What to Wear (Accounting for all weather)

EMorgz92

Don't have tickets yet (resales pending ?) but looking at the mixture of weather over the last few weeks and it's got me thinking about what clothes to take. Last time (2017 - bloody glorious) I wore shorts, t-shirt, walking boots and took a light shirt and a sweatshirt out with me for later in the evening.

But I've since found myself taking gym/sports leggings EVERYWHERE even on holiday to Gambia and Malaysia because they are so comfortable, breathable and dry quickly, HOWEVER they are not warm... and I also know I would want to get my legs out if we were hit with 2017-type weather! I do have a very spangly pair of silver mermaid-print leggings from fancy dress a few years ago ?

But now I'm acting like a grandma and even contemplating taking a pair of jeans and I'm frying my brain with the decision.... so I thought I would ask, what do most people wear/take clothes-wise for Glasto? I am female but male viewpoints are of course welcome!

2 minutes ago, EMorgz92 said:

Don't have tickets yet (resales pending ?) but looking at the mixture of weather over the last few weeks and it's got me thinking about what clothes to take. Last time (2017 - bloody glorious) I wore shorts, t-shirt, walking boots and took a light shirt and a sweatshirt out with me for later in the evening.

But I've since found myself taking gym/sports leggings EVERYWHERE even on holiday to Gambia and Malaysia because they are so comfortable, breathable and dry quickly, HOWEVER they are not warm... and I also know I would want to get my legs out if we were hit with 2017-type weather! I do have a very spangly pair of silver mermaid-print leggings from fancy dress a few years ago ?

But now I'm acting like a grandma and even contemplating taking a pair of jeans and I'm frying my brain with the decision.... so I thought I would ask, what do most people wear/take clothes-wise for Glasto? I am female but male viewpoints are of course welcome!

cant advise much ... but yes to any kind of fancy dress .... and no to jeans (they are horrendous when wet ) 

Don’t wear jeans! Awful if it’s wet!

I (a man) just wear shorts, whatever the weather, and have a handy combination of layers on hand to suit conditions - waterproof coat, spangly jackets, warm jumpers/ hoodies to go over a t-shirt.

My wife wears tights underneath her shorts if it’s a bit chilly. That’s the extent of my female Glastonbury fashion advice ?

Something warm for past 10pm is essential.

Biggest dilemma is rain gear:
If showers, then poncho or similar thin thing that gets wet then keeps you wet and is of no use. But it does dry out in the sun like incy wincy spider..
If continually effing wet and cool, then a proper coat.

But rain gear will not be needed.

20 minutes ago, EMorgz92 said:

Jeans = no. Impossible to dry and too hot if its sunny

Personally, I think leggings are great. They dry super quick, and sure they're not as warm as jeans BUT you can layer them if its really that cold. I've never taken sports leggings though, more the plain black ones you can get, they're probably a bit thicker and it means you can wear dresses/skits/shorts/whatever even if its cold, and just whip them off to get the legs out if the sun is in agreement. I usually take enough for a new pair every day in case of extreme mud, but often (like 2017) don't wear them all as sometimes its warm enough not to bother. And then you can basically wear whatever you want :) 

This year I also have some crazy flares in a pretty funky material. Sadly though, the weather has to be bone dry and not crazy hot for them to get an outing. Saw so many girls at Boomtown with flares trailing through the mud. Not a good look!

Then a load of hoodies and jumpers (layering is essential) and a big rain poncho/coat which is reasonably long (i.e. way past waist length) to keep you as dry as possible

Edited by Sasperella

I'll be volunteering at the Lost Horizon sauna venue. We have a simple dress code: nothing! If it's hot, bum around in the garden; if it's cold, jump in the sauna; if it's raining, dance in the rain!

But I'll be taking a selection of garmentry to wear outside Lost Horizon so as not to upset the punters. Sun hat, shorts and sandals I hope!

