Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Cut hands or friction burns putting up a tent? Is this a thing?

Lol. I knew I took them for a reason and that was all I could think of at the time. It's possibly just to keep my hands warm, clean and dry(ish). I can confidently state that I have at least two "Wish I'd thought of that" like comments from fellow campers ;) and that I regret it if I forget them now.

@HeyPortergets it.

3 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Lol. I knew I took them for a reason and that was all I could think of at the time. It's possibly just to keep my hands warm, clean and dry(ish). I can confidently state that I have at least two "Wish I'd thought of that" like comments from fellow campers ;) and that I regret it if I forget them now.

@HeyPortergets it.

Makes perfect sense. It’s the one tip I’ve never seen on all these boards, very practical. Always like a pair of heavy duty gloves nearby. 

3 hours ago, cb4747 said:

See I'm not taking my child. Our first time away from her. Absolutely bricking it so really want my phone on me 24/7. I feel like it would be less stress to actually bring her but her being 16 months old come June it would be like bringing a drunk person who just runs around everywhere with no regard for their own safety. Oh wait... 

Ha! It's going to be a very different festival for me this year. We've done smaller ones with her but 5 days of Glastonbury is a different game completely!

I'd totally want my phone at all times in that situation too.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Especially in a muddy year when you get the added bonus of muddy footprints on and around the seat.

Is this really girls? I often wonder if it is genuinely people trying to pee etc. or people trying to be funny? Either way it's grim.

I have a talent for expecting the worst - so what if their muddy wellies slipped and they banged their head and somehow ended wedged into the longdrop, or passed out face down in a longdrop hole. THE HUMANITY!

1 hour ago, MrHew said:

Ha! It's going to be a very different festival for me this year. We've done smaller ones with her but 5 days of Glastonbury is a different game completely!

I'd totally want my phone at all times in that situation too.

I’ve considered smaller festivals this year but it’s quite an intimidating thought. The busiest place we’ve been to with her was our local town festival and that was hardcore enough! Maybe when she can talk it would be easier (I hope!) 

45 minutes ago, brightyoungthing2 said:

Is this really girls? I often wonder if it is genuinely people trying to pee etc. or people trying to be funny? Either way it's grim.

I have a talent for expecting the worst - so what if their muddy wellies slipped and they banged their head and somehow ended wedged into the longdrop, or passed out face down in a longdrop hole. THE HUMANITY!

In 2016 I had to wipe up muddy footprints almost everytime I went in... because I'm exactly the type of person who would try to do that, slip, and get wedged in a long drop. 

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Cut hands or friction burns putting up a tent? Is this a thing?

2004 I think, I was pushing a tent peg in when my hand slipped and I cut my palm open. Not sure on what, the end of the peg, or a bit of rough unfinished metal maybe. Can still see the scar now, just under an inch long. The thing I really remember about it despite doing the  bare minimum to look after what was a pretty bad cut was how quickly it healed. Must've been the ley lines or something

14 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

In 2016 I had to wipe up muddy footprints almost everytime I went in... because I'm exactly the type of person who would try to do that, slip, and get wedged in a long drop. 

Ha ha, I bet that happens! Imagine slipping your entire leg down there! And having a wellie fall off. The horror ? 

5 hours ago, Fussah said:

What are everybody's tips for dealing with foot ache? Every festival I get this. I always feel fine in my self, it's just the constant standing up and walking around for long periods that makes the bottom of my feet very uncomfortable.

I work in an office all day so i'm not used to it at all haha!

If you’re going to wear wellies, invest in memory foam insoles- makes such a difference if you’re going to have to wear them all day. 

9 hours ago, Quark said:

Avoid any risks of getting turned over by security by consuming your entire weekend's stash in one go in the queue on Wednesday. 

I had to think then whether I was reading the "hacks" thread or the "never again" thread.  It's been a long day ..............

Oh and all of you who prefer to use soap and water rather than hand gel are absolutely right as hand gel does not kill diarrhoeal germs such as Norovirus whereas soap and water does.  (I work in the NHS and this is part of the advice to health professionals).

