5G @ Glastonbury 2019

risteard

Pretty cool that they're at the forefront of helping test new technologies. It's a good place to do it because there's a lot of demand in a very small space so in the future it could prove very useful at Glastonbury. Must be very limited testing though as Lakey says there's only going to be one or two people with 5G phones at the festival.

Edited by bombfrog

Since almost no-one will be able to take advantage of it, I'd be more impressed if the general coverage of 3G/4G was improved so that messages didn't take hours to get through at busy times.... Completely lost touch with mates for hours in the last few years. Rant over!

11 minutes ago, risteard said:

Just read there that they are testing out 5G at Glastonbury 2019. Emily seems quite chuffed. How do we all feel about it considering bans in other places? https://www.nme.com/news/music/5g-mobile-network-to-be-tested-at-glastonbury-2019-2480032

What bans?  There appears to be a load of cobblers spouted about dead birds and a security issue with Huawei equipment, but I don't know of any bans "in other places".

3 minutes ago, Lakey91 said:

Seems kinda pointless as very few people will own a 5G handset by then.

Yeah, it's just yet another example of EE using Glastonbury for marketing gimmicks.

It's not even likely that any 5G phones will have hit the UK retail channels by then - so the only handsets at the festival will either be test/review devices provided by EE themselves or an outside chance that someone has imported one from South Korea or Japan. Get a 25 year old technology like SMS working reliably and I'll be more impressed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, risteard said:

Brussels and Australia

You're getting confused a bit.

Those "bans" (and others) are specifically regarding one particular company that makes 5G equipment. Other companies also make 5G equipment, and none are implicated. As far as I know, nobody anywhere has banned 5G as a concept or as a technology.

There's also a case to be made that at this point there's no actual evidence against that company, just guilt by association and a whispering campaign led by American protectionism, but that's a different conversation.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

You're getting confused a bit.

Those "bans" (and others) are specifically regarding one particular company that makes 5G equipment. Other companies also make 5G equipment, and none are implicated. As far as I know, nobody anywhere has banned 5G as a concept or as a technology.

There's also a case to be made that at this point there's no actual evidence against that company, just guilt by association and a whispering campaign led by American protectionism, but that's a different conversation.

I'm not getting confused.

I know there are bans on companies associated. But I read that a minister Brussels was halting its 5G plans because of health reasons. That is all.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, mazola said:

Someone told me to turn 4g off on my phone at the festival and use 3g only, supposed to be better as less people are using it.

No idea if it's true or not 

can you turn off 4g and only use 3g on phones? I've never seen any option for that, only turning off mobile data overall...

I never had any issues with data at Glastonbury in the last few years anyway, seemed fairly good whenever I used it, and had no problem getting messages....

Edited by ghostdancer1

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

can you turn off 4g and only use 3g on phones? I've never seen any option for that, only turning off mobile data overall...

yes, with phone automatically presuming 4g is faster this can be a nice way of using the under utilised 3g bandwidth..

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I never had any issues with data at Glastonbury in the last few years anyway, seemed fairly good whenever I used it, and had no problem getting messages....

You can on android. 4G signal is useless for me at Glasto

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SecretFish said:

yes, with phone automatically presuming 4g is faster this can be a nice way of using the under utilised 3g bandwidth..

2 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

You can on android. 4G signal is useless for me at Glasto

thanks, just went on the hunt through the settings and found it

(Connections > Mobile Networks > Network Mode on Android)

23 minutes ago, risteard said:

I'm not getting confused.

I know there are bans on companies associated. But I read that a minister Brussels was halting its 5G plans because of health reasons. That is all.

The only article I could find to back this up was from the Brussels Times (the other websites were an array of conspiracy and anti-vaxxer-esge websites) the Brussels Times article (which, I assume, forms the basis of subsequent articles) states that the radiation standards in Belgium are very stringent, and they have had issues with 4G in the past as a result of it, but they're the only country that a quick google search shows as being in opposition to 5G testing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

The only article I could find to back this up was from the Brussels Times (the other websites were an array of conspiracy and anti-vaxxer-esge websites) the Brussels Times article (which, I assume, forms the basis of subsequent articles) states that the radiation standards in Belgium are very stringent, and they have had issues with 4G in the past as a result of it, but they're the only country that a quick google search shows as being in opposition to 5G testing.

Can’t believe everyone going to Glastonbury is coming back a mutant. Glad I ain’t got a ticket.

32 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

iPhone: 

Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Enable 4G > Off

Edited by stu_kent

I couldn't get a stable connection for my live stream at the Pimms stand in the Park one year. Went out and dressed like the Daily Mail told me to and only managed a 90 minute stream before I got cut off. Had to upload it all when I got home like an idiot. Missed out on a tonne of likes.