Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

On 5/16/2019 at 1:30 PM, FloorFiller said:

Anybody got any tips or tricks for making the carrying of crates a little less awkward when coming on site that doesn’t involve a trolley? Was thinking maybe using one of those big Ikea bags carried in between two people, but open for suggestions if anybody’s conjured up a genius idea of their own. Apologies if already covered.

I was plannning on bringing a shopping trolley this year as I couldn't bare the palm pain from the IKEA bag handles this year!!

Would you not recommend bringing one like the image attached? Is this just because they are bastard to lug around when on site? 

image.png

Just now, buffy394 said:

Would you not recommend bringing one like the image attached? Is this just because they are bastard to lug around when on site?

Usually the main problem with most trolleys is that they're not designed for the kind of terrain you'll encounter at Glastonbury. Even when it's dry it'll be bumpy as anything, and if it get's muddy then that'll really play havoc. The one in the picture doesn't look like it'll stand up to much of that.

Best thing to do for any trolley/cart/etc is to look at the Load Rating - then remember that the load rating was calculated on a perfectly flat and hard floor so cut it in at least half. If they don't give a load rating, that's not a good sign.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Usually the main problem with most trolleys is that they're not designed for the kind of terrain you'll encounter at Glastonbury. Even when it's dry it'll be bumpy as anything, and if it get's muddy then that'll really play havoc. The one in the picture doesn't look like it'll stand up to much of that.

Best thing to do for any trolley/cart/etc is to look at the Load Rating - then remember that the load rating was calculated on a perfectly flat and hard floor so cut it in at least half. If they don't give a load rating, that's not a good sign.

Thanks for the advice.  I couldn't think of anything worse than getting it there for it to fall apart and chuck all my possessions into the mud haha. 

Im coming on the train from London and theres quite a lot of walking around/dragging involved from Walthamstow to Castle Cary so I'm trying to decide the best way to bring crates! Im not very strong unfortunately!

2 hours ago, buffy394 said:

Thanks for the advice.  I couldn't think of anything worse than getting it there for it to fall apart and chuck all my possessions into the mud haha. 

Im coming on the train from London and theres quite a lot of walking around/dragging involved from Walthamstow to Castle Cary so I'm trying to decide the best way to bring crates! Im not very strong unfortunately!

Every year there is a sea of sad destroyed trollies like this one. As @incident said it wont last two minutes- even if it's dry the wheels will come off!! Coming on the train gotta say I'd minimise what you carry. A sack trolley with proper wheels will be much sturdier but maybe not very practical on the train!!

2 hours ago, LeeHC said:

Every year there is a sea of sad destroyed trollies like this one. As @incident said it wont last two minutes- even if it's dry the wheels will come off!! Coming on the train gotta say I'd minimise what you carry. A sack trolley with proper wheels will be much sturdier but maybe not very practical on the train!!

It can be done... But I don't recommend it (Our first year in 2009: trains and coaches ? [and no face ?]) 

sketch-1558374025415.png

5 hours ago, buffy394 said:

Don't bring crates 100% you will hate yourself with the weight transporting it through all that.

Work out a spirits/wine based solution - and remember how lovely warm white wine is.

That type of trolley die before people get to the queue, they're only for smooth surfaces really. The big sack truck type above will work but create their own problem getting it on/off public transport. 

Just to check:

People carrying in single crates of beer/cider/cans by hand *are* sticking some duct tape around the box to prevent it from disintegrating and all your cans spilling everywhere, right?

You are? Good. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Just to check:

People carrying in single crates of beer/cider/cans by hand *are* sticking some duct tape around the box to prevent it from disintegrating and all your cans spilling everywhere, right?

You are? Good. 

Got the coach in 2014, my one crate of beers completely fell apart as I was walking onto the site :fie:

13 minutes ago, joeruss said:

Got the coach in 2014, my one crate of beers completely fell apart as I was walking onto the site :fie:

Horrific, dude.

And carrying in 18 to 24 loose cans is pretty much impossible unless you're a professional juggler.

Apologies if anyone has already posted this and sorry I don't know who to credit for it, but its good.

Write 'Glastonbury 2019' - and you festival buddies mobile number on a piece of paper and then photograph it. Set that as your locked screen saver.

Most people are decent enough to ring your mate if they find your phone. Chances are they're only going to be a few feet away too, so no searching for it in any number of lost property places.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, smudger said:

Apologies if anyone has already posted this and sorry I don't know who to credit for it, but its good.

Write 'Glastonbury 2019' - and you festival buddies mobile number on a piece of paper and then photograph it. Set that as your locked screen saver.

Most people are decent enough to ring your mate if they find your phone. Chances are they're only going to be a few feet away too, so no searching for it in any number of lost property places.

I love this thread. What a simple but brilliant idea.

A little tip that I imagine most sensible people worked out a long time ago but it took me (too) many festival to think of it 

If you wear glasses take a glasses case with you so you've got somewhere to keep your glasses for sleepy time 

I must have done a good 10 festivals precariously placing my glasses around my tent until I realised 

1 hour ago, sloseph said:

A little tip that I imagine most sensible people worked out a long time ago but it took me (too) many festival to think of it 

If you wear glasses take a glasses case with you so you've got somewhere to keep your glasses for sleepy time 

I must have done a good 10 festivals precariously placing my glasses around my tent until I realised 

I take a spare pair and leave in my spares bag in the car ... just in case :) and in the case 

Yeah I used to put my glasses in one of my shoes for safe keeping overnight

My festival tip for glasses or contact lense wearers is laser eye surgery. Literally the biggest change to my life apart from perhaps having kids. Could not recommend it enough. The laser eye surgery that is, not kids. They spoil festivals. 

Edited by uscore
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, _.mark._ said:

Mine is toilet roll in a clear ziploc bag, for the off chance that it rains so hard the contents of your bag gets soaking wet..

I tend to take the tube out of the middle and pull from inside out so it stays in the bag.

3684D4E8-C5C5-41B3-85A8-B9A547548CB3.jpeg

Is that some sort of firearm on the floor?

39 minutes ago, _.mark._ said:

Mine is toilet roll in a clear ziploc bag, for the off chance that it rains so hard the contents of your bag gets soaking wet..

I tend to take the tube out of the middle and pull from inside out so it stays in the bag.

3684D4E8-C5C5-41B3-85A8-B9A547548CB3.jpeg

Not sure if the taking out the cardboard middle and pulling the paper from the inside is even more savvy than the zip lock bag itself. Something simple but much easier than unravelling it when drunk/wavey. Genius.

13 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Not sure if the taking out the cardboard middle and pulling the paper from the inside is even more savvy than the zip lock bag itself. Something simple but much easier than unravelling it when drunk/wavey. Genius.

Very obvious (possible) further improvement, I just take a couple of half used rolls since there so much smaller to carry round