6 hours ago, Fussah said:

What are everybody's tips for dealing with foot ache? Every festival I get this. I always feel fine in my self, it's just the constant standing up and walking around for long periods that makes the bottom of my feet very uncomfortable.

Scholl gel active work insoles. My wellies were as comfy as slippers in the mud of 2016! Just bought some more in prep.

17 minutes ago, Robyn91 said:

A battery air bed pump can double up as a hair dryer in desperate situations ?

Great tip, but, I've got one of them and with the batteries it needs it weighs way too much to bring. My lungs get a proper work out (unless I can beg a pump from a neighbour).

19 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Great tip, but, I've got one of them and with the batteries it needs it weighs way too much to bring. My lungs get a proper work out (unless I can beg a pump from a neighbour).

I salute you. I can Barely blow a candle out ?

Edited by Robyn91

7 hours ago, Fussah said:

It's not for everyone I'll admit, but to take pressure off my feet I get so absolutely Gillespied that I have no option other than to crawl around on hands and knees.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I can’t believe after 13 pages no one has mentioned Milk Thistle! If you plan to overindulge the night before these bad boys will make a huge difference to your general wellbeing the next day. I’d recommend starting to take them a week before Glasto for maximum effect. They work by improving your liver function, however make sure you are next to your favourite long drop the next morning as they do give you a fairly hefty clear out!

These are the ones I use and they’re great, however the Superdrug extra strength ones are also excellent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HP8L6X7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've not found any magic foot tricks - the double-sock thing has been covered, some voltarol gel at bedtime is helpful but otherwise take footwear off when you can, let them breathe and get a bit of a rest. Dry feet don't get blisters, sweaty ones do.

Edited by frostypaw

15 hours ago, Walter Mitty said:

I can’t believe after 13 pages no one has mentioned Milk Thistle! If you plan to overindulge the night before these bad boys will make a huge difference to your general wellbeing the next day. I’d recommend starting to take them a week before Glasto for maximum effect. They work by improving your liver function, however make sure you are next to your favourite long drop the next morning as they do give you a fairly hefty clear out!

These are the ones I use and they’re great, however the Superdrug extra strength ones are also excellent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HP8L6X7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd advise people to do their research before taking this. Milk thistle can interact with a lot of drugs and possibly reduce the effectiveness of the contraceptive pill, so if you don't want any Glastonbury babies maybe it's best to skip it...

19 hours ago, philipsteak said:

2004 I think, I was pushing a tent peg in when my hand slipped and I cut my palm open. Not sure on what, the end of the peg, or a bit of rough unfinished metal maybe. Can still see the scar now, just under an inch long. The thing I really remember about it despite doing the  bare minimum to look after what was a pretty bad cut was how quickly it healed. Must've been the ley lines or something

OUCH! 

Do people really not take a mini-rubber camping mallet?

19 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Got to admit that I proper lolled at that mental image!!!

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

OUCH! 

Do people really not take a mini-rubber camping mallet?

Usually. And if I forget I'll ask to borrow one. I seem to remember it was raining so was rushing and the ground was soft so could easily push them in.  The rain probably also contributed to my hand slipping

37 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Usually. And if I forget I'll ask to borrow one. I seem to remember it was raining so was rushing and the ground was soft so could easily push them in.  The rain probably also contributed to my hand slipping

Again: ouch!

I dunno if the shop The Range is near you. I just posted in the Camping Essentials... thread. Saw some small camping mallets for just a few quid. 

I’m a little late to this thread but I’ve skimmed through and although there’s the clothes in carrier bag post I have to offer this from my days as a steely eyed killer. Line your rucksack with a sturdy bin liner before packing it then pack everything in the bin liner. If the unthinkable happens and it does piss it down while you’re queuing to get in, all your clothes/money/tickets/stash etc won’t be all soggy.

Also don’t forget your toothbrush. 5 days chewing tic tacs makes you feel like the skankiest bastard ever.