• Like 1

I've bought a pair of Dickie's workman trousers which I'm now thinking might be a little heavy to wear during a Somerset June. They'll be perfect for Irish festivals later in the year. Although if I can pull off the 'backstage' look that might help with a lot of queuing. I'll just have to carry a traffic cone about everywhere, make it authentic. 

In all seriousness, I always go shorts. If you keep your core warm, the legs don't really suffer.

The ideal coat is a thin but waterproof one. I have a serious Gore-Tex effort for hardcore weather that still stuffs easily into a small day pack, and a light trendy pakamac for showers - I'll make a call on which one to bring at the last possible moment.

I say it every year, but walking boots trump wellies every single time. They are so much more comfortable and easier to dance in.

You see, I really struggle with this. Shorts are my default, obviously, but I tend to change into jeans for the evening. Everyone’s saying a hard no to jeans, but what are the alternatives?

Those kind of ‘walking’ trousers you get from Millers etc are just pure awful and make me look some dodgy Scout Leader who’s definitely not to be trusted with the kids. Army surplus? Maybe, but I don’t want to look like an ex-member of the Levellers. Or, even worse, a current member. Then you enter the world of horrific lairy coloured fisherman’s trousers, where I might as well write ‘c**t’ on my forehead with a marker pen. 

Whole thing is a sartorial nightmare. 

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, Mark Doran said:

I'll be volunteering at the Lost Horizon sauna venue. We have a simple dress code: nothing! If it's hot, bum around in the garden; if it's cold, jump in the sauna; if it's raining, dance in the rain!

But I'll be taking a selection of garmentry to wear outside Lost Horizon so as not to upset the punters. Sun hat, shorts and sandals I hope!

Never been to LH but having been to a naked sauna in Amsterdam and LOVED it, it's on my to-do list for this year (tickets allowing!!)

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

You see, I really struggle with this. Shorts are my default, obviously, but I tend to change into jeans for the evening. Everyone’s saying a hard no to jeans, but what are the alternatives?

Those kind of ‘walking’ trousers you get from Millers etc are just pure awful and make me look some dodgy Scout Leader who’s definitely not to be trusted with the kids. Army surplus? Maybe, but I don’t want to look like an ex-member of the Levellers. Or, even worse, a current member. Then you enter the world of horrific lairy coloured fisherman’s trousers, where I might as well write ‘c**t’ on my forehead with a marker pen. 

I think this post has made my day.

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

If you don't like walking/hiking trousers, why not just regular combats?

Not in camo, though, obviously. You can get them in a decent range of colours.

On a similar note to the original post where is good to get some new clothes at the festival?

I'm talking the type you'd never wear outside of the fence but always seem like a good idea at the time when at the festival.

Is it oxfam that have a few places dotted around site?

My top tip for evening wear... base layers! I have them for running and they work brilliantly at Glastonbury. Just pop one under your t-shirt when it starts getting chilly and you’re away, stuck a hoodie on and you’re lovely and toasty.

You can pick them up for a couple of quid from Sports Direct too.

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

My wardrobe: Two pairs of shorts, some T-shirts, pants, socks, one hoodie. And a raincoat.

Yep, this.  My waterproof rolls up into a small carry pack with a belt loop.  Lives on the back of my belt if the weather looks changeable, easy to get hold of if needed and doubles up as a useful little mini pillow if I want a lie down.

I have a pair of thermal leggings (they're plain black, but fleece on the inside) and I tend to stuff them in my bag and throw them on in the night when it gets cold. I also have a couple catsuits for this year that are going to see some wear and i'll probably have knee high socks to cover the bottoms of my legs as I dont think the cat suits are warm. 

I have a super super lightweight rainjacket that I can carry in my bag but it provides 0 warmth so if it's truly raining I need a sweater underneath or I get very chilly at night. 

Outside of that I have a couple funky jackets i'll throw on over my top/shorts/legging combo for the beautiful warm nights we'll be having. 

Edited by MetaKate