No longer 'allowed' to go

Chrisp1986

You just need to have a talk with her. It sounds like quite a suffocating relationship to be in. 

It might sound selfish, but no one in my life comes before anyone or anything else (I don't have kids).

I always strike a balance between time with my partner, time with my friends and time to myself and to have it any other way would really impact my own wellbeing and mental health. 

7 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Update.

Now going as long as it's on coach as she hates the car park walk and as long as it's on Thursday and as long as it's from Leeds. You are right, we were noth going as a couple with a friend setting tent up for us on Wednesday.

You can try the coach and general and if you miss the coach sale get coach tickets from national express. Great news matey.

Sounds a barrels of laughs, my wife was meant to be going for the first time however her friend is now pregnant so the coach tickets she and her friend got went back in the pot, I’m moving house mid to end of June but nothing (apart from serious illness to me and my family) would stop me from going! It’s 5 days not 5 weeks! Go enjoy yourself with or without her

I'm single but if I was with someone and he wanted to go to Glastonbury and I couldn't go because of something he was part of creating (a pregnancy, a baby) then I wouldn't be very happy if he went without me.... but if my fictional partner ever tried to tell me I couldn't go a divorce/break up would be imminent ?

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DefLeppard said:

There seems to be some controlling behaviour mentioned in this thread. I don't understand why you would want to drag your partner away from something harmless that they love purely to make yourself feel better about missing out!?  

Don't know if you're referring in part to my comment, but as I said I know it's a dick move ? Glasto brings out the crazy! It's pretty much the only thing I'd ever be 'controlling' about. I could barely handle knowing that ANYONE was there without me the one year we didn't get tickets (husband was the same): we didn't watch it on tv or anything ?. Sad but true. 

Wow, can't imagine ever wanting to be in the type of relationship that I would tell my husband or him give me an ultimatum about what either of us can or can't do. If my partner/husband wants to go and spend time with his pals then he has my blessing assuming that its not all the time to the detriment of our relationship. It sounds quite toxic and I would be talking about the underlying problems. Like seriously, you're not allowed any free time? 

Sorry but if my husband told me I couldn't go to Glastonbury knowing my love for the place some serious conversations would be happening but at the end of it I would still be going. (This is all on the assumption that there aren't bigger problems at home that need to be dealt with) 

However I am lucky in the fact that we met at Glastonbury so its a given that we both go and we both love it. 

This will be my 8th Glastonbury and beyond the first 2 years where I had paid work at the festival it has always been a bone of contention in our house. My wife is the polar opposite of me and could not think of anything worse than attending Glasto every year, but appreciates and recognises how important it is for me and what I gain from going as a release from the outside world. 

When I didn't have to pay to go and actually came back with money in my pocket which could contribute to a family holiday later in the summer it was a much easier sell, however in the years since I have volunteered on both recycling crew and wristbanding, as well as attending as a regular punter twice (3rd time this year) it has become a bigger challenge. In her eyes it is a week of A/L and substantial money out of the bank which isn't being spent on the family which I really do appreciate, especially when considering that she is not a festival person at all so doesn't "get it", no matter how much I bang on about it each year. 

If i thought that me attending would have serious repercussions on our relationship or if it meant that a main family holiday wouldn't happen as a result, then of course I would sacrifice my week of escape. However I am blessed that, despite her protests, she begrudgingly accepts that if I find a way to go each year then I will go. As long as we get a decent summer holiday and my remaining 4 weeks of leave are used to spend time with the family then the balance is just about right. I do however try and make up for it throughout the year and go the extra mile to make sure she also has the same escape time that I have. Maybe not in the same hedonistic way, but certainly with a spa weekend or two which is much more her thing! 

Ultimately it is different for everyone depending on finances, childcare, age of the kids, and all manner of other personal circumstances. Glastonbury, as incredible as it is, is not worth losing the most important thing in life which is family. There will be other opportunities to go and always focus on that. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, shuttlep said:

my wife and I have a similiar agreemnet

but basically she does what the Fuck she wants, and so do I , no grief no guilt tripping.

Almost the same with me. She does whatever she wants and I also do whatever she wants...

• Like 1

I didn’t go for 13 (!) years due to having a young family. It was a ‘mainly voluntary’ decision but I do feel your pain. I did miss it, and I probably missed the golden years of headliners. However now the kids are older and I’ve started going again it’s joy doubled. 

After all that time away, the festival was still there, and it was still utterly brilliant. 

15 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I'm single but if I was with someone and he wanted to go to Glastonbury and I couldn't go because of something he was part of creating (a pregnancy, a baby) then I wouldn't be very happy if he went without me...

My wife is very much in this camp and to be honest I understand where she's coming from. Also she has the most incredible FOMO and would be so jealous that I would actually feel bad going without her. 

Each to their own in relationships I guess. Lots of people making judgement calls based on what works for them in their relationships without all the facts of OPs. 

Of course, this could all be moot depending on last night's outcome, OP?

• Like 1

Just now, Raincatcher said:

My wife is very much in this camp and to be honest I understand where she's coming from. Also she has the most incredible FOMO and would be so jealous that I would actually feel bad going without her. 

Each to their own in relationships I guess. Lots of people making judgement calls based on what works for them in their relationships without all the facts of OPs. 

Of course, this could all be moot depending on last night's outcome, OP?

Well I just think that if you're going to get pregnant, have a baby, that you're in it together and that includes the bad parts like missing glasto. I also suffer from FOMO and would be shattered to miss it because of a pregnancy or baby. 

I dont think i'm at huge risk as i'm single, childless, and live in Canada where no one knows wtf I'm talking about when I mention Glastonbury, but on principal yanno?

16 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Wife will probably get the kids too, Sorted!

Thinking about it,  my only regret about my divorce (split up six days before Glasto 14; I still went, she didn't - hi-5s all round) is that I didn't have any kids to offload too in the process.