Shangri-La 2019

stuartbert two hats

13 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Quick question from a newbie. Are all Shangri La sets late ones? 

Not seen The Damned live in over 25 years. Just wondering what time they are likely to be playing?

10pm to 4am according to Earache on Twitter, no exact stage times yet

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

IIRC Napalm Norman and the lads were on the Truth Stage about 8pm.

That was the Thursday wasn't it? Once you get into the triumvirate of the weekend it's later sets I think

8 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Loving the new sound to the naughty corner. Does anyone think its gonna make it more busy considering probably same amount of dance but a bit more punk/metal to be found? 

I think it all depends on what Arcadia announces. They definitely need to spread the late night crowds across the site so hopefully a regenerated Arcadia with some big names will do that. I really hope so, the SE corner is my favourite area but some of the bottlenecks at times aren't just not fun, they're dangerous. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think it all depends on what Arcadia announces. They definitely need to spread the late night crowds across the site so hopefully a regenerated Arcadia with some big names will do that. I really hope so, the SE corner is my favourite area but some of the bottlenecks at times aren't just not fun, they're dangerous. 

Agreed, it can be very off-putting. I've been where they've closed off areas. I'm praying they've done something with silver Hayes. So much potential there to regenerate it. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Arcadia need a decent name on the Thursday slot if IDLES are Thursday to balance the crowd. 

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Arcadia need a decent name on the Thursday slot if IDLES are Thursday to balance the crowd. 

They would do if that IDLES thought is correct. The Glade usually put someone decent on Thursday too if my memory serves me. Not sure how much difference it makes though, there's 150,000 people looking for something to do on Thursday night...

6 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Arcadia doesn't open on Thursday. They do the secret dress rehearsal and, if you're lucky, they test the speakers for a bit.

13 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They would do if that IDLES thought is correct. The Glade usually put someone decent on Thursday too if my memory serves me. Not sure how much difference it makes though, there's 150,000 people looking for something to do on Thursday night...

Yeah I think The Orb were in Glade last time on Thursday. It was difficult to get anywhere to hear tbh. 

Thursday's a great day for a site wide bar crawl in my opinion. Ahy music is a bonus. 

2 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Yeah I think The Orb were in Glade last time on Thursday. It was difficult to get anywhere to hear tbh. 

Spent the whole evening there from about 8pm - close. Was a fantastic night (even if The Orb were a bit shambolic, but you get used to that over 30 years).

3 minutes ago, Bovla said:

So we have info they are Thursday night then?

I think its pure speculation. They're playing Friday at 6pm and then are in Europe Saturday afternoon. It would be nutts if they managed a 1am slot in the middle of Glastonbury to get over to Europe in 12 hours to play a gig. 

I was at The Orb in 2017 and found it too busy in that I didn't have much room to move/dance. I've seen a few times and that was my least favourite as a result - I like to be able to bust some moves. Spent most of it worrying about an older guy in front of us who was absolutely wasted and kept dropping all his stuff!

I love the look of the SE corner and some of the line-ups are really exciting, but in reality the crowds always deter me. I say every year I want to go and then rarely do for more than a wander. A real shame but I'm not sure how to get around it. I also don't stay up much past 2am these days, so going once the crush has died down isn't really an option!

There's some great names on this Shangri line-up though, so maybe...