5G @ Glastonbury 2019

risteard

OK - it's been a while since I was designing the electronics for phones, but here goes...

You phone as per the video above is a transmitter, and being an inverse square law, the closer you hold it to yourself, the more exposure. (a daft thing in the video pointing out that, yes, the as-tested distance is greater than you holding it - duh). Now, you might therefore assume that having antennas/base stations close would be terrible too - but that's not quite right. Because your phone measures the power level of the signal and transmits accordingly - i.e. if we have a closer antenna, you phone will send out a lower power signal. And, it being inverse square, it's the phone's transmission and not the antenna that is the issue. You'd need to sit on the base station in order to fry your bits. Ideally you want loads of base stations to massively reduce the transmit power of you phone - not the other way around.

Which then comes onto harm - radio waves need to resonate the molecules. And water is at about 2.4GHz - which is what your home wifi is like. Ever noticed your wifi signal die if your microwave is on? 5G is working outside those frequencies. So, if 2.4GHz, a more dangerous frequency hasn't boiled your brains, then 5G won't.

17 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

So, if 2.4GHz, a more dangerous frequency hasn't boiled your brains, then 5G won't.

remember all of those "mobile phone gave me brain cancer" stories years ago? We don't seem to get them now.

However, during the time of the mobile phone, the (proportional) number of brain cancers has risen noticeably in the UK.

Is that caused by mobiles? No one knows. There's loads of other factors that could account for the increase.

I've no idea what the truth is for 5G phones, or any other phone. I'd be happy to see more research.

For being one of only festivals that emphasise things such as the app, wifi, 5g, most connected festival ever etc, my experience of all service on site is absolutely woeful. Not something I particularly miss during the weekend but would be nice to arrange to meet pals etc

I'm sure I read somewhere that 5g uses the same part of the spectrum that was previously used by terrestrial TV, prior to the digital switch over?

Were all the people who are opposed to 5g, also opposed to terrestrial TV for the best part of the 20th century?

Just wondering.

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

However, during the time of the mobile phone, the (proportional) number of brain cancers has risen noticeably in the UK.

Only one type, the other types have remained the same or fallen. Only 0.01% of people get brain tumors. Its very very rare. Ionised radiation can cause it, theres no evidence whatsoever that radio frequencies do. 5G or otherwise. 

Theres RF radiation in the sky, radar, our own bodies, in the soil. And its been "man made" since the invention of the radio 150 years ago. 

Its an alt right scare tactic which seems to almost exclusively affect people who spend too much time on facebook.

35 minutes ago, Sku said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that 5g uses the same part of the spectrum that was previously used by terrestrial TV, prior to the digital switch over?

Were all the people who are opposed to 5g, also opposed to terrestrial TV for the best part of the 20th century?

Just wondering.

Only partially correct (I just googled it)

terrestrial TV: 54 to 806 MHz
5G:  600 MHz to 6 GHz, and 24–86 GHz

It's worth noting that the worries about 5G frequencies is for the 24–86 GHz range - which is the part that doesn't dip into the terrestrial TV range.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

It's worth noting that the worries about 5G frequencies is for the 24–86 GHz range - which is the part that doesn't dip into the terrestrial TV range.

And the part that, as yet, hasn't actually been approved / auctioned / licenced for use in the UK so won't be used at Glastonbury or anywhere else for the next few years anyway.

32 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Only one type, the other types have remained the same or fallen. Only 0.01% of people get brain tumors. Its very very rare. Ionised radiation can cause it, theres no evidence whatsoever that radio frequencies do. 5G or otherwise. 

Theres RF radiation in the sky, radar, our own bodies, in the soil. And its been "man made" since the invention of the radio 150 years ago. 

Its an alt right scare tactic which seems to almost exclusively affect people who spend too much time on facebook.

I lean towards the scare tactic thing, if for no other reason than all of the wrong/hyped stuff I've seen just googling on it today. 

And it sounds like you know what's what here, but...

Googling earlier I did find references to radio waves being able to increase incidences of cancer in mice (rats?), but only a small increase, and when using very powerful signals (far more than 5G).

And while there's been man-made radio waves for 150 years, it's only fairly recently that people have been spending significant time with transmitters next to their head.

So from those I've got a fairly open mind to there possibly being an effect, tho it seems likely that the number of people affected is very small if there is an effect.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, drunk pumpkin said:

To give that some context for comparison, EE point out that the World Health Organisation does warn of the dangers of processed red meat (e.g. bacon and sausages), but not about 5G.

Brilliant!

On 5/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, drunk pumpkin said:

Research into the safety of radio signals has been conducted for more than 50 years; and EE insist that the strong consensus of the public health agencies around the world (such as the WHO)

Glad to see Roger Daltrey and the boys have been looking into this important issue for us!

7 hours ago, jow95 said:

For being one of only festivals that emphasise things such as the app, wifi, 5g, most connected festival ever etc, my experience of all service on site is absolutely woeful. Not something I particularly miss during the weekend but would be nice to arrange to meet pals etc

Not really on topic...but I never notice any issue with connectivity at glastonbury. At shambala I had zero reception for the whole time, right up until i lost my phone, and no one else did either. Granted, I lose my phone at glastonbury too, but at least i know if I keep my hands on it, ill be able to contact people :)

I know its a good test bed for EE but do people really give a shit about these things?

I'm fairly sure my phone doesn't even work on 5g and besides .......

What does everyone use there phone for at the festival?

Personally, Mine is a means of two com's and very occasionally a camera, that's it.  

7 hours ago, Jmei said:

2g has more frying power than 5g when looking at frequencies that resonate with our, in the words of star trek "ugly giant bags of mostly water" bodies. Just because 5g uses mmWave terminology doesn't mean we're turning the festival into a giant popty ping.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

2g has more frying power than 5g when looking at frequencies that resonate with our, in the words of star trek "ugly giant bags of mostly water" bodies. Just because 5g uses mmWave terminology doesn't mean we're turning the festival into a giant popty ping.

Upvoted for the use of popty ping!