No longer 'allowed' to go

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Sp the wife has now said I can no longer go when asked if we should try for coaches today. I have to use my annual leave for family time and not going there. She doesn't want to leave daughter for just 4 nights and now been told not going at all. Only get 5 weeks a/l per year and work 48 hours a week! Glastonbury is my only escape!

Go on your own friday to sunday? We don't know the full circumstances here but if she's insisting that you use all 5 weeks leave for family time that is completely unreasonable. Maybe suggest that if you do this you'll happilly take the kids for another weekend and she can go and do something with her mates. Or else do what I would do to anyone who attempted to place such restrictions and tell her to do one.

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Sp the wife has now said I can no longer go when asked if we should try for coaches today. I have to use my annual leave for family time and not going there. She doesn't want to leave daughter for just 4 nights and now been told not going at all. Only get 5 weeks a/l per year and work 48 hours a week! Glastonbury is my only escape!

At least she's been honest, rather than done a passive aggressive false choice of "do what you think is right" which one of my friends got once and optimisticly thought it was a genuine offer! ?

20 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

You could always fake your own kidnapping. Just remember to take your wristband off before you come home, otherwise she may suspect that you weren't being fully honest.

Or just say you're going for a loaf of bread on Wednesday morning and come home Monday!

I couldn't go in 2015 as it clashed with my youngest's due date (my fault for not doing basic preganancy maths) although in the end he didn't arrive until 2 weeks later.

I tried not to complain about it too much, but I think I did enough moping around, glumly watching all the TV coverage all weekend, that she realised she'd not stop me from missing it again.   It was the first one I'd missed in 17 years.

In a way, it was quite interesting watching from home for the first time, being able to flick through the stages quickly on tv rather than trudging through sludge to get there.  And it is a bit much to take 6 days away from the family every year.  So I've suggested making this a regular break, and I'd stay at home with them all, and to see what it's like on tv,  once every 17 years.

• Upvote 3

Aside from the worrying 'been told not to go aspect', surely there is a compromise here?

We've had to work around childcare (and pregnancy) and work committments on more than one occasion; this year being no exception.

So there are alternatives that can be (hopefully) found.

2017 my wife couldn't get Annual Leave until the Friday. I went on the Tuesday night / Wednesday morning to set up, spent the day there, drove home Wednesday evening, went to work on the Thursday (that was weird), and we both travelled back down after work and we're on site by 7pm Thursday evening.

2015 friends set up our tent on the Wednesday and we got there early Friday morning so my wife - then pregnant didn't have to spend too many nights sleeping on an air bed. Missing the Wednesday / Thursday was excrutiating, but that was the compromise so i got to go.

This year my wife will be 8 months pregnant at the time of the festival, but early on Sunday morning she's bringing our 3 year old to B&W Drop Off & Collect Area where i'll meet them - drop off most of my kit / tent and pick up the pushchair - get the shuttle bus back, spend most of the day in the Kidz Field and T&C areas not getting hammered and leave after the Sunday headliners.

Admittedly living only an hour away helps, so this might be a factor.

Is there no compromise you can suggest / come up with?

5 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Aside from the worrying 'been told not to go aspect', surely there is a compromise here?

We've had to work around childcare (and pregnancy) and work committments on more than one occasion; this year being no exception.

2017 my wife couldn't get Annual Leave until the Friday. I went on the Tuesday night / Wednesday morning to set up, spent the day there, drove home Wednesday evening, went to work on the Thursday (that was weird), and we both travelled back down after work and we're on site by 7pm Thursday evening.

2015 friends set up our tent on the Wednesday and we got there early Friday morning so my wife - then pregnant didn't have to spend too many nights sleeping on an air bed. Missing the Wednesday / Thursday was excrutiating, but that was the compromise so i got to go.

This year my wife will be 8 months pregnant at the time of the festival, but early on Sunday morning she's bringing our 3 year old to B&W Drop Off & Collect Area where i'll meet them - drop off most of my kit / tent and pick up the pushchair - get the shuttle bus back, spend most of the day in the Kidz Field and T&C areas not getting hammered and leave after the Sunday headliners.

Some great logistical work there Woffy, mighty impressed. 

6 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Congrats on the impending arrival dude!! How many mini-Woffy’s is this now?

2 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Congrats on the impending arrival dude!! How many mini-Woffy’s is this now?

Thanks!

I think it'll be 6, but they won't keep still long enough to count properly.

Anyone else concerned at the lack of response from the OP? I'm wondering if they've used up all their alloted online time for the day.

Edited by Woffy
Spelling
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I can understand if Glastonbury would take all the money and there would be nothing left in the pot for a family trip, but if you can do both and its a matter of days/week off then I'd be inclined to say go for it

This - the rule in our house is that the annual family holiday comes first, both financially and in terms of annual leave allocation, but after that everything is fair game. I can totally understand the wife saying no if you going to Glastonbury would mean that you couldn’t have a holiday with your wife and daughter but just to arbitrarily say no seems a tad harsh! Can you bring your daughter with you?

• Upvote 1

Family do come first yes. However, I always remember the advice my father-in-law gave me when my wife and I were expecting our first child. His advice was to never stop living when you start a family (by neglecting yourselves), your children will be your everything but always look after yourself and do things you need to to be happy. It sounds obvious but it's actually not that easy to practice in a busy family. I sympathise with your wife's opinion as well as your desire to go. I have 3 children myself, (one with a severe learning disability) and Glastonbury is one of things I look to first for escapism / respite – I know it's pretty selfish as it's not something we do together but sometimes being a little selfish can actually be a healthy thing. (Having said all that I haven't managed to get a ticket yet!). Best of luck to you.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

There’s a Dolly Parton song that might help here...

Tammy Wynette surely? Anyway my wife is very cool and has never objected to me going. She knows how much it means to me. I even left for part of one day -for my bro-in-law's wedding. No way was I missing the night too.