Very sad news about Pennard Organic Wine

pie_and_a_pint

33 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

The reality is the margin should be higher than 50% on food, it should be 65% plus (depending on food type)  also don't forget some of the traders will be there more than the 5 days. 

They can also be open 24 hours (or at least 18) so the number of £8 meals increases dramatically,  They will also sell a number of higher margin options (closer to 75%) finally with 250,000 potential customers (depending on location and offerings) they can be very profitable across the festival.

It still must be daunting if you are weather dependent, in or out of vogue on choices and everything else!

Yeah i think you are right ( @incident said the same thing). I was figuring out a 'base case'. I do think that weather, footfall and 'local' competition will be a massive influence on how much a trader makes.

Edited by chuckles07

I know someone who did a clothes stall one year, made a loss and didnt get to party as much as they liked because they had to work all day, so they didnt bother again.

Food a much safer bet presuming you get the right pitch.

I wonder if organic wine's local discount got squeezed? 

10 minutes ago, Hawros said:

However the pitch costs are calculated, as mentioned above, it's obviously off if Pennard Organic Wine (POW) can't afford to be there.

Exactly. They're literally mile away so it's not like they have travel costs to consider. It's purely the pitch fees that have got 'em (and this from a company who, in 2012, told me at a farmer's market I went to that were sad that there was no festival that because it made them so much money)

38 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Exactly. They're literally mile away so it's not like they have travel costs to consider. It's purely the pitch fees that have got 'em (and this from a company who, in 2012, told me at a farmer's market I went to that were sad that there was no festival that because it made them so much money)

Why not ask the question on their FB post?

There could be other factors, or their sales may simply have gone down since 2012.

5 hours ago, Hawros said:

However the pitch costs are calculated, as mentioned above, it's obviously off if Pennard Organic Wine (POW) can't afford to be there.

Pitch fees are surely going to be very high for any bars though? And they were a bar. Even if it didn’t feel like it. 

12 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Pitch fees are surely going to be very high for any bars though? And they were a bar. Even if it didn’t feel like it. 

Yeah, but it's exactly the kind of establishment that the festival should want there. And they've priced them out.