Very sad news about Pennard Organic Wine

pie_and_a_pint

From Facebook:

Hi there!
We have been running our organic wine stall at the Glastonbury Festival ever since we started making our wine in the 1980s. It has been a tremendous experience and we have very much enjoyed meeting all the people who have come to our stall over the last 30 years or so. However, after much thought and deliberation, we have decided that we can no longer afford to do it. We apologise to all our loyal customers and hope you won’t be too disappointed! Thank you so much for all your support; without you it wouldn’t have happened! And a massive, heartfelt thank you to all our volunteers for all your hard work and energy in creating that wonderful atmosphere! You made the stall a special experience for everyone. 
The good news is that we are continuing to make the wines, which are available from our little shop at the vineyard, by mail order (UK only) and some local shops. We hope some of you might come and visit the vineyard where you can taste our full range of products, including scrumpy cider!
It’s the end of an era for us. We have very fond memories of the festival and are very grateful for all your support! Thank you!

6 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

From Facebook:

Hi there!
We have been running our organic wine stall at the Glastonbury Festival ever since we started making our wine in the 1980s. It has been a tremendous experience and we have very much enjoyed meeting all the people who have come to our stall over the last 30 years or so. However, after much thought and deliberation, we have decided that we can no longer afford to do it. We apologise to all our loyal customers and hope you won’t be too disappointed! Thank you so much for all your support; without you it wouldn’t have happened! And a massive, heartfelt thank you to all our volunteers for all your hard work and energy in creating that wonderful atmosphere! You made the stall a special experience for everyone. 
The good news is that we are continuing to make the wines, which are available from our little shop at the vineyard, by mail order (UK only) and some local shops. We hope some of you might come and visit the vineyard where you can taste our full range of products, including scrumpy cider!
It’s the end of an era for us. We have very fond memories of the festival and are very grateful for all your support! Thank you!

Gutted, been a big part of my festival for years meeting friends old and new for some Wednesday and Thursday afternoon drinks.

will have to find a new quiet ish bar good for people watching and friend making....any ideas anyone?

I'm absolutely devastated by this news. I was talking to the guy on the Sunday last time and he mentioned they might not be there again as it was too expensive, but even it's come as a shock. I spent many, many a happy hour here, and I too am at a loss as to where I'll find that has the same atmosphere (and, frankly, where I'm going to get wine from!)

1 minute ago, OG said:

Forgive me if I'm being stupid but is pennard the one that runs all the wine bars as in the one below or just the one separate from these?

Wine-Bar2-e1499278152185-225x300.jpg

Just the one separate to these I think, round corner from ridge and furrow and greenpeace 

37 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Just the one separate to these I think, round corner from ridge and furrow and greenpeace 

33 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

No, they look(ed) like this and are located between Greenpeace and Avalon, two doors up from the Pizza Tabun yurt.

742613489_Screenshot2019-04-24at21_28_14.png.fd567af57b38a5e132ffb7bafd249de9.png

Thanks

47 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

No, they look(ed) like this and are located between Greenpeace and Avalon, two doors up from the Pizza Tabun yurt.

742613489_Screenshot2019-04-24at21_28_14.png.fd567af57b38a5e132ffb7bafd249de9.png

Welling up now.

I had this down as my Friday headliner.

Once got talking to some drummer from a band outside here and ended up staying there about four hours. It will be sorely missed.

27 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Am both saddened and shocked by this. 

If they couldn't afford it, things more important than 'market forces' should have taken preference.  :(

Spot on. 

I’m mortified by this loss. It’s not as if there are heaps of other organic wine suppliers who would be willing to step into their place. They were ideally suited to that location and it would be grim indeed if some bright spark felt that it could be replaced with some anonymous wine bar in Williams Green or something. I do sometimes feel as if whoever is responsible for this kind of stuff has lost the plot. 

Well this is sad news - it’s always a great place to pop in for a quiet sit down and a drink. I was surprised when talking to another small stall holder how much a stall actually costs. I am surprised some of the smaller ones make any profit.

21 minutes ago, Upside down frowner said:

Not stupid- I googled to find the answer to the same question 

End up drinking too much wine from these places

Top Tip... stay away from the wine until the Sunday. Cider & Spirits the first 4 days but when the Sunday comes and it's a struggle to get as "refreshed" then add a few large wines into the mix and hey presto!

Disappointing that a long established trader can't make the numbers work, particularly a local business. You'd rather hope that Glastonbury would give them a cheaper pitch rate* even if it meant maybe moving to a less prime spot. 

It's little places like this that add to Glastonbury.

* of course they might already be on a reduced rate but still can't make the numbers work.

• Like 1