Shangri-La 2019

stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

I think its pure speculation. They're playing Friday at 6pm and then are in Europe Saturday afternoon. It would be nutts if they managed a 1am slot in the middle of Glastonbury to get over to Europe in 12 hours to play a gig. 

Ah I see, that would be a pretty nice Thursday night gig, but it will be rammmmed

2 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I was at The Orb in 2017 and found it too busy in that I didn't have much room to move/dance. I've seen a few times and that was my least favourite as a result - I like to be able to bust some moves. Spent most of it worrying about an older guy in front of us who was absolutely wasted and kept dropping all his stuff!

I love the look of the SE corner and some of the line-ups are really exciting, but in reality the crowds always deter me. I say every year I want to go and then rarely do for more than a wander. A real shame but I'm not sure how to get around it. I also don't stay up much past 2am these days, so going once the crush has died down isn't really an option!

There's some great names on this Shangri line-up though, so maybe...

My thoughts exactly. Despite he line-up I think it will take missing a headliner for me to spend much time there... Friday may be a possibility this year

4 minutes ago, DJL said:

My thoughts exactly. Despite he line-up I think it will take missing a headliner for me to spend much time there... Friday may be a possibility this year

Once your in though, it's never that busy...is it? I realise my memories down there are probably quite hazy, but I spent the Friday of 2016 there (granted, was there early for the Hot Chip/Prince thing) and 2017 (ran over there straight after Radiohead and got in with very little queuing), and the venues never seem that busy. Also trudged down there around 3am (maybe) on the Friday of 2014 and got right in and danced somewhere (the cave?) with a lot of room. I guess if you go for one of the big inside ones, like temple or NYC download it might be a different story? Don't remember the gas tower being too crazy at any point though

34 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Once your in though, it's never that busy...is it? I realise my memories down there are probably quite hazy, but I spent the Friday of 2016 there (granted, was there early for the Hot Chip/Prince thing) and 2017 (ran over there straight after Radiohead and got in with very little queuing), and the venues never seem that busy. Also trudged down there around 3am (maybe) on the Friday of 2014 and got right in and danced somewhere (the cave?) with a lot of room. I guess if you go for one of the big inside ones, like temple or NYC download it might be a different story? Don't remember the gas tower being too crazy at any point though

It's fine once you get in. There will be certain venues that you'd have to queue for but there's plenty of stuff on offer. I think a lot of people go after the headliners and do a lap around the place then leave.

• Upvote 1

Maybe a daft question from me. But I haven't been to Shangri-La in years, it's always been too busy when I've been in that direction (usually after headliner acts).

Does anything happen there on the Weds and Thurs? And is it still decent? I'd assume so but just checking as it's been a while!

11 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I was at The Orb in 2017 and found it too busy in that I didn't have much room to move/dance. I've seen a few times and that was my least favourite as a result - I like to be able to bust some moves. Spent most of it worrying about an older guy in front of us who was absolutely wasted and kept dropping all his stuff!

I love the look of the SE corner and some of the line-ups are really exciting, but in reality the crowds always deter me. I say every year I want to go and then rarely do for more than a wander. A real shame but I'm not sure how to get around it. I also don't stay up much past 2am these days, so going once the crush has died down isn't really an option!

I've got to say, I really don't like The Glade when it's like that, it makes me claustrophobic.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've got to say, I really don't like The Glade when it's like that, it makes me claustrophobic.

I know what you mean actually, yeah.

11 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I'm afraid getting somewhere at 3am is out of the question for me these days! So then it's either during headliners or straight after (which I avoid for the aforementioned reasons). If I go it tends to be in the afternoon/early evening but not a lot on then. We will see if this year is different...

We did go for a bit of Napalm Death but it was insane as it was Thursday... And I used to go when I was younger but can't remember getting in anywhere except NYC Downlow, which was ace to be fair. 

Oh and the Snakepit? Take it that is long gone?

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

11 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I guess if you go for one of the big inside ones, like temple or NYC download it might be a different story? Don't remember the gas tower being too crazy at any point though

Yep, really wanted to see MaW but it would have taken way more patience than I could afford at that hour.

15 hours ago, EamerRed said:

Maybe a daft question from me. But I haven't been to Shangri-La in years, it's always been too busy when I've been in that direction (usually after headliner acts).

Does anything happen there on the Weds and Thurs? And is it still decent? I'd assume so but just checking as it's been a while!

Not sure about weds (I think not), but it’s all up and running on Thursday evening. I saw a bit of Napalm Death and went in the cave and the temple last year (before going to the orb and the glade generally).

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, EamerRed said:

There’s a limited amount on, starting later, on the Wednesday, much less than the main nights, which you have to do if you want the full experience 

• Upvote 1

Not sure I get this whole not being able to get in thing. Last year, even all the way from the Pyramid, we got in when we left just before the end of the Foo Fighters with no problems and my friends got in after Radiohead. You just need to get a bit of a wriggle on.

21 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Do what I intend to do ZMG, sack off a main stage headliner and get over there nice and early. It's nowhere near as busy, you can freely move from area to area and enjoy greater space to bust those moves. And in true Glastonbury tradition, you'll stumble across the unexpected along the way...

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

Friday looks the night for it (unless Interpol end up headlining the Park or the JPT ).

I am thinking of a south east corner night on the Friday. If I see Idles at the Park, I might change my plan, but as it stands the I fancy getting in the Shangri La early to watch them.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Not sure I get this whole not being able to get in thing. Last year, even all the way from the Pyramid, we got in when we left just before the end of the Foo Fighters with no problems and my friends got in after Radiohead. You just need to get a bit of a wriggle on.

It's not just about getting in, it's about it being unpleasantly crowded when I am in. Not my bag.

59 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Do what I intend to do ZMG, sack off a main stage headliner and get over there nice and early. It's nowhere near as busy, you can freely move from area to area and enjoy greater space to bust those moves. And in true Glastonbury tradition, you'll stumble across the unexpected along the way...

Yeah I think this is the only way and there has always been at least one headliner I want to see more... maybe when we get the full times. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's not just about getting in, it's about it being unpleasantly crowded when I am in. Not my bag.

Yeah I think this is the only way and there has always been at least one headliner I want to see more... maybe when we get the full times. 

Fair enough. I've rarely done it in the daytime before (bar Thurs evening), so tempted to pop in on the Friday (if nothing better turns up) and have a nose around around the whole Craig Charles thing. Usually go over that way for the improv comedy on Friday anyway.

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Fair enough. I've rarely done it in the daytime before (bar Thurs evening), so tempted to pop in on the Friday (if nothing better turns up) and have a nose around around the whole Craig Charles thing. Usually go over that way for the improv comedy on Friday anyway.

Yeah what time is Craig Charles normally on? Might head in for that.