Anyone who's taken their 6 / 7 yo to Glastonbury...

Miathedog

... could you please help settle a discussion between me and hubby? Our boy has been to a few Glastonburys now, and always been young enough to make good use of our sturdy off-road buggy. Now, after the year off, he will be almost 7 when we go, and clearly he's too big for that. Hubby thinks he's tough and will be fine and can just walk all weekend, I'm not so sure... I'm thinking a bike trailer would still be a good idea, for when legs get tired. Am I being too much of a worrier (have previous here!) or is it better to have wheels of some sort?

thanks!

1 hour ago, Miathedog said:

... could you please help settle a discussion between me and hubby? Our boy has been to a few Glastonburys now, and always been young enough to make good use of our sturdy off-road buggy. Now, after the year off, he will be almost 7 when we go, and clearly he's too big for that. Hubby thinks he's tough and will be fine and can just walk all weekend, I'm not so sure... I'm thinking a bike trailer would still be a good idea, for when legs get tired. Am I being too much of a worrier (have previous here!) or is it better to have wheels of some sort?

thanks!

How much walking does he do? Also what about watching stuff at night? My son was 9 and a half when I first took him so was fine, but last year we were at another festival with a six and seven year old as part of our group and they loved getting tucked up in the evening in a shared trolley with a couple of blankets to watch the headliners. I was quite jealous!

Thanks, ravermum, that sounds sweet - we were hoping to try one Pyramid headliner, and him watching tucked up in blankets sounds lovely! He will be tired by then. He does a lot of walking and running around generally, but also is perfectly capable of suddenly refusing to do anything if the mood strikes. We've discussed more and decided to bring the off-road buggy for one last outing, ideally for evening use only . I thought he'd be horrified at the idea of going in it, but actually he was very keen! He just about still fits, so why not ?

In my experience taking my kids to the festival, when all have been different ages, you're definitely in that 'in between age' when they like to walk but don't like the idea of being in any sort of pushchair.

In which case i'd definitely take something for them to be pushed / sleep in!

You might spend a lot of time pushing it around with noone in it, but for those sleep breaks / tired times it'll be a godsend.

My boys will be 11 & 16 at this year's party so the days of transportation around site are long gone but even in 2017 there were times when the then 9 year-old would have happily been tucked into the old bike trailer for a kip if it had been available. 

Unless you & hubby are happy to take turns heading back to camp early with your son then I agree with Woffy that a mobile rest area will be a godsend & will really extend the time you can all be together in the fun.

Thanks everyone, great feedback and backs up what I thought ?

Feel happy we are doing the right thing bringing wheels. I'd rather push it around empty half the day than not have it when we really need it! 

Now we just need the mud to stay away, and it will be perfect!

On 4/28/2019 at 9:34 PM, Miathedog said:

Thanks, ravermum, that sounds sweet - we were hoping to try one Pyramid headliner, and him watching tucked up in blankets sounds lovely! He will be tired by then. He does a lot of walking and running around generally, but also is perfectly capable of suddenly refusing to do anything if the mood strikes. We've discussed more and decided to bring the off-road buggy for one last outing, ideally for evening use only . I thought he'd be horrified at the idea of going in it, but actually he was very keen! He just about still fits, so why not ?

Yeah, get him nice and snug and you’ll have a great evening. Have a brilliant festival ?

1 hour ago, Miathedog said:

Thanks everyone, great feedback and backs up what I thought ?

Feel happy we are doing the right thing bringing wheels. I'd rather push it around empty half the day than not have it when we really need it! 

Now we just need the mud to stay away, and it will be perfect!

Also, remember you can make use of the lock-ups each day if you want to leave the buggy for a bit

In 2017 my just turned 7yr old still needed to crash out in some sort of wheeled contraption. Even though he does a lot of running around in general, all the extra running around and fresh air, plus late nights, did tire him out. This year he will have just turned 9, and I also have two 6yr olds. I can’t be certain he will be up to it so we are taking two garden trolleys with us and only using them in the evenings. He will fit nicely in one and the twins are still small enough to snuggle together in the other one.  I would love to work out how to add a battery to power them along, but I’m clueless when it comes to that sort of thing!

In 2017 my just turned 7yr old still needed to crash out in some sort of wheeled contraption. Even though he does a lot of running around in general, all the extra running around and fresh air, plus late nights, did tire him out. This year he will have just turned 9, and I also have two 6yr olds. I can’t be certain he will be up to it so we are taking two garden trolleys with us and only using them in the evenings. He will fit nicely in one and the twins are still small enough to snuggle together in the other one.  I would love to work out how to add a battery to power them along, but I’m clueless when it comes to that sort of thing!