Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

6 minutes ago, Anarion said:

I thought the ban was just for water bottles? Can't imagine any kiosk people would bother showing up if they couldn't sell coke or such drinks.

I guess they will be selling coke in tins. 

Charm x

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Hmm I was under the impression it was all one use plastic bottles including soft drinks. Or have I just totally got that wrong?

Nope, you got it right. They've confirmed it includes soft drinks and milk, and that both will still be available in other containers (presumably Cans and Cartons respectively).

For those wondering where to find taps (of which there are hundreds apparently), on the Glasto website it says:

”Free drinking water will be available from all bars across the site”

It also says

“Canned soft drinks and canned Life Water  will be available to purchase from all traders who previously sold soft drinks in plastic bottles”

Dont buy canned water when it’s free from the bars and the taps though - that’s just silly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Dont buy canned water when it’s free from the bars and the taps though - that’s just silly.

And still they will sell thousands of them. We just bring those little squash thingies and mix with the water from the taps so tastes fine and keeps me somewhat hydrated. 

On 5/2/2019 at 2:23 AM, frostypaw said:

This is my number 1 tip for a pleasant and happy festival if it's hot, you're drinking and having fun -  you will sweat and lose salts and a lot of the grumpy tired and hangover is not lack of sugar or water but lack of salt. Sugar gives a bit of a burst but it's not the same and straight table salt isn't the answer.

Dioralyte is also not quite the answer - those are for after diarrhoea and while they'll workish it's expensive, the proper electrolyte fizzy drink tabs are nice but also kinda dear, gunk things up and like the diarolyte has to be taken as one big dose.

Best thing I've found is these guys https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elete-ELE-001-25ml-Pocket-Bottle/dp/B003VJTMI8/ref=asc_df_B003VJTMI8/ - bit of random find on holiday but they're brilliant and solve all the issues.

The advantage is it's drops so you can make up any volume/strength you want or even just put it in your cider or a snack. There's no extra tablet junk or fizz or flavour so it's barely noticable and works in bladders/bottles/whatever without gunk and keeping your salts up in advance reduces how much water you need to drink.

Try some sort of electrolyte thing though, the sports folk doing their sweating aren't fools and you'll be happier for it.

Also regular pooping is your friend - try and program yourself into a daytime habit and go somewhere not so busy and it can all be peaceful and fine. It's ending up somewhere not optimal cos you've been putting it off that'll getcha.

Seems quite expensive. Is it possible to buy a bigger bottle and decant into some kind of squirty bottle? How much of this stuff should be taken each day?

Just read that apparently paracetemol is bad if you're hungover and you should take ibuprofen instead!

On 5/9/2019 at 6:08 PM, Rubber Soldier said:

Don’t imagine the tetrapak cartons are recyclable either tbh. 

TetraPak is very recyclable. In the Greenpeace field a few years back there was even an Information point about it. 

Whether the recycling at GF can cope with it is another matter!

3 hours ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Seems quite expensive. Is it possible to buy a bigger bottle and decant into some kind of squirty bottle? How much of this stuff should be taken each day?

It's not really an "amount every day" thing just when you're doing stuff that gets you sweaty or around drinking.

And yeah that's the best way to do it.
https://eletewater.co.uk/collections/all/products/elete-web-special-1

29p a litre is not bad going - nuun tabs are over 120p for the same, diarolyte 315p - though that's maybe unfair as the diarolyte is a bit stronger so maybe more 200p for comparison.

I know that others have already correctly suggested to use the Lock Ups and one or two other bits may have been posted, but I want to expand on that a bit and add some extra bits regarding money at the festival and bring it all together.

The lock ups will happily take just a wallet or other small items - the way they operate this is to put it inside an envelope and get you to sign across the seal. Then when you take some money out of it, they'll ditch that envelope and repeat the process with a new one. This way you can be confident that not only has nobody taken your stuff, they've not even looked at your cards, ID etc.

