Us Tall People

wingnut2711

What annoys me is that I arrive early and choose my spot, it's your choice to then stand behind me if you push in late. Remember watching AM at Primavera last year only for a group of girls to shouting abuse at me for being tall and blocking their view - when I had been standing there first. Bit of an argument later they moved to the side only to talk right the way through with their back to the stage :huh:. It's easy to say it doesn't bother me but it certainly puts a downer on the mood and kills any atmosphere when people have a go. I don't know what they're expecting to achieve from shouting abuse? Just ask nicely and if you're that short as others have said I'd have no problem letting you stand in front. Just don't be a dick.

I'm 6'4".  I get to my spot early bearing no ill-will to anyone.  In order to do that, I often arrive at said spot during the previous act.  Many of the supposedly accepting short people in this thread who may be enjoying said act will no doubt consider me a late arrival and get angry as I breach their rules.

I would like to ensure I meet EVERY shorter person's rule of getting there earlier than them or standing behind them.  But there is simply no way to achieve that unless I a) arrive at my spot before the first act of the day or b) stand permanently at the back.

I like being nearer the front.  And I like seeing other acts on other stages.

People are tall, they can't help it.  They don't mean it.  They are probably feeling guilty (and, yes, simultaneously happy) about it.  They don't want to block your view.  My neck and back aches after Glasto because of all the stooping I do to address my guilt.

The only solution I can see:  we all just need to get along and be considerate of others regardless of when they arrive or where they stand and as long as they are considerate in return.  Fortunately, Glastonbury is the place where everyone can and often are simply nice to each other.

The most important thing to remember is that crowds don't remain the same for long.  Over the next ten minutes, all the humans will shuffle and shift about until almost everyone has an equal amount of personal space and the best view they can muster.  If it doesn't happen and you feel angry, calm down and remember that it's very unlikely anyone wants you to have a bad time (unless you're an asshole).

If you ask 99 times out of 100 people will move/swap etc.  Just be nice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, joe_bee said:

I'm 6'4".  I get to my spot early bearing no ill-will to anyone.  In order to do that, I often arrive at said spot during the previous act.  Many of the supposedly accepting short people in this thread who may be enjoying said act will no doubt consider me a late arrival and get angry as I breach their rules.

I would like to ensure I meet EVERY shorter person's rule of getting there earlier than them or standing behind them.  But there is simply no way to achieve that unless I a) arrive at my spot before the first act of the day or b) stand permanently at the back.

I like being nearer the front.  And I like seeing other acts on other stages.

People are tall, they can't help it.  They don't mean it.  They are probably feeling guilty (and, yes, simultaneously happy) about it.  They don't want to block your view.  My neck and back aches after Glasto because of all the stooping I do to address my guilt.

The only solution I can see:  we all just need to get along and be considerate of others regardless of when they arrive or where they stand and as long as they are considerate in return.  Fortunately, Glastonbury is the place where everyone can and often are simply nice to each other.

The most important thing to remember is that crowds don't remain the same for long.  Over the next ten minutes, all the humans will shuffle and shift about until almost everyone has an equal amount of personal space and the best view they can muster.  If it doesn't happen and you feel angry, calm down and remember that it's very unlikely anyone wants you to have a bad time (unless you're an asshole).

If you ask 99 times out of 100 people will move/swap etc.  Just be nice.

If you get there during the previous act doesn’t that mean you stand in front of the short folk there watching that act?

I hang around by the bar and get in quick when previous act finishes. 

On 4/24/2019 at 7:43 AM, MetaKate said:

As a short person, its unavoidable unfortunately. The only time I say something is when someone asks to get by me and then stands directly in front of me. Literally everyone at the fesival can see over my head, but if you stand directly in front of me I cant even see screens. I think as long as you dont do that it's good. 

You're tall, I'm short, nothing we can do about it, just dont be tall AND wear a wide brimmed hat. 

THIS!! 100%. Also short so rarely see anything anyway (made my peace, always enjoy regardless!) I have no qualms with tall people, they cant help it more than we can help being short! But when somebody does that awful "excuse me" and squeezes into a tiny space right in front ?

