Volunteering - few questions

Bernieray

I’m attending my first Glastonbury as a volunteer this year. I’m really excited about this new experience!! 

I have a few of questions I hope you guys can help with; 

1) I am arriving into castle Cary train station on the Tuesday, will there be shuttle busses be running or am I best to jump in a taxi? 

2) Which gate do I need to head for to access the grounds? 

3) will I get a festival program/tote bag? 

4) can I still take alcohol onto the site? 

Thanks in advance ?

Depends on who you are volunteering for and what arrangements they have! In regards to transport and which gate you go to? And when you arrive!  You can pretty much take with you what you would normally take on site! There are plenty of crew bars open before weds which most volunteers can access! Yes you csn normally get a programme and tote bags were extra for everyone last year! Volunteering is a great way of enjoying the festival! Enjoy the experience! 

1 hour ago, Bernieray said:

I’m attending my first Glastonbury as a volunteer this year. I’m really excited about this new experience!! 

1) I am arriving into castle Cary train station on the Tuesday, will there be shuttle busses be running or am I best to jump in a taxi? 

Thanks in advance ?

This is a good thread for you to have a read of, it may answer some questions you didn't realise you had! :)

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2019 at 8:51 PM, Bernieray said:

Thanks in advance ?

1) A tricky one because without knowing who you are volunteering with 

I don't know where they want you to enter. { There is various ways to get in - the two main ones are yellow and red gate but there is other ways which I am not going to mention }

Some Volunteer crew sites can be miles away from the festival site.

at the station there will be various forms of transport and its a case # of asking # although ' you have to be certain you know where your going ' { that will be sent by the people who recruited you } - they may give you a seat if they have space or they may not. 

2) again a impossible question to answer - they for sure will send the details.  

3) I know WBC Volunteers have to buy their own festival programme and have done since 1986 so some Volunteers will get it free and others have to buy it.

4) No problem there although be aware that since 2017 security has been searching more Volunteers bags than they did in previous years - in previous years when we arrived by Crew Coach they were more concerned in checking Volunteer Lists and they never asked to look at any bag but I know that in 2017 they all had to get off the Coach pick up their own bag and that was checked - now how much they checked I don't have a clue as I had a artery bypass so was stuck in Hospital for a Month {June and July} but I do know from the rest of my Team it took ages.

------

Now you may not know much now but you will be sent detailed instructions which you should follow exactly as getting into Glastonbury can be a right pain in the arse if Security is bored so be sure you take the letter with you ' in paper form ' with Valid ID.

once you have the crew wristband and you get your tent up you can then go for a wander 

you can wander into the interstage area { used to be called backstage } and all sorts of areas that you cant walk into the next day

have a read at http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq

as that is the best guide I have ever seen.