For cards, most online banking apps these days have the option to selectively "Pause/Freeze" your card. I'd strongly suggest doing this when you're not intending to use it, that way if the card is pickpocketed or taken while you're asleep, or just outright lost, then you've got no worries and no rush to alert the bank and to see what damage has been done.

Better yet - there's now various app-based banking companies that will allow you to set up effectively a free bank account and/or prepaid debit card (precisely what they offer varies by company but it all amounts to the same thing for these purposes) - you can use their apps to transfer money over from your regular bank account as needed so even if the thing gets mislaid or stolen, and even if you've forgotten to pause it, there's still no danger of anyone getting access to your main bank / credit card accounts and the worst damage they can do is whatever you've currently got on the card.

The mostly free ones I'm aware of - check their sites/apps for precise details -
Starling (totally free, as far as I can tell)
Monzo (only fees are on overseas ATM withdrawls)
Loot (only fees are if you go over 2 ATM withdrawls a month)

Personally speaking - I'll be leaving most of my cash, my driving licence, and my paused "real" bank card in a Lock Up. I'll be carrying around a second wallet with just a token amount of cash (probably around 30-40 quid) and a Loot card, which I'll top up daily and then use to pay by contactless wherever possible (and leave paused overnight). If enough stalls accept contactless this year, then hopefully I shouldn't need to return to the lockup until I'm getting ready to leave, but it's nice to know it's there as a fallback.

And oh yeah, as others have suggested, take a photo of your Lockup receipt and ensure it's backed up to a cloud service - Google Drive or whatever the Apple one is called. That way if you lose your receipt you're covered, and even if you lose your phone you'll ultimately be OK.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 6

for those of you that do prefer to wash your hands properly these little towels from go outdoors for about £3 are excellent, they clip onto your belt and the towel is also clipped on the inside so you dont have to worry about the whole thing coming out when you pull it out to dry your hands, it then stuffs back in super easy, they are also good if you sweat a lot and they dry very quickly. 

capri sun pouches as someone mentioned already are good for taking your spirits in, a full one will last you a day depending on how much you drink and will fold up tiny when you are done, you can then fill it back up ready for the next day from your big bottle. 

box wine can be blown up and used as a pillow.

disposable camera! this is one of our must haves now, i took one last year and everyone laughed but they ended up eating their words when they turned out to be the best photos of the whole festival and most places give you a disc copy of the pics now too. (and its fun to get your pics back after the festival and find out which ones worked or didnt. )

laminate your list, if you have a paper print out of everything you want to see try and print it to match the size of the guardian lanyard and laminate it, that way you can attach it to that and not have to worry if it gets wet. 

i noticed people mentioned using the hook on the toilets to hang your bag, you can also hold onto this hook to hold yourself in a squat position if you really cant bear to sit down. 

i take a telescopic light up sword with me too so my group can follow me through a crowd at night, way easier to see than flags (this is a bit bulky though so only useful if you carry a backpack. 

60404354_2093385617625215_8718817407977652224_n.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, incident said:

For cards, most online banking apps these days have the option to selectively "Pause/Freeze" your card. I'd strongly suggest doing this when you're not intending to use it, that way if the card is pickpocketed or taken while you're asleep, or just outright lost, then you've got no worries and no rush to alert the bank and to see what damage has been done.

My bank have just started offering this. Hadn't thought of using it proactively rather than reactivly. Excellent tip

Edited by philipsteak

On 5/9/2019 at 2:34 PM, FloorFiller said:

It’s not a ban - you can bring your own with you and decant as needed etc - they just won’t be selling any at the festival, which makes getting mixers a little trickier as it used to be very convenient to just buy a bottle of coke, drink the top quarter and then add spirit as needed. Having to buy cans all the time and decanting them is a bit of a pain in the arse, and the cost will soon add up as you plough through them. 

Hi Everyone, hearing some good tips on here, just wondered if these would help with the decanting into can problem, sort of turns the can into a sealable bottle. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fizzy-Drinks-Can-Lid-Top/dp/B077Z55948

6 hours ago, incident said:

I know that others have already correctly suggested to use the Lock Ups and one or two other bits may have been posted, but I want to expand on that a bit and add some extra bits regarding money at the festival and bring it all together.

