Alternatives

Chrisp1986

Due to the absolute shambles of ticket sales this year, is there any alternatives people are aware of in the same week?

I have to book my holiday TWO years in advance from work and give 3 months notice to cancel any so stuck with the week, and following Mon & Tue off. Already got 2020 dates booked off.

Anyone been to any? Including Europe? Done a quick search but can't find any. In the past I have done Sziget instead but can't do that now as it's too many nights away from our daughter and not got time off work.

1 minute ago, Gacheezbo said:

Music wise Rock Werchter is great in terms of bands / sound quality. Nothing much to the festival other than that tbh. Think of it as if you could camp at BST for a weekend in that respect

Is there anything in the surrounding area? eg. at Sziget you can actually walk into Budapest and all of the spas.

2 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Is there anything in the surrounding area? eg. at Sziget you can actually walk into Budapest and all of the spas.

Not in the immediate surrounding area. It's in the middle of the countryside, there's a short (free?) shuttle bus that runs into the nearest town, can't remember the name, but not that much there either, particularly when comparing to Budapest. Much more going on inside Sziget itself in comparison as well 

Rock Wertcher is ok, is very much an arena and camping area....and the arena is just stages tbh. If you can spare the expense, stay in a hotel in nearby Leuven. They do a shuttle bus to the site regularly (as it's the nearest railway station) and it's a great town, full of Belgium beer and waffles. Stayed there when I saw Macca in 2016 as didn't fancy lugging a tent and rucksack on a flight. Morning/lunch in town for food and a few beers, bus to site at about 2/3pm. Bus back at 1am. If the headliners don't float your boat, back into town for 11pm and a late night tanking on Belgian beers.

Faced with the same prospect I volunteered, definitely the right choice for me at the time. It was physically intensive, working 8-2 (i think) Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. I probably went to bed about 3 hours earlier than I might on the Wednesday night and after the headliners on the Friday, plus had to take a disco nap on the Saturday afternoon. Went full on Thursday night, Saturday night and Sunday night, had great festival. 

Got to see the site empty a day early, saved £200, got better camping and got to go to the best festival in the world...

12 minutes ago, DJL said:

Faced with the same prospect I volunteered, definitely the right choice for me at the time. It was physically intensive, working 8-2 (i think) Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. I probably went to bed about 3 hours earlier than I might on the Wednesday night and after the headliners on the Friday, plus had to take a disco nap on the Saturday afternoon. Went full on Thursday night, Saturday night and Sunday night, had great festival. 

Got to see the site empty a day early, saved £200, got better camping and got to go to the best festival in the world...

I'm wondering if the reference to the spa is a reference to trying to find a compromise with an other half about a place to go?

If so the one in Stockholm someone mentioned maybe sounds good?

25 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I'm wondering if the reference to the spa is a reference to trying to find a compromise with an other half about a place to go?

If so the one in Stockholm someone mentioned maybe sounds good?

Aah, I hadn’t connected the threads, makes sense now

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

I think I'm going to go back to Bearded Theory as nice sized festival and quite chilled out

See you Bearded. Thank god I've got that. It’s so ace. But defo can’t be here Glasto weekend now. Weekend away somewhere. Rock Wertcher is an option, Tool and The Cure on the Sat, but the sound of it being an arena and a camp site doesn’t appeal. The trouble is nothing is better than Glastonbury.

Might look at Boomtown in Aug. Maybe BD’s.

2 minutes ago, Perks said:

See you Bearded. Thank god I've got that. It’s so ace. But defo can’t be here Glasto weekend now. Weekend away somewhere. Rock Wertcher is an option, Tool and The Cure on the Sat, but the sound of it being an arena and a camp site doesn’t appeal. The trouble is nothing is better than Glastonbury.

I've literally just bought tickets for Bearded ? see you there..

We're doing Bluedot end of July as well, as love that festival and local to us so win win!!

11 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I've literally just bought tickets for Bearded ? see you there..

We're doing Bluedot end of July as well, as love that festival and local to us so win win!!

Yeah Bearded is wicked, I love it. Will be great and only 4 weeks away ?

What’s Blue Dot like? Just had a quick look at the line up

1 hour ago, Perks said:

I did Boomtown last year for the first time, as my substitute in the fallow year. It is remarkable. Musically it's not as diverse as Glastonbury (it does favour those who love DnB...!) and is not specifically my usual musical stomping ground, but it was absolutely amazing. It would (will...) definitely be my go-to back up in the event of being unsuccessful in getting Golden Tickets®️.

Ben

Opener in Poland and Exit in Serbia are both the weekend after if you want to see The Strokes or The Cure. Not been to either - I have only been to ones in Spain and Portugal to combine with a beach holiday.

Super Bock Super Rock, Primavera Porto, Bilbao BBK and Nos Alive are all decent. Am going to the later again this year to see The Cure and The Chems again - but it's in mid-July.

17 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I did Boomtown last year for the first time, as my substitute in the fallow year. It is remarkable. Musically it's not as diverse as Glastonbury (it does favour those who love DnB...!) and is not specifically my usual musical stomping ground, but it was absolutely amazing. It would (will...) definitely be my go-to back up in the event of being unsuccessful in getting Golden Tickets®️.

Ben

Cheers dude, yeah have heard good things, and the line up is stunning this year. You’ve convinced me. I really fancy it, just gotta try and persuade me pal, he thinks it’s too expensive. But it’s Wednesday till Monday isn’t it? I didn’t think it was bad, although the pricing structure did confuse me a little. What’s your thoughts? Thanks

3 minutes ago, Perks said:

Cheers dude, yeah have heard good things, and the line up is stunning this year. You’ve convinced me. I really fancy it, just gotta try and persuade me pal, he thinks it’s too expensive. But it’s Wednesday till Monday isn’t it? I didn’t think it was bad, although the pricing structure did confuse me a little. What’s your thoughts? Thanks

Pretty sure Boomtown sells out say might need to keep an eye on it.

Boomtown is good @Perks, but you're paying for a lot of the production. You have to pay extra to arrive on the Wednesday. Have a little look at this year's thread...

It did sell out last year, but then didn't... 

Edited by vintagelaureate