Heavier Rock in 2019?

WannabeGlastoVet

Hey guys, 

So this is my third time going to Glasto and I've managed to convince my boyfriend to come along with me, on the promise of good food and good music. Unfortunately, his tastes are a bit heavier than mine and whilst I'm pretty happy with the lineup so far he's not overly thrilled. I've tried to give him the old 'It's about more than the music' line, but I don't think he'll understand that until we get there. 

I really want him to be as hyped as I am, so if anyone knows of any confirmed or strongly rumoured acts that are on the heavier side of rock that I can use to get him excited I'd be really grateful! Also, if anyone has experience going as a rock fan in the past and you know the best places to hang out to see acts you like I'd love the tips. 

Fully understand this - which is why I go to download for my fix.

JP tent can offer some relief, as does, remarkably, the accoustic tent that can often feature heavier artists going accoustic (hawkwind this year). Then there's Earache in the naughty corner...

I'm hoping The Hu will turn up somewhere....

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

There was a rumour of Rolo Tomassi, which would be amazing. The Earache Express area in the Naughty Corner should certainly float his metal boat. Before that, in the past few years the heaviest it's got is the likes of Enter Shikari. I'd love to see that change but I don't think it'll be this year...

I'm not even sure that I would call his music taste metal, probably more like hard rock than the indie rock that they seem to be catering mainly towards this year. 

His favourite band of all time is Dillinger Escape Plan and he also really loves Ghost and Gojira if that's any indication?

Earache express and Truth stage! I like the heavier stuff too, and 2017 was the first time it felt properly representative - Napalm death, ho99o9, Dead Kennedys, Frank Carter, wormrot, dropkick murphys and king gizzard all played and were varying shades of brilliant and heavy. The Earache lineup is more or less imminent so it’ll be worth studying the announced bands if you’re not already familiar with em. 

????

@WannabeGlastoVet if your man likes Dillinger I'd be surprised if he didn't like Rolo Tomassi. In all honesty I dunno if the Rolo rumour is true, they can only play on the Friday if so. 

Long story short, if you want a weekend of heavy rock, metal, math core, you won't get your fill at Glastonbury, unfortunately. Unless they pull a massive surprise out of the bag this year. He'll still have an amazing time though.

• Upvote 1

I'm also going to Download to get my 'heavy' fix before Glasto!

This year looks like there could be a serious lack of Rock at the main stages, considering last year (2017) we had Royal Blood, Foo Fighters and Biffy Clyro right at the top of the bill. However, there is almost always some rock music at John Peel each day. So far the heavier acts confirmed or rumored off the top of my head include Fat White Family, Fontaines DC, Idles, Rolo Tomassi and The Amazons - this list will undoubtedly grow as more is announced and as ever, there will be new bands to discover!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WannabeGlastoVet said:

Hey guys, 

So this is my third time going to Glasto and I've managed to convince my boyfriend to come along with me, on the promise of good food and good music. Unfortunately, his tastes are a bit heavier than mine and whilst I'm pretty happy with the lineup so far he's not overly thrilled. I've tried to give him the old 'It's about more than the music' line, but I don't think he'll understand that until we get there. 

I really want him to be as hyped as I am, so if anyone knows of any confirmed or strongly rumoured acts that are on the heavier side of rock that I can use to get him excited I'd be really grateful! Also, if anyone has experience going as a rock fan in the past and you know the best places to hang out to see acts you like I'd love the tips. 

He’ll be lucky, they are getting better but for some reason it’s the most overlooked genre of the whole festival.

There’ll be the odd band here and there spread on various stages throughout the whole weekend plus the earache stage but that’ll be about it.

Reef and Hawkwind are there so that’s something 

On 4/25/2019 at 4:59 PM, WannabeGlastoVet said:

I'm not even sure that I would call his music taste metal, probably more like hard rock than the indie rock that they seem to be catering mainly towards this year. 

His favourite band of all time is Dillinger Escape Plan and he also really loves Ghost and Gojira if that's any indication?

Gojira playing the Truth stage ?????