Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

I started this thread last year or so but didn't explain too clearly what I meant! 

But! by "hacks" I'm referring to strictly practical tips and tricks for the fest. Those which make you say "I never would have thought of that!" but can make a big difference to the little things! 

For example, my offering is to bring a keep cup for coffee and other hot drinks as Ive found the lidless cups result in a scorched hand and a futile helping of a hot beverage. :codemafia:

I know not everyone likes to be super prepared like this, but this thread is for those who have been "getting ready" since 2017, and find all this prep just part of the anticipation! :locomotive::party:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Listerine.

If you spend days biting the inside of your cheeks (for some reason) every morning, Listerine. You'll thank me.

You know, I've had this before and never been able to put my finger on why it kept happening, thought it was maybe something in the water. Thanks, I'll try this. 

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Rather than using baby wipes for cleansing bring a flannel and small camping stove.  Gives you a refreshing hot water wash .  

good one! 

baby with showers always leave me feeling like I've just spread whatever chemical is on them on me, and post sweaty tent - not good! 

When there's a choice, use a toilet that a woman has just come from. They are more likely to have chosen a decent one or tidied it up enough to make it more pleasant. But for god's sake, leave it as good (if not better) than you found it.

Also, Mrs Hmmmloddy says if you are a woman then the official shewee areas are an absolute delight. The girls staffing it are super helpful, very caring and nice. Once you've mastered the technique it's also very free-ing apparently.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gacheezbo said:

If you're going to be using your smartphone a lot, bring portable charger(s). 

This is a bit of a given but seeing as there's always massive queues to recharge, some people don't plan for it (how?!) and miss half the festival!

Tip - Don’t use your portable chargers overnight. They charge to 100% then stop. If your phone is still plugged in, when it goes down to 99% the portable charger will kick back in to top it up. This will keep on going til you unplug the phone.

Use your portable charger when you can keep an eye on it and unplug as soon it reaches 100%. You’ll get a lot more charges out it this way.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 16

3 minutes ago, hmmmloddy said:

When there's a choice, use a toilet that a woman has just come from. They are more likely to have chosen a decent one or tidied it up enough to make it more pleasant. But for god's sake, leave it as good (if not better) than you found it.

Also, Mrs Hmmmloddy says if you are a woman then the official shewee areas are an absolute delight. The girls staffing it are super helpful, very caring and nice. Once you've mastered the technique it's also very free-ing apparently.

Ha ha, that’s exactly what my wife does, queues for the long drops and only goes in one a female exits from. 

22 minutes ago, Gacheezbo said:

If you're going to be using your smartphone a lot, bring portable charger(s). 

This is a bit of a given but seeing as there's always massive queues to recharge, some people don't plan for it (how?!) and miss half the festival!

Are there massive queues though? All I remember from the last 2 are big but fast moving queues to swap EE power bars.

You know, I've never felt the urge to take drugs (unless you count alcohol) and each to their and all that but the amount of people on here and elsewhere with their wacky stories of that time they shit their pants has convinced me they're best avoided 

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, hmmmloddy said:

Could you ask Mrs Hmmmloddy how long it took her to master the technique of a sheewee? Took them to about 5 festivals in the past and never ever, not even once I managed to do it. Think it’s psychological block with me ?‍♀️

A tip I saw from someone else on here, bring some latex gloves to wear if you need to undo muddy boot laces so you don't end up with dirty hands when you're getting changed at the end of the day. 

Bring a spork, much better than the disposable cutlery from the food stands imo. 

On the subject of toilets, if you have long drops, try to use the ones that don’t face the way you walk and always try the middle ones as they are always the ones that are used less. 

If your going to bed when it’s dark, try not to be a loud snorer. Or USE THE LOCK UPS. 

Take plastic bags for muddy / wet (even though it WILL NOT RAIN) clothes. 

Also, I saw someone mentioned taking a reusable cup. I’m doing this with a reusable knife and fork set too this year, cut down on the single use plastics ! Woo woo

Someone always says a good idea is a hook that you hang on the long drop door and you then hang your stuff on it, save putting whatever it is your carrying on the floor or holding it whilst your dropping the kids off. 

6 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Someone always says a good idea is a hook that you hang on the long drop door and you then hang your stuff on it, save putting whatever it is your carrying on the floor or holding it whilst your dropping the kids off. 

Hook your bag over the latch, close the latch, bag is securely hung.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

Could you ask Mrs Hmmmloddy how long it took her to master the technique of a sheewee? Took them to about 5 festivals in the past and never ever, not even once I managed to do it. Think it’s psychological block with me ?‍♀️

A few attempts did not go to plan, but both the stewards and the other girls in there were very helpful (without being weird), maybe the supportive atmosphere helps? She says stick with it, it's worth persevering even just for the very short queues