The lock ups will happily take just a wallet or other small items - the way they operate this is to put it inside an envelope and get you to sign across the seal. Then when you take some money out of it, they'll ditch that envelope and repeat the process with a new one. This way you can be confident that not only has nobody taken your stuff, they've not even looked at your cards, ID etc.

Better yet - there's now various app-based banking companies that will allow you to set up effectively a free bank account and/or prepaid debit card (precisely what they offer varies by company but it all amounts to the same thing for these purposes) - you can use their apps to transfer money over from your regular bank account as needed so even if the thing gets mislaid or stolen, and even if you've forgotten to pause it, there's still no danger of anyone getting access to your main bank / credit card accounts and the worst damage they can do is whatever you've currently got on the card.

The mostly free ones I'm aware of - check their sites/apps for precise details -
Starling (totally free, as far as I can tell)
Monzo (only fees are on overseas ATM withdrawls)
Loot (only fees are if you go over 2 ATM withdrawls a month)

Personally speaking - I'll be leaving most of my cash, my driving licence, and my paused "real" bank card in a Lock Up. I'll be carrying around a second wallet with just a token amount of cash (probably around 30-40 quid) and a Loot card, which I'll top up daily and then use to pay by contactless wherever possible (and leave paused overnight). If enough stalls accept contactless this year, then hopefully I shouldn't need to return to the lockup until I'm getting ready to leave, but it's nice to know it's there as a fallback.

And oh yeah, as others have suggested, take a photo of your Lockup receipt and ensure it's backed up to a cloud service - Google Drive or whatever the Apple one is called. That way if you lose your receipt you're covered, and even if you lose your phone you'll ultimately be OK.

Thanks for this.  Thinking it through, I don't do phone banking but found the idea of a separate card with only a limited amount on it interesting.  But without transferring money everyday, I would have to put the whole week's spend on it, so it would be the equivalent of carrying all my money around all the time.  But you have made me think that even if contactless is available,  the danger of carrying my card round is too great so I think I will do as I usually do and take cash and get some out from the lock-up when I need it.  

I know I'm behind the times, but is it really worth doing phone banking?  I'm a bit unsure of it - I do it from my laptop and have just never really found the need not to wait until I get home.  Advantages and disadvantages?

1 hour ago, jaimebionic said:

for those of you that do prefer to wash your hands properly these little towels from go outdoors for about £3 are excellent, they clip onto your belt and the towel is also clipped on the inside so you dont have to worry about the whole thing coming out when you pull it out to dry your hands, it then stuffs back in super easy, they are also good if you sweat a lot and they dry very quickly. . 

60404354_2093385617625215_8718817407977652224_n.jpg

I bought one today, but not for washing my hands, I have another use that requires the utmost cleanliness - they are excellent cloths for cleaning glasses and packing them into the little bag helps keep them much cleaner than keeping a cloth in a pocket. It got me through 2016 without getting any lens scratching particles on them. 

This wil be our second Glasto so still a newbie, but our first was the 2016 year of the mud, we learnt a few things not least pack light as possible. my trolley weighed a ton but pulled along nicely on concrete, not the same in thick mud, which seemed to be sticky and clog up the trolley wheels.

My wife is not the camping type and has a fear of public loos, so going to Glasto was hard for her, although she loved it, despite me running my heavy trolley over her toe on the monday morning ending up with her loosing a toenail. the only tips i can give which helped her get through it were, eye mask, ear plugs and hot water bottle for bedtime, ( taking a jetboil this year which is light and small ) she put wet wipes up her nose when going in the loos, and as she gets migraines, we brought a few travel john wee bags in case she was stuck in the tent, ( which she was all day saturday where we didn't see 1 band ), these were great for her to use on that first wee every morning as she would not have made the trek and queuing for 20 mins for a loo, as she has to go as soon as she get vertical in the morning.

We are doing a lot of things different this year but are buzzing to be going again.

