Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I’ll go with a small backpack, and look for one that won’t get me too hot. I will probably end up buying mixers on site rather than carry them round  (although I guess it can be a pain if you’re in a big crowd?)  

Im staying in a Tipi, so not sure how practical it will be for me to pop back to the tipi to get anything. How far are the tipis from some of the main stage? (Pyramid, West holts?) 

Saw these the other week in Decathalon & seem a great idea for a day bag for festivals of using for booze etc 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-compact-hiking-backpack-10l-blue-id_8348925.html

Once everything is gone, can fold it down & pop in your pocket. 

Plus for £1.99 can’t really go wrong.

Tempted to grab one myself, now just need to decide which colour to go for...

17B6845E-3AC1-49D2-8C94-881F29146399.png

• Upvote 2

Th

25 minutes ago, TJGthree said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I’ll go with a small backpack, and look for one that won’t get me too hot. I will probably end up buying mixers on site rather than carry them round  (although I guess it can be a pain if you’re in a big crowd?)  

Im staying in a Tipi, so not sure how practical it will be for me to pop back to the tipi to get anything. How far are the tipis from some of the main stage? (Pyramid, West holts?) 

Think about using the lockups to save carrying a heavy weight around all day. Put essentials in a bum bag and supplies for the day in a day sack. Drop the day sack off at a lock up near where you are spending the day and then get it out when you need it. 

56 minutes ago, TJGthree said:

The tipis are in a great location so it will be easy to go back and stock up, bit of a trek from The Pyramid but pretty close to West Holts. 

Charm x

52 minutes ago, matichin said:

On the steel water bottles, worth noting that even if you haven't preordered them already you can just buy one from the Wateraid kiosks anyway. Got one in 2017 and take it everywhere now. The water tastes much better from them too! 

Although don't leave it too late, I had to trek round a few of them in 2016 before I found one that still had stock. 

5 hours ago, gherring8 said:

Saw these the other week in Decathalon & seem a great idea for a day bag for festivals of using for booze etc 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-compact-hiking-backpack-10l-blue-id_8348925.html

I got the 20L version. A bit bigger obviously.. but more useful IMHO.

Tesco are selling two folding camp chairs for 12quid.  Ideal for sitting outside your tent in the morning but not for clogging up the pyramid field and getting on other folks tits. And just because they are only six quid each please please don’t ditch them at the end of the festival, take em home with you along with everything else!, 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, gherring8 said:

I’ve just ordered one of these. My “local” store is Poole! So had to pay for home delivery which cost more than the bag :lol: 

Worth getting one though. Just hope it’s sturdy enough to hold alcohol as it can be quite heavy.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:43 PM, hfuhruhurr said:

Interesting - never considered this - usually have the world's most uncomfortable stool stuffed in my bag.

Is it ok as a day bag? - not too big, easy to carry?

Yes it’s big enough for beer and a seat and small enough to carry without getting tired

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/23/2019 at 7:56 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Rinse it out with cold water, hang it on a guy rope , should be dry by next day. Do not, I repeat do not use for bollocks or any other area below the waist. Resort to baby wipes for that area. No way should you expose your fellow campers to the sight of a skid marked flannel hanging from the tent.

It was the areas south of the waist that I was referring to. Wet flannel wash face and move downwards, never ever upwards

We use a dry bag as our day bag. Our crew camp is too far to schlep back and forth from so its pretty big but as it is a dry bag you can put it down and nothing gets wet etc. 

The sherpa (husband) has to carry it obvs leaving me hands free.

https://www.over-board.co.uk/collections/waterproof-backpacks/products/waterproof-backpack-30ltr-blue

Re bags, not a great tip and it contradicts advise to use the lockups etc but it works for me. I’ve got a north face rucksack that packs down to a tiny size. I pack all my stuff, alcohol etc into it as well as a bum bag. At the end of the day when I’ve drunk all my booze and maybe put any clothing on that was also in the bag as I’m getting chilly , I’ll pack the bag down and put it in the bum bag along with my phone, cards, remaining loo roll, sanitizer etc.

It’s all very well having a bag that can be folded down and put in your pocket but I tend to still have a lot of other stuff that needs housing and I might not have enough pockets to safely keep everything such as my phone. As long as the bum bag is big enough it works well.  I could of course just keep the bag on my back but all the valuable stuff is safer in a bum bag than on your back.

On 5/25/2019 at 3:30 PM, matichin said:

On the steel water bottles, worth noting that even if you haven't preordered them already you can just buy one from the Wateraid kiosks anyway. Got one in 2017 and take it everywhere now. The water tastes much better from them too! 

I've pre-ordered one, do you still need to collect from a Wateraid kiosk?

Put your cans under the ground sheet to keep them cool (nature's fridge), bitter is better warm then lager is. I have a Carabiner clipped to my bag, useful for clipping to toilet doors etc. Those Robinsons Squash'd things are tiny, lll light, and make the water taste better. Zinc Oxide tape for your feet, stops you getting blisters. 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:18 PM, PaintedInSand said:

One thing I've had huge success from is using the lock up tents as an ATM. Not all places accept cards, so depositing your cash on day one and drawing some out every morning on your toilet trip (they're open 24 hours) is a Godsend. Much less of a queue than an ATM and you get a nice chat and free bog roll with it. 

Why do you need so much money for your toilet trips?