Secret act 2019

Jake9502

28 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

I reckon Blur.

Albarn already there and Blur popped up with a secret gig in London earlier this year.

This would be exceptional however maybe unlikely. Would be top class though! 

Have there been many years without secret acts? 

Those extolling the virtues of secret shows would do well to remember that Friday at the Other Stage, 2014; when a fevered crowds expectations were audibly quashed with a drop of a curtain reading the fateful words, 'Kaiser Chiefs'.

It's said the groans that day could be heard for miles.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

The Sunday afternoon JP secret act was a first at the last festival. They used to do a lot of secret acts up at the park but they stopped when Health and safety became a concern because of overcrowding. The opener for the Other Stage has been a sort of but not really secret act but don't think they did it at the last festival. The Kaiser Chiefs one mentioned above was meant to be Lorde until she pulled out to go home about a week before the festival. 

I like to think Foals will be there and a secret set might suit them as they are touring a new album in smaller venues first. Blur is possible but I think less likely unless all members of Blur like going. 

1 hour ago, Cockney_Jesus said:

I can see Foals or The 1975 doing a Killers-esque unannounced set this year before taking a big slot in 2020.

If there is a big secret set this year I think one of these is most likely. Dunno about Blur, Damon Albarn is at the festival most years it seems so I don't know if his presence makes it any more likely. 

10 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Wolf Alice.  No knowledge, just a feeling they may show as a surprise. Thought they would be resting/recording this summer but they have announced a few festivals so are active.

They played in '16 and '17 I think but maybe.

In all seriousness, it's not really worth thinking about until much closer to the festival. We need the proper full line up to be out before considering secret sets.

There'll be a thread on here a couple of weeks before the festival that's continually updated with all the rumours, then SecretGlasto is planned to be back in action tweeting them out on the day.  Typically, Twitter will have the most up to date info and the thread on here will contain everything we know in advance.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

In all seriousness, it's not really worth thinking about until much closer to the festival. We need the proper full line up to be out before considering secret sets.

There'll be a thread on here a couple of weeks before the festival that's continually updated with all the rumours, then SecretGlasto is planned to be back in action tweeting them out on the day.  Typically, Twitter will have the most up to date info and the thread on here will contain everything we know in advance.

Who's doing it this year, Stu - just out of curiosity?

13 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

They played in '16 and '17 I think but maybe.

Not 17, so they haven’t played Visions album there. Just think with the Mercury prize, female lead and them active this summer I wouldn’t be surprised it they turned up.

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don’t have a ticket for this year so will be at a lose end for the festival. Are you in need of anybody to take on the reins for this year?

Edit: Nevermind, I’ve just seen your answer to Woffy. :)

Edited by musky

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

Those extolling the virtues of secret shows would do well to remember that Friday at the Other Stage, 2014; when a fevered crowds expectations were audibly quashed with a drop of a curtain reading the fateful words, 'Kaiser Chiefs'.

It's said the groans that day could be heard for miles.

Oh god remember that, we could be a**ed to leave the tent as still chilling with a beer, defo could hear the groans in Paines ground and the familiar sounds of sh**e!! We all agreed we made the right choice staying at the tent lol