What to Wear (Accounting for all weather)

EMorgz92

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

You see, I really struggle with this. Shorts are my default, obviously, but I tend to change into jeans for the evening. Everyone’s saying a hard no to jeans, but what are the alternatives?

Those kind of ‘walking’ trousers you get from Millers etc are just pure awful and make me look some dodgy Scout Leader who’s definitely not to be trusted with the kids. Army surplus? Maybe, but I don’t want to look like an ex-member of the Levellers. Or, even worse, a current member. Then you enter the world of horrific lairy coloured fisherman’s trousers, where I might as well write ‘c**t’ on my forehead with a marker pen. 

Whole thing is a sartorial nightmare. 

Have you considered golfing trousers? These are a snip at £88.50. (I've no idea why golfers don't have an upper body)

Scribblz Redux Men's Trouser MTO

I just tend to take a pair of Craghopper walking trousers that can zip off at the knee and another pair that are fleece lined incase it gets really chilly.

I've stopped taking bulky upperwear now. Just tshirts (can layer up) and a simple hoody. If it gets chilly, I'll buy something at one of the 2nd hand clothes stalls. Got a very 90's fleecy Adidas hoody in 2017 for a tenner.

Rain jacket for slight rain. If it gets heavier, will wear a big standard poncho over the top which combined keeps me dry and warm.

The one thing I always find newbies forget is that if it's clear sunny skies during the day, the temperature can drop hugely at night if it's still a clear sky and you're in the middle of the countryside.

jumpsuits for me are the ultimate no - anything that might touch the long drop floors makes me shudder. Husband can get away with a pair of skinny black jeans that go into his boots - they dont get that wet but then we do tend to chuck on the waterproof trews at the merest hint of a shower. And then off again if it gets too hot. And repeat tediously.

I take one pair of what I shall now refer to as Levellers work trousers, 2 pairs of jersey harem trousers, some leggings and some hopeful sunny day shorts. This year some gold hot pants are in the mix as well. No jeans as you cant fall into the tent and sleep in them.

• Like 1

Shorts or cotton trousers for the legs. A few thin base layers under a tshirt or maybe not if its warm. After 5 / 6pm Im not generally not back at my tent until the early morning and I hate carrying a bag around with me so if it rains I get wet. The cold never bothers me unless its close to sub zero so I just put up with. Yeah it gets cold at night but I have beer jacket on at that stage.

3 hours ago, Keithy said:

The one thing I always find newbies forget is that if it's clear sunny skies during the day, the temperature can drop hugely at night if it's still a clear sky and you're in the middle of the countryside.

This. It can be freezing at night after a hot day. 2010 was very cold at night for me. I tend to take gloves and a woolly hat now as a result. Sounds excessive but I hate being cold and I don't think my body temperature regulation is great. Wearing shorts at night is just a no-no for me. Soon as the sun goes down I want my legs covered when I'm at a festival. Especially if it's been hot in the day as I find it a real contrast.

As other ladies have said, dresses and leggings are the winning combo. Took me years to figure that out. Maybe also tops and skirts. I tend to take leggings out in my day bag for when it gets cooler later. Also usually wear a thin jumper and a hoodie. Obviously take rain gear but that doesn't keep you warm, and very rarely need/wear my waterproof trousers.

In terms of footwear: converse and wellies every time. I usually take Birkenstocks too but rarely wear them far from the camp as don't like being barefoot around the loos etc. Also one year my friend cut her foot on a rock while wearing flip flops and had to get it bandaged daily at the medical tent. Made an exception for that scorcher of a Wednesday in 2017 though and took my sandals round the site. Trouble is once it gets dark the grass gets damp so not ideal really. Would always take them for round camp though. 

Walking boots, good socks (double layer ideally), shorts, thin t-shirt on you then a hoodie and something wind/showerproof will see you through most everything without needing to take things on/off too often. Add a poncho if there's going to be horrid stuff - worth getting a half decent one beforehand though so it's not a single-use waste - they're nice things to have hidden in the bottom of your bag for anything that might end up with some outdoors and it will get some rough treatment, a torn poncho is useless.

As said it can be shockingly single figures cold at night so something warm for the evening too if you're not moving around so much. Obvs forecast dependent but best be prepared and be able to leave it at the tent. Doesn't need to be fancy a wooly jumper under a windproof is excellent. If there's any point, other than decent boots, that I'd spend more money it's the wind/showerproof. Plasticy non breathable ones are rough a.f. while the nice ones are silky and breathe very well so you end up faffing around less.

11 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

who wants to get the op a ticket ? :) all these clothing choices and she's got no ticket ....

Well we weren't successful last night ? but we'll try again on Sunday... 