51 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Thanks for this.  Thinking it through, I don't do phone banking but found the idea of a separate card with only a limited amount on it interesting.  But without transferring money everyday, I would have to put the whole week's spend on it, so it would be the equivalent of carrying all my money around all the time.  But you have made me think that even if contactless is available,  the danger of carrying my card round is too great so I think I will do as I usually do and take cash and get some out from the lock-up when I need it.  

I know I'm behind the times, but is it really worth doing phone banking?  I'm a bit unsure of it - I do it from my laptop and have just never really found the need not to wait until I get home.  Advantages and disadvantages?

Advantages -

• you get notifications every time money goes into/out of your account so you know exactly when the card has been used;
  • you can see your exact balance at any time;
  • but most importantly, as incident said you can lock your card using the app on your phone so even if you lose it it can't be used.

If you're worried about having to transfer money into a spends account then take a look at Curve card - this is a proxy card that you link your real cards to and when you use it the transaction gets re-charged to one of your real cards of your choosing. With a Curve card you get all the benefits above but you don't need to open a new account or keep a balance on it.

https://www.curve.app/en-gb/cards

The Blue one is free. It works really well.

Edited by MoilyX

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I bought one today, but not for washing my hands, I have another use that requires the utmost cleanliness - they are excellent cloths for cleaning glasses and packing them into the little bag helps keep them much cleaner than keeping a cloth in a pocket. It got me through 2016 without getting any lens scratching particles on them. 

I remember you gifting me one of these one year. They are good.

31 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

Advantages -

• you get notifications every time money goes into/out of your account so you know exactly when the card has been used;
  • you can see your exact balance at any time;
  • but most importantly, as incident said you can lock your card using the app on your phone so even if you lose it it can't be used.

If you're worried about having to transfer money into a spends account then take a look at Curve card - this is a proxy card that you link your real cards to and when you use it the transaction gets re-charged to one of your real cards of your choosing. With a Curve card you get all the benefits above but you don't need to open a new account or keep a balance on it.

https://www.curve.app/en-gb/cards

The Blue one is free. It works really well.

Thanks.  I may have had too much to drink to understand this but what is the advantage - if you lose your card, isn't it the same as losing all your money?

19 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Did I? I let you have a go, or I gave you the whole cloth?? I don't remember that (although I can get giddy and forget things!)

You gave me a whole cloth. I think it was yellow.

Edited by MrZigster

9 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

You gave me a whole cloth. I think it was yellow.

Ah right, an ordinary micro fibre cloth. That's what I use most of the time in real life, but these little ones from Go Outdoors are next level, they are even better than the one I gave you and easier to keep clean. Too expensive to use all year round, but cheaper than new glasses when you scratch mud into the lenses.

7 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Thanks.  I may have had too much to drink to understand this but what is the advantage - if you lose your card, isn't it the same as losing all your money?

No because you can put a block on your card from your phone (as long as you don't lose that as well!).

With the app you can block/unblock your card at will, without needing the physical card in your hands.Once the Curve card is blocked it can't be used by whoever has it.

And because you still have your real cards at home/locked in the car/stashed in the lockups you will still be able to use those whilst you wait for the replacement Curve card to be sent out to you. 

On 5/1/2019 at 10:36 PM, hmmmloddy said:

When there's a choice, use a toilet that a woman has just come from. They are more likely to have chosen a decent one or tidied it up enough to make it more pleasant. But for god's sake, leave it as good (if not better) than you found it.

Also, Mrs Hmmmloddy says if you are a woman then the official shewee areas are an absolute delight. The girls staffing it are super helpful, very caring and nice. Once you've mastered the technique it's also very free-ing apparently.

This always used to be the case, but in the last couple of years I have found that using a loo that a man holding a looroll has come out of, as he has had a poo and made it nice before sitting!!! Ladies sometimes hover (why?!?!?) and wee EVERYWHERE. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

This always used to be the case, but in the last couple of years I have found that using a loo that a man holding a looroll has come out of, as he has had a poo and made it nice before sitting!!! Ladies sometimes hover (why?!?!?) and wee EVERYWHERE. 

That was me, and you're welcome.

• Like 1