Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

5 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Blissful, isn’t it! 

Still half dozy / half pissed from the night before, ideally feeling only tired with one of those ‘kind hangovers’.

Watching the hardcore late night caners trooping home happy and juuuuuust slightly louder than we want them to be, but heyyyy, it’s Glastonbury. They’re not doing any harm. The ground a bit dewey, maybe a little mist and / or the steam of sleeping bodies and swiftly warming tents hovering in the air. 

The distant clang of a local long drop door, the hungry shitty guzzling hum of a gully sucker emptying out their tanks, a tractor over there somewhere.

Bloody hell. Not long now!

Man that's some sweet poetry right there :)

15 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Blissful, isn’t it! 

Still half dozy / half pissed from the night before, ideally feeling only tired with one of those ‘kind hangovers’.

Watching the hardcore late night caners trooping home happy and juuuuuust slightly louder than we want them to be, but heyyyy, it’s Glastonbury. They’re not doing any harm. The ground a bit dewey, maybe a little mist and / or the steam of sleeping bodies and swiftly warming tents hovering in the air. 

The distant clang of a local long drop door, the hungry shitty guzzling hum of a gully sucker emptying out their tanks, a tractor over there somewhere.

Close my eyes and I'm there. Beautiful stuff Woffy

33 minutes ago, Stubbsy55 said:

Anyone help me out?? I changed addresses two weeks ago and have been sent a new driving ID with my new address. Will this effect my ticket with my old address on (ticket has already been delivered) or should it all still be ok?? 

Do you mean in terms of your proof of ID matching the info. on your ticket?

1 minute ago, Woffy said:

Do you mean in terms of your proof of ID matching the info. on your ticket?

Yes my new driving licence has come through and the address does not match the one on the ticket (only moved two weeks ago). My photo is obviously still the same. 

Just now, Stubbsy55 said:

Yes my new driving licence has come through and the address does not match the one on the ticket (only moved two weeks ago). My photo is obviously still the same. 

The photos will still match though. Perhaps take a utility type bill just in case. But I'm sure you'll be fine. If you're worried about the ticket check as you enter the festival they'll probably be more concerned with making sure you match your photo and would only want to see additional ID if you look different to your picture.

Happy to be corrected by others on here though.

17 minutes ago, Stubbsy55 said:

They will only ask for a secondary form of ID if you look nothing like the photo on the ticket. If you look the same then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

14 hours ago, Woffy said:

Blissful, isn’t it! 

Brought a tear to my eye that did.

• Upvote 1

This was mentioned in another thread, but it reminded me how useful it can be:

https://what3words.com/super.family.mealtime

it's an app (and website) that can give you a three word code that represents a 3m square anywhere in the world, so 'super.family.mealtime' is pretty much the queue for the ciderbus :D

I'll be using it to meet my buddies in CVEast who are arriving at different times. Also useful to 'tag' your tent or tell people where the cool bar with no name you just found is located.

It requires data to work though, so would be reliant on the network at the festival working ok.

27 minutes ago, paulshane said:

This was mentioned in another thread, but it reminded me how useful it can be:

https://what3words.com/super.family.mealtime

it's an app (and website) that can give you a three word code that represents a 3m square anywhere in the world, so 'super.family.mealtime' is pretty much the queue for the ciderbus :D

I'll be using it to meet my buddies in CVEast who are arriving at different times. Also useful to 'tag' your tent or tell people where the cool bar with no name you just found is located.

It requires data to work though, so would be reliant on the network at the festival working ok.

If you install the app, it works offline

7 minutes ago, ceetee said:

If you install the app, it works offline

wow, didn't know that :)

The what3words system uses a mathematical algorithm, held in a package around 20MB in size. As such, it will comfortably fit on a modern smartphone. It means that you can search for a 3 word address online and offline, or where a data connection is unreliable.

data still useful to download the satellite imagary of the location though, a point in a blank page not always as useful :)

6 minutes ago, paulshane said:

wow, didn't know that :)

The what3words system uses a mathematical algorithm, held in a package around 20MB in size. As such, it will comfortably fit on a modern smartphone. It means that you can search for a 3 word address online and offline, or where a data connection is unreliable.

data still useful to download the satellite imagary of the location though, a point in a blank page not always as useful :)

Yeah the map is useful, but this will be cached - so you only need data for a few seconds to get it downloaded (and the mobile service isn't that bad most of the time)

5 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Girlfriend has a tendency toward back and shoulder pain and is wondering about the viability of a hand-pumped air bed rather than sleeping bags on a lumpy ground sheet...

...is this going to be something that sounds like a good idea but is hell in actuality? Or, if not, anyone got tips on it?

Absolutely! I've taken an airbed every year I've been going. I have a foot pump that I used to use with it.

Now, though, we take a self-inflating airbed which is not quite as comfy but a lot lighter to carry. Sleeping straight on the ground sheet would kill me!

6 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Girlfriend has a tendency toward back and shoulder pain and is wondering about the viability of a hand-pumped air bed rather than sleeping bags on a lumpy ground sheet...

...is this going to be something that sounds like a good idea but is hell in actuality? Or, if not, anyone got tips on it?

I took one in 2017 and it was an absolute godsend. I’ll certainly be bringing it again this year. I used a foot pump thingy which was fairly miserable on the Wednesday due to the fact that it was hotter than the sun, I might try to pick up a little battery powered pump this time out.

summary: they fold up small and really aren’t that cumbersome, it will definitely improve the quality of your “minimal” sleep. Bring it!

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ages since I bought any of my kit but it's all widely available and pretty cheap! The foot pumps are no bother at all really on a normal temperature year. 

Agree with this. It was mildly amusing for others watching me sweat last time around but the reality was it was done in 5 mins and well worth the effort for 5 nights of comparative comfort!

(tip: bring a fitted sheet for additional comfort!)

This isn't really a "hack" but it's a route that quite a few people seem to forget about.

If you're going from Pyramid to Acoustic or Theatre & Circus or vica versa, taking the path along the top of Kidney Mead can be much, much quicker than the more typical route through the main markets. As a bonus it takes you past the excellent and relatively cheap cafe run by Street Sub Aqua Club at the bottom of Cockmill Family Camping. Follow the yellow line..

2017327285_pyramidtoacoustic.png.7d609ceb65fc4e70813d5ccb0e129f1d.png

Not tried it for getting to the SE Corner, but I suspect it'd help for that as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Corredera55 said:

Anyone have any techniques on how to carry large quantities of alcohol? 

You came to the right place. 

Now spend the next three weeks reading the hundreds of threads about which trolley is best, how great the lockups are, how many trips to the car various parties do, etc :D