Shangri-La 2019

stuartbert two hats

The absolute hysterics when you tell a man he can't have something, even if it's something he doesn't actually want

And then to hide behind the concept of "equality"

If women want to have a safe space, who the hell are you to tell them No?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

The absolute hysterics when you tell a man he can't have something, even if it's something he doesn't actually want

It's no different to gay guys and girls segregating themselves away from the rest of society in gay only bars and clubs.  It works much better when we all play together.

A women only venue is a backwards step however you talk it up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FatAmmy said:

The only person in hysterics here seems to be you. You're totally misrepresenting what people are saying and why they are saying it. Perhaps that makes it simpler for you to process but it just makes the discourse more difficult. Empathy, understanding and public discourse (not restricted to discourse between agreeing parties) are the only way to achieve integration and equality. Yet you seem to think throwing your toys out of the pram is the vehicle for progress. 

I'm not telling anyone they can't have anything. I'm trying to understand the reasons for people wanting them, their effectiveness in dealing with the issues at hand and the implications for life moving forward. 

Either that or I just can't deal with not being allowed in, am hiding behind equality and trying to stop the thing going ahead.

I demand to be let in to the VIP bit as I identify as a VIP and I'm a man so should allowed to do whatever the damn fucking hell I want regardless of what other people want.

Am I doing it right?

In the mean time, now Gojira are playing Glastonbury* I hereby start my campaign for 2020's inclusion of Rivers Of Nihil

*and I'm taking Daily Mail style credit for as I've blabbing about it for ages.

40 minutes ago, stu_kent said:

For what it's worth, I agree with you.

We should be challenging the behaviour of the men who behave in this way, not providing a safe haven from them.

Segregation isn't the answer to anything, in my opinion.

But the sexual assault has already happened in this case. It's not an either/or scenario here. We need to challenge the behaviour of men when it occurs to change future behaviour and in the meantime it's entirely sensible to give women and non binary folk a place where they can feel safe, have a free exchange of ideas amongst themselves and empower each other to break down barriers they face.

40 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Isn't the idea that all the bands/acts will be female that day? As opposed to only females being allowed in?

Where would that leave people who don't identify as either gender? It seems unlikely to me.

And for the record, I fully appreciate women get a hard time at gigs some times but there are other ways to combat that rather than segregation, no?

It's open to all self identifying women and non binary folk.

4 minutes ago, Keithy said:

It's open to all self identifying women and non binary folk.

What if one of the identifying women is (or appears to be) biologically male and scares the living bejaysis out of one of the women? Won't they have "a need to make a judgement on whether they're a seedy bastard."? Pandemonium would ensue no doubt. 

1 minute ago, gherkin8r said:

What if one of the identifying women is (or appears to be) biologically male and scares the living bejaysis out of one of the women? Won't they have "a need to make a judgement on whether they're a seedy bastard."? Pandemonium would ensue no doubt. 

Whatabout, whatabout, whatabout....

If it bothers you this much, then I'm sure the staff at the Sisterhood will be delighted to discuss it with you at Glastonbury.

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Whatabout, whatabout, whatabout....

If it bothers you this much, then I'm sure the staff at the Sisterhood will be delighted to discuss it with you at Glastonbury.

I was joking there but they won't mate, that's the point. Only people who identify as female are allowed in to discuss the issue. 

Getting real sick and tired of this circular argument popping its head up every couple of weeks and men telling us what should be happening instead of what they are doing to make a difference. Yes, we get it, not all men. But for fucks sake, women still get leered at, groped, raped etc. So when was the last time you called some shitty dude out for his behaviour. We all know it shouldn't happen but while it still common place, please do us a favour and stop telling us where and how we should feel safe. 

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I was joking there but they won't mate, that's the point. Only people who identify as female are allowed in to discuss the issue. 

I think it's more the idea or statement than anything else. A positive statement I might add.

If people really want to, I'm sure they can get in... Anyone can claim to identify as non-binary.

Whether I agree or not with the idea is another thing but I can't see this being the new Fort Knox. 

Not sure why I didn't say this originally, so edited to say I have no issue with it. I don't agree with segregation as a larger idea but don't see a problem in having a place like this at Glasto.

Edited by LostHorizon
Throwing my thoughts down without thinking properly!

4 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Getting real sick and tired of this circular argument popping its head up every couple of weeks and men telling us what should be happening instead of what they are doing to make a difference. Yes, we get it, not all men. But for fucks sake, women still get leered at, groped, raped etc. So when was the last time you called some shitty dude out for his behaviour. We all know it shouldn't happen but while it still common place, please do us a favour and stop telling us where and how we should feel safe. 

WOW

I'm not speaking for men or even viewing my own positon through the lens of gender, I'm speaking on behalf of myself as a human being. I don't think anyone is trying to tell you (and by you I assume you are rather presumptuously asserting that your views are consistent with the rest of the female identifying population) what should be happening. The fact that you reduce everything to these terms is a bit embarrassing to be honest. There is literally nobody on this thread who has even begun to suggest that women aren't groped, raped etc. I'm unsure why you would think  a) that I haven't "called up some shitty dude" and b) that telling that story on here would make any difference.

I think its this kind of gender politics and emotionally driven, angry rhetoric which is alienating so many people and why perhaps less than half of young women identify as feminists. 

• Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

You can discuss at the doorway with the staff. Alternatively, they're quite active on Instagram now so you have a DM discussion with the venue manager.

As a point of order, it's not just for people who identify as a woman either. 

1 minute ago, gherkin8r said:

WOW

I'm not speaking for men or even viewing my own positon through the lens of gender, I'm speaking on behalf of myself as a human being. I don't think anyone is trying to tell you (and by you I assume you are rather presumptuously asserting that your views are consistent with the rest of the female identifying population) what should be happening. The fact that you reduce everything to these terms is a bit embarrassing to be honest. There is literally nobody on this thread who has even begun to suggest that women aren't groped, raped etc. I'm unsure why you would think  a) that I haven't "called up some shitty dude" and b) that telling that story on here would make any difference.

I think its this kind of gender politics and emotionally driven, angry rhetoric which is alienating so many people and why perhaps less than half of young women identify as feminists. 

This is this thread's equivalent of Gimli's "Oh Woman" on Question Time.

9 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Not sure what feminism has to do with this debate given it's a non binary and female area.

FWIW, your post creates a wonderful juxtaposition when put up against The Sistxrhood poster tagline

Take Space, Make Noise, Run Stuff.

Or as you would seem to have it...

Move Over, Pipe Down, Let Me Do It

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

I'm asking people if they think there is cause for a hypothetical "blacks only" area at Glastonbury and if not how the logic differs from the case of the "women only" area.

If there was an systemic issue of black people being mistreated in the same way, sure. But there's not, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

The issue isn't about who is and isn't being given a breathing space, it's what's happened to cause that to happen. One can usually tell who's on which side of the fence by their focus. I couldn't give a toss that I'm excluded from one stage for part of Glastonbury 2019, and happy that those who so often get a shitty deal from others in society can hopefully not to have worry about it while they're there. It's something to be pleased about, ffs.

Edited by kalifire