Woodstock 50 cancelled

tevaburger

I tried reading that and all I saw was:

a dream for agencies...iconic brands....meaningful movements...a strong history of producing experiences...an event worthy of the Woodstock brand name...Dentsu Aegis Network’s Amplifi Live, a partner of Woodstock 50, has decided to cancel the festival.

Christ. Makes one wonder...

Woodstock 50 was concieved by a bunch of investors purely to make themselves richer and in their eyes cooler. They don't give a shit about the original event. Their plan has crashed and burned.

Compare with Glastonbury 50. The organisers could financially exploit it to the max and make themselves an absolute fortune.

The reality?  Ticket price remains stable and Water Aid etc get given a stack of cash. Beautiful.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dccool said:

30 million dollars spent on the lineup...

Wonder what glasto budgets for artists? 

No idea, but from ticket sales alone turnover is £35M, That's without parking, campervans, glamping etc. and before anybody has spent a penny on site and I've no idea about TV rights etc.

Its great that GFL give lots of money to charity but let's not pretend the event is anything other than hugely profitable.

12 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

No idea, but from ticket sales alone turnover is £35M, That's without parking, campervans, glamping etc. and before anybody has spent a penny on site and I've no idea about TV rights etc.

Its great that GFL give lots of money to charity but let's not pretend the event is anything other than hugely profitable.

The cost of putting on the festival is massive, building the infrastructure for a population of a small city takes a lot. 

But saying that I’ve never met a poor farmer. 

43 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

You can see the accounts here and the net profit is a great deal less than you anticipate.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04348175/filing-history 

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Woodstock 50 was concieved by a bunch of investors purely to make themselves richer and in their eyes cooler. They don't give a shit about the original event. Their plan has crashed and burned.

Compare with Glastonbury 50. The organisers could financially exploit it to the max and make themselves an absolute fortune.

The reality?  Ticket price remains stable and Water Aid etc get given a stack of cash. Beautiful.

If Emily+Michael turned evil one day could you imagine how much cash could be extracted before the festival's reputation was ruined? Could you imagine? Massive amounts of highly priced camping. Exclusive car park passes for a shorter walk at five times the normal price. VIP golden circle passes for every stage, with a platinum pass at a thousand pounds for every stage.

And the tickets. Oh boy, the tickets.  The first tier is only £30 more than now, but on each release they get more and more expensive until seetickets.glastonbury.com is charging you a £750 for a ticket, or 2 grand for a pair.

And the cutbacks of course. Why have so many little venues when you can just play to the masses from a few big stages. And hand painted bins? Fuck that!

Of course, it wouldn't last. There would be an almighty backlash, the demand would drop off and the bands would stop taking mate's rates. But it wouldn't matter, they'd have their cash by then.

They could earn millions and then fuck off to the Bahamas. I'm so glad they won't.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Bins
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

@stuartbert two hats exactly.

And just imagine the sponsorship dollars that would be available.

Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if for example Google and Apple would get into a bidding war to 'support' the festival.

Sounds horrific doesn’t it? Just as well glastonbury is in such safe hands. The vision in two hats post is scary.

mind you, the idea of paying for a fast track pass for the long drops for the over forties is attractive, bit like the fast track queue pass in Alton towers!