"I'm never, ever doing that again!"

Woffy

I'll never trust my mates to go to the ciderbus with my cash as I can't be bothered to get my round in.

3 pints of hot & spicy and guess who's had the 10yr old cider brandy in as well. I was wondering why my cheeks felt like they were on fire!

In 2017, having travelled on overnight coach from Edinburgh, arrived at 7:45am in blazing sunshine. Queued to get in, sweat lashing off me, no food, no sleep, pitched my tent... it was over 30 degrees that morning, so inside my tent putting the room thingy up it must have been over 40 degrees. I hadn’t bothered filling up my water yet. Very sweaty, exhausted, but pleased with myself to be in and pitched so early, I went straight to the Cider Bus for a liquid breakfast. 

It didn’t end well.

I'm never emptying the cassette toilet in a Campervan again until I've read the instructions and practiced with one full of water first...

TIP - don't wear sandles to empty the cassette and forget to press the "Pressure relief valve button" as the contents go everywhere - I had Blue toes!!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

I'm never emptying the cassette toilet in a Campervan again until I've read the instructions and practiced with one full of water first...

TIP - don't wear sandles to empty the cassette and forget to press the "Pressure relief valve button" as the contents go everywhere - I had Blue toes!!!!!

Huh, leaving a long drop once I had brown toes , lesson learned, never wear open toe sandals to a long drop in the dark 

Here are mine:

- Eating too much spicy food! I am always so tempted but I need to avoid the temptation of noodles or curry. Never ends well! Eating healthy food honestly transforms how you feel as the combination of bad food and too much drink is never nice.

- Taking too much booze and food. I think its just worth saving up that little bit extra (if you can) to save carrying so much. Especially as I tend to arrive by coach you're rather limited in what you can take.

- Going too hard on Wednesday. Its all usually rather exciting so we end up going a too hard on Wednesday afternoon which inevitably leads to me feeling like shit by Wednesday evening. Even more important if the first day is a hot one like 2017!

21 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

push the button ?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Actually one thing I never intend to do again is take a tent that is not blacked out or heat insulated.  Getting a couple of extra hours sleep from my Fresh&Black is an absolute game changer.

Oh 100% this. I did it for my festivaling last year during the heatwave 25-30 degrees in the morning and I was pretty damn okay in that tent. Really looking forward to using it at a Glastonbury. 

1.Never taking cans in with me. I'll take spirits and maybe 1 just to open when I arrive but it puts on far too much weight for the cost benefit. 

2. Never not taking a pillow. 

1. Drinking the warm, alcoholic, apple soup they serve at the Blue Cider Bus.

2. Camping in Wicket Ground. If the heat and the light don't wake you at 7am, the kids will.

3. Going in a group of 30.

4. Pitching anywhere near a tap, especially at the bottom of a slope.

5. Taking too many clothes.

6. Bringing crates of cans in with me.

55 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Huh, leaving a long drop once I had brown toes , lesson learned, never wear open toe sandals to a long drop in the dark 

The one thing I miss about the old portaloos was listening to the sound of someone opening one in the dark, going inside, and then screaming.

1. Putting a tent up before realising exactly where you have pitched as getting back when you are spangled in the early hours is tough enough as it is without not having a clue whereabouts you are camped.

2. Not checking/wiping a toilet seat before sitting

3. Trying to eat a Yorkie Pudding before I got back to my crew's spot at the Pyramid before a headliner..... dropping it on the floor which cues utter devastation before then thinking it will be fine to try and pick it up and eat it (its only been 3 seconds) that it will be ok.... it wasn't. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The one thing I miss about the old portaloos was listening to the sound of someone opening one in the dark, going inside, and then screaming.

If you are feeling nostalgic for them try the portaloos in the orange car parks on Wednesday mornings. Everyone of them looked like some sort of prison dirty protest. How can someone get shite on the ceiling? 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

If you are feeling nostalgic for them try the portaloos in the orange car parks on Wednesday mornings. Everyone of them looked like some sort of prison dirty protest. How can someone get shite on the ceiling? 

Looking down when in the longdrops is like this too

3 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Looking down when in the longdrops is like this too

Full disclosure - I quite like a peer down into the drops.  Horrified fascination, plus you never know when you'll spot a shoe or a pair of sunnies amidst the brown sharks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

Ive been taking a caravan since 2009 and have never known what the yellow button was for....?!

On the strength of this i have had to watch a couple of 'how to' youtube vids... and go and check my cassette toilet.!

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Full disclosure - I quite like a peer down into the drops.  Horrified fascination, plus you never know when you'll spot a shoe or a pair of sunnies amidst the brown sharks.

Hahaha I thought I was on my own in this.

Being a plumber I'm kinda used to it but the long drops are like a giant shitty game of eye spy sometimes

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I think most look at least once and then after that must just be morbid curiosity.

However the longdrops were the scene of an overheard funny:

At the longdrops up next to the railway line at Pennards on the wednesday in 2017 I was having a piss and heard a clang and a scramble before I heard some poor lass say "shit my phone" I then looked down and saw said phone drop into the murky shitty water below. She demanded that someone go get "someone in charge" to get her phone out before some bloke said "trust me luv, you really don't want that phone back now" 

I then pissed myself laughing at the thought of Michael or Emily getting a call to stop everything they were doing to get a phone out of the pennards longdrop. I was also baked off my face. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, dccool said:

Hahaha I thought I was on my own in this.

Being a plumber I'm kinda used to it but the long drops are like a giant shitty game of eye spy sometimes

But surely theres nothing worse than when it's sunny and you see the reflection in the water of all the holes above