Earplugs

Dixo

As I'm now getting old - sleep is pretty important to me to make sure I enjoy the full festival.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on earplugs as I think I'm going to need them this year Wax? Silicone? Brands?

Cheers

If you are going to put ear plugs in while sleeping, make sure that all your valuables are in a lock up. Don't put them in your sleeping bag with you thinking it'll be alright because it wont necessarily be. One of my mates and his wife used ear plugs, and lost over £500 cash which was stolen from them during the night (sleeping bag sliced open with a knife) He's lucky in that £500 is very small change to him, but to most of us losing that amount (or any amount) to one of the bastard robbers that prowl the place could make or break the festival.

1 hour ago, Daveograve said:

Boots sell wax ones which work really well, the foam ones just mute the sound a little bit

I agree with this. Tried many different sorts over the years and the Boots wax plugs come the closest to blocking out all sound as is possible.

• Upvote 1

I've used these ones for many years. I work shifts, including night shifts and have used these, very effectively, to sleep during the day. They are not quite as effective as wax (but I find more comfortable) and they are cheap. You can also use them in the music tents to protect your ears. 

https://bit.ly/2ISx4ch

I looked into this a while ago, and foam ones for dampening music had pretty good frequency curves - just the cheap ordinary ones when compared to the really expensive sort. I have earpeace and my subjective opinion is that earpeace more comfortable than foam, foam more quiet.

For sleep I might try the wax ones though - taking note of the lock-ups advice!

I do like the wax ones but they hurt my ears after a couple of nights.

These ones are really comfy, easy to put in and block out a lot of noise. To be fair we camp at Hitchen Hill so it's not massively noisy but I need it to be quiet to get some sleep

41ocqFHyTSL.jpg

I've found silicone ones to be very effective and they've made me sleep through alarms. I find it difficult to get a good seal with foam ones but this isn't an issue with silicone. They do have a tendency to pick up grime and dirt though, so may not be ideal for a festival...

Never tried the wax ones.  Do you have to warm them up to get them to mould to your ear? 

I use the sponge ones that taper to a point.  They’re usually pretty good.  They only time they failed me was when we were camped right next to some hammered Aussies that were belting out the Springsteen hits at full whack until 5am.

I cant do earplugs. I find that all I do is lie there listening to my heartbeat which after a glasto sesh can be quite alarming!

Eye mask on the other hand is a necessity for me to get a few hours kip in the morning.

I have a pair of silicone from ACS as I work in acoustics and live sound. They are a life saver and have definitely prolonged my hearing. Even wear them to gigs occasionally if I know I’m gonna be close up front. They do different sets of filters for different purposes, these work by cutting certain frequencies . Full specs can be found on the site. They are custom moulded so fit like a glove. https://www.acscustom.com/uk/

These are the best that I have tried and i've used them at Glastonbury for a few years to great effect. The tapered ones don't fit my ears very well so don't block out the sound as well as these. Tapered ones also fall out whereas these don't. Hard plastic or silicon/rubber ones are really uncomfortable for sleeping.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-ear-classic-28db-foam-disposable-ear-plugs-5-pairs/40332?tc=PB3&ds_kid=92700024701659450&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244069&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6ZzfjZL64QIVdjPTCh0bUAaMEAQYBSABEgLxcvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 hours ago, Ruth1980 said:

I do like the wax ones but they hurt my ears after a couple of nights.

These ones are really comfy, easy to put in and block out a lot of noise. To be fair we camp at Hitchen Hill so it's not massively noisy but I need it to be quiet to get some sleep

41ocqFHyTSL.jpg

I'm also an advocate of Quies!  Can't sleep at a festival without these.

Edited by AmyShambles

Lazer lites are OK, soft enough to sleep in without getting a pain in the ears - but my go to gig plugs are ETY ER-20's ( I couldn't sleep with them in due to the stalks).

I find a decent blackout tent is sufficient after a long day at Glasto.