Tall or short: don't be a knob.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brightyoungthing2 said:

THIS!! 100%. Also short so rarely see anything anyway (made my peace, always enjoy regardless!) I have no qualms with tall people, they cant help it more than we can help being short! But when somebody does that awful "excuse me" and squeezes into a tiny space right in front ?

Tall or short: don't be a knob.

Yes I think the just don't be a dick rule is the only one that really everyone should live by. Being short I've learned to either move or stop getting upset at tall people who arrive 3 or 4 songs into a gig or 3 or 4 songs from the end of the gig to go past me and stop dead when they could as easily see over my head. This may have happened to me twice at a gig on Friday night. 

Kudos to the lovely lady who noticed the second time and asked me if I could still see. Nobody can help their height but they can help being a dick and moving during a show into a spot that will impede another person's view. 

• Upvote 1

I’m the short one of my mates at 6 ft 1, then there are 3 that are 6 ft 3. We tend to stay pretty close together, which usually creates a hole behind us which is great for dancing in. Some of the girls who come with us are only 5ft 4, so they have accepted that they usually can’t see anything anyway, so at least they get a space to showcase their moves. We gave up being guilty for being tall, because like others have said, it’s big fields that anyone can stand in, and it’s our festival to enjoy  as much as anyone else’s

I’m 6ft7. If you ask to go on my shoulders you’ll probably get a whitty response about how I’m not a donkey etc. and you should have got here earlier. I’m unpopular enough as it is in a 3ft pee cup target on my shoulders.

If I do say yes, you should 100% turn it down, as the only way I’d say yes is because I’m properly smashed and can’t stand properly solo, it’s not going to end well for either of us. 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Bit upset about all this to be honest. I'm 6ft tall and male - so feel a bit excluded from the three threads. Being that I'm taller than average but not actually 'tall'. Where's the thread for me who are slightly taller than average?

I think you're in denial.

I am 6 foot 3. I am no threat to anyone to anyones enjoyment for a number of reasons. Since getting covered in piss at Knebworth 20 odd years ago I have always stayed near the back. I generally can't see my hand in front of my face anyway after a few scoops, so it does not matter where I stand. When you have killer dance moves as good as mine, you need room to bust them, therefore the front is no good to me.

• Like 1

The only thing that truly annoys me about tall people is when they turn up seconds before or during the set and plonk themselves into the non-existent space infront of me. That is inconsiderate. Apart from that, you can’t help being tall. We all pay the same money to enjoy the same gig. Don’t feel guilty if you haven’t been a knob about it. Everyone can move if they’re not happy x

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 7:24 AM, wingnut2711 said:

Wondering what all the fellow tall people do to ensure they don't ruin others enjoyment? I'm 6'2" and try to be as considerate as I can but always end up blocking someones view, I have no issue standing out the way when I'm on my own but when I'm with my group of friends which includes some vertically challenged people I also want to stay with them. Quite often I hear 'brilliant, that me not seeing a thing' and end up feeling guilty as the show goes on and slope away. I'm not someone who walks in front of people and will always fill up in one of the clear areas but as it starts to fill obviously end up with people behind. I'll often say 'if i'm in your way just move me to one side or give me a nudge and I'll move where I can' but that always ends up with me in front of someone else ?‍♂️

Reckon Shaq qualifies as tall. Don't reckon he gives a fuck

ЖTИ (@killthenoise) Tweeted:
Just walked into @tomorrowland and it’s at 10/10 @Modestep @SHAQ https://t.co/jqhRoLEdIQ

Edited by gherkin8r
  • Like 3

My view

if you’re short. You’re short. Suck it up.

I’m tall and I don’t care where I stand in the crowd. If you have a problem with me standing in front of you. You move. I don’t live to accommodate the silly needs of others :P 

Tall, small, fat, thin who gives a shit as long as you’re not rude or ignorant of those around you.  When someone tall stands in front of me, I’m 6ft 2 and it does happen, a polite tap on the shoulder and a point to the left indicating can you move a little usually works. 

Us tallies will shift a little if we’re in your way, all you have to do is ask. 

I go to gigs early to try and scope out a good spot so I can at least