Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

May have been posted already, but mine is to use bags of wine instead of ice packs / ice to keep your cool box cool. 

If you are bringing a cool box with booze, and have ambitions of chilling them, then freezing a bag of goon is the best way imo. In '17 our two bags kept a stash of beers cool until Saturday afternoon and we still had chilled Pinot Grigio to drink on Sunday. 

51 minutes ago, Stubbsy55 said:

any idea what the walking time is from worthy view to shangri la?

42 minutes ago, rubick said:

You could do that in about half-an-hour depending on footfall and ground conditions. 

As long as it's not busy you can do it in 15 - cut through the sacred space. 

On 5/25/2019 at 4:16 PM, MilkyJoe said:

Although don't leave it too late, I had to trek round a few of them in 2016 before I found one that still had stock. 

Pick mine up on the way in from Ped Gate A after getting off the coach.  It's done, and I get some nice fresh water straight away!

That's a good hint if we're talking water bottles - you don't need to refill them at the WaterAid points.

The water from the WaterAid points is the same water as from the taps everywhere else on site.

If I see queues twenty deep standing holding empty bottles outside one of those booths again when there's a tap next to it left unused I reserve the right to shout at people

• Like 1

May have been posted already but...

Get a 5-litre water bottle from the supermarket. Once empty, take it to the festival and fill it after you arrive (or when there is no queue for the tap) and leave in the tent. Usually lasts me the whole weekend.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone got experience with TravelJohn™

1 minute ago, frostypaw said:

TravelJohns are great, but another bottle you can refill is better. Old conditioner ones are king for wide mouth and pre-installed fragrance

The 5 litre bottles are a better bet for me.  Handle makes it easy to loop onto your rucksack for the walk in, saving rucksack space.  Also easier to transport when emptying during the fest

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The 5 litre bottles are a better bet for me.  Handle makes it easy to loop onto your rucksack for the walk in, saving rucksack space.  Also easier to transport when emptying during the fest

5 litres? Maybe it's time to switch to spirits...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Quark said:

Also easier to transport when emptying during the fest

As good as travel johns may be, I can't shake the feeling that I'd be holding on to what is an open bag of piss as I take it to be disposed.

And surely they'll have a worse impact on the environment than a comfort bottle that gets emptied into the long drops?

Just now, Kinkyinuit said:

And surely they'll have a worse impact on the environment than a comfort bottle that gets emptied into the long drops?

As bad as an impact they have on the environment, from what's been said in previous years they have an even worse impact on the (volunteer) recycling crew when they burst and the piss-gel goes everywhere.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

5 litres? Maybe it's time to switch to spirits...

I need a big neck... :D  Save me emptying it every day as well

The double bonus is that for any tent thieves it looks a lot like scrumpy...

• Upvote 1

Just now, incident said:

As bad as an impact they have on the environment, from what's been said in previous years they have an even worse impact on the (volunteer) recycling crew when they burst and the piss-gel goes everywhere.

Yeah but that is kinda funny.

At least compared to just liquid in a bottle bursting 

Just now, incident said:

Jesus christ.  Yeah I would just amputate what ever body part came in contact with the piss gel to be honest.

At least a bottle of piss is (hopefully) sealed.  

57 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Jesus christ.  Yeah I would just amputate what ever body part came in contact with the piss gel to be honest.

At least a bottle of piss is (hopefully) sealed.  

They were usually pre-burst thankfully(?). The first time I came across one was a bit

'how is there ice... oh wait... jellly?... Oh... OH GOD ??'

Nothing you can do about them either- just have to leave them to mank into the grass/ get eaten by the cows eventually...

At least piss bottles can get binned- but anecdotally I've heard they have to open and empty them in the recycling centre... Pour it down the long drops or in the urinals people!!

Hangover related, and dont think it was this thread, but someone did mention a couple of weeks back about these salt drops that they added to whatever they were drinking through the day, and that they were amazing for fending off a mega hangover. Just about to start purchasing things for my first aid kit, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bonjela is an essential. Tiniest little mouth ulcer from...well, anything, can be annoyingly painful. 

18 minutes ago, yehbutnobut said:

Hangover related, and dont think it was this thread, but someone did mention a couple of weeks back about these salt drops that they added to whatever they were drinking through the day, and that they were amazing for fending off a mega hangover. Just about to start purchasing things for my first aid kit, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dioralyte?

Or try anything recommended in (long distance / ultra) running magazines for salt replenishment. Salt tablets are harder to get in supermarkets and their pharmacies - even Boots - now. But your Lloyd’s-type pharmacies should have ‘em. 

Edited by Woffy

4 hours ago, yehbutnobut said:

I think there was a better offer on when i posted it but it's these things

https://eletewater.co.uk/collections/all/products/elete-web-special-1

I'd say just get the little or midsized bottle and at least write it off against all isotonic drinks you might ever be tempted by

There's an argument at this point it counts as warm weather prep tho so maybe buy wellies instead as a sacrifice to the weather gods.