7 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Walking boots, good socks (double layer ideally), shorts, thin t-shirt on you then a hoodie and something wind/showerproof will see you through most everything without needing to take things on/off too often. Add a poncho if there's going to be horrid stuff - worth getting a half decent one beforehand though so it's not a single-use waste - they're nice things to have hidden in the bottom of your bag for anything that might end up with some outdoors and it will get some rough treatment, a torn poncho is useless.

As said it can be shockingly single figures cold at night so something warm for the evening too if you're not moving around so much. Obvs forecast dependent but best be prepared and be able to leave it at the tent. Doesn't need to be fancy a wooly jumper under a windproof is excellent. If there's any point, other than decent boots, that I'd spend more money it's the wind/showerproof. Plasticy non breathable ones are rough a.f. while the nice ones are silky and breathe very well so you end up faffing around less.

Frostypaw speaketh the truth, agree with all of this. A decent lightweight waterproof jacket that you can fold/screw up in your bag is just the ticket.

A lot of bare-legged beasts on this thread- am I the only one who doesn't wear shorts?

Combined with the outcome of the wellies/boots poll I have managed to extrapolate the average efestivals male:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mr.Tease

12 hours ago, Madyaker said:

The cold never bothers me unless its close to sub zero so I just put up with. 

First year of Thursday night opening at the Picnic (2016 I think?) was as cold as I have ever been at any festival. Proper frost. You fairly notice the difference when there's hardly anyone else about the campsites farting. 

14 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

jumpsuits for me are the ultimate no - anything that might touch the long drop floors makes me shudder. Husband can get away with a pair of skinny black jeans that go into his boots - they dont get that wet but then we do tend to chuck on the waterproof trews at the merest hint of a shower. And then off again if it gets too hot. And repeat tediously.

I take one pair of what I shall now refer to as Levellers work trousers, 2 pairs of jersey harem trousers, some leggings and some hopeful sunny day shorts. This year some gold hot pants are in the mix as well. No jeans as you cant fall into the tent and sleep in them.

There's a knack to it. As you sit you need to keep your knees apart so that the waistband of the trews is held taught to prevent the whole thing slithering down your legs and onto the nightmarish floor below.  As well as keeping your kecks clean it doubles up as a handy hip workout.

Think most things have been covered but would definitely recommend some light but warm long sleeved tops they give you a lot of warmth for not a lot of bulk in your bag. Something like this https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-long-sleeve-running-t-shirt-ladies-456137 or some base layers that you can put under your clothes. They can be so handy if the weather gets a bit chilly quickly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Frostypaw speaketh the truth, agree with all of this. A decent lightweight waterproof jacket that you can fold/screw up in your bag is just the ticket.

Cheers but gotta be clear poncho >>> normal waterproof. Until you get into serious money there's nothing so breathable as having massive flappy arm things unless you want to go the brolly route but it's a festival so don't be a dick etc.

Works better if you've not got waterproof bottoms as it'll go past your bum/pockets and mostly shade your shoes even in the wide open and you can sling most on over a daypack.

I mean if you wanna go blblical get an OR Guardian jacket with the Ascentshell 3 which is amazing or a Paramo Quito which was a revelation in a different way but they'll set you back £££ while a good poncho is £12, smaller and lighter than both and 100% impermeable with no reproofing or care and you're at a festival oi oi

Can fit all sorts of costume or nonsense around those basics once a full day's requirements fit in a litre of space or round your waist

All this talk of shorts!

What are we, children from the 1950s?

A gentleman never wears shorts unless he is unfortunate enough to be employed as a professional, non golfing, sportsman. The danger of any ladies present getting a case of the vapours is simply too great a risk. 

Edited by fatyeti24

I borrowed my brothers gore tex walking waterproof which comes down just below my bum in 2014 and I could not recommend this more. I used a poncho before but this was a thousand times better and I was still dry even in that rain that shut down the main stage.

It was so good I invested in one for myself. You are looking at £200 but in my opinion well worth the money if you can afford it as I use outside of Glasto and these things basically last forever if you look after them. They also have a zip in fleece option which I never use at Glasto as it’s never that cold IMO but people here disagree so it may be useful for some.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, Mardy said:

You see, I really struggle with this. Shorts are my default, obviously, but I tend to change into jeans for the evening. Everyone’s saying a hard no to jeans, but what are the alternatives?

Those kind of ‘walking’ trousers you get from Millers etc are just pure awful and make me look some dodgy Scout Leader who’s definitely not to be trusted with the kids. Army surplus? Maybe, but I don’t want to look like an ex-member of the Levellers. Or, even worse, a current member. Then you enter the world of horrific lairy coloured fisherman’s trousers, where I might as well write ‘c**t’ on my forehead with a marker pen. 

Whole thing is a sartorial nightmare. 

There's only one pair of strides, and they're your own, your own, your own

• Upvote 1