Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

55 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

You can pick them up in Halfords as well for around £2.

Are they any good though? I've had a couple from poundland and the heads act like they're made of powerball material and just bounce straight off a tent peg on hard ground.without any going into the ground effect.

28 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Are they any good though? I've had a couple from poundland and the heads act like they're made of powerball material and just bounce straight off a tent peg on hard ground.without any going into the ground effect.

Mine's been OK although I've never used it on rock hard ground. 

24 minutes ago, barkley87 said:

I got this from the boards a few years ago and still find it helpful. I take a laminated version every year.

Bo0ttLgCMAA4qf9.jpg

This is always a decent guide if you're a newbie / don't know your way around too well, but i think it's pre-the Peel Tent move innit?

Also, i reckon a lot of seasoned Glasto-goers will be having a bimble more than usual this year purely due to all the new stuff on the map.

Edited by Woffy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

This is always a decent guide if you're a newbie / don't know your way around too well, but i think it's pre-the Peel Tent move innit?

Also, i reckon a lot of seasoned Glasto-goers will be having a bimble more than usual this year purely due to all the new stuff on the map.

Still, it's always useful if you've got an act you want to catch so you know what time to set off. Especially when you're as obsessed with planning as me.

I dunno when it's from, but 15 mins from other and pyramid to John peel still seems accurate, so I'd assume the other John peel times are accurate too. 

On 5/1/2019 at 10:45 PM, hmmmloddy said:

It's a good rule but there can always be exceptions.... (shudders)

That’ll be my after my wife then.. ‘trap 2 its a goner’ happens every day at glasto, and no you don’t want to know 

On 5/2/2019 at 9:13 AM, LostHorizon said:

Bring a couple of boxes of wine. Take the pouch out of the box and stick that in your backpack. A nice break from carrying around a bag of cans and you won’t need to run to the loo as much.

Might try and freeze them this time...

Also, after a few boxes of wine, Rennie.

Also doubles up as a pillow should you drink it all 

On 5/2/2019 at 9:46 AM, drunk pumpkin said:

As I hate taking a bag out during the night (likely to lose it) I use one of these in the evening. 

Put my beers in and when they are gone I fold it up and put it in a pocket 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G4Free-Foldable-Ultralight-Resistant-Traveling/dp/B07G75P9N3/ref=sr_1_40?hvadid=80539258857836&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=fold+up+rucksack&qid=1556786366&s=gateway&sr=8-40

This is the usage for the Guardian backpacks that @Mardy hates ;)

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:21 PM, Fussah said:

What are everybody's tips for dealing with foot ache? Every festival I get this. I always feel fine in my self, it's just the constant standing up and walking around for long periods that makes the bottom of my feet very uncomfortable.

I work in an office all day so i'm not used to it at all haha!

Give yourself a foot massage!  Buy some pepperminty foot cream (Lush and Body Shop do nice ones) and spend some time in the morning giving your feet a lovely massage before you put your socks on.  Don’t be scared to really dig in.  Use your knuckles (especially in the arch of the foot).  Anyone can spare 10 minutes in the morning on this.

(Trust me.  I’m a reflexologist ;) )

• Upvote 1

Top tip that me an the ex eventually worked out in 2016 after years of hoofing all our stuff through the long queues on Wednesday morning:

DO TWO TRIPS!

Take the bare minimum on your first trip.  Tent, chairs, couple of cans.  When you’re in the stop start queue for hours you’re not getting exhausted from carrying the world on your back, getting baked by the sun or all your stuff drenched in the rain.  You can practically jog to your chosen pitch, beating those trudging with all their worldly belongings.  

Pitch up, sit on chairs and refuel with cider.  Then casually wander back to the car, collect everything else and race through the re-entry which generally has zero queues.  It was the easiest check in I’ve ever done.

Wouldn’t work if everyone on site did it but you guys can thank me in July ?

On 5/2/2019 at 8:37 PM, Losing my hair said:

This was definitely the best coffee on site - can't remember what it's called though.

It's just called 'Proper Coffee' but it's run by the incredible team from Wookey Hub in, er, Wookey.

1 hour ago, ICGenie said:

Top tip that me an the ex eventually worked out in 2016 after years of hoofing all our stuff through the long queues on Wednesday morning:

DO TWO TRIPS!

Take the bare minimum on your first trip.  Tent, chairs, couple of cans.  When you’re in the stop start queue for hours you’re not getting exhausted from carrying the world on your back, getting baked by the sun or all your stuff drenched in the rain.  You can practically jog to your chosen pitch, beating those trudging with all their worldly belongings.  

Pitch up, sit on chairs and refuel with cider.  Then casually wander back to the car, collect everything else and race through the re-entry which generally has zero queues.  It was the easiest check in I’ve ever done.

Wouldn’t work if everyone on site did it but you guys can thank me in July ?

I've done that in the past and am planning on doing similar this year but as I'm coming by coach it has to be a bit different.  So we're going to drop off our rucksacks and booze at the lockup at Gate A, just take our tent to wherever we decide to pitch (still thinking about where that will be) and then go back for our stuff once we've pitched.  

21 hours ago, concerned said:

I'd advise people to do their research before taking this. Milk thistle can interact with a lot of drugs and possibly reduce the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill, so if you don't want any Glastonbury babies maybe it's best to skip it...

If this is the case then I apologise for supplying misleading information. However I can assure you that both myself and several female friends have never had an issue with either of these concerns and we have all taken milk thistle for several years. 

Still, as you say, it’s always sensible for anyone trying a supplement for the first time to do their research.

Has anyone mentioned "Bring lots of fivers" yet? There are never enough fivers at Glastonbury.

Disclaimers:

This may not be true anymore. I wouldn't know as I always bring fivers.

Inflation may have made this hack obsolete.

35 minutes ago, ledwards said:

Are there many places that are cash only at Glasto? I always withdraw £200 but if it means carrying less money around I will start to make that much lower and use card wherever possible

Not any more, almost everywhere can take card. It's worth having some cash tho for network issues.

Great way to use your lanyard too, keep your card in it so you don't have to keep getting wallets in/out

On 5/4/2019 at 5:50 PM, barkley87 said:

I got this from the boards a few years ago and still find it helpful. I take a laminated version every year.

Bo0ttLgCMAA4qf9.jpg

These are Dry Times, double or triple those times depending on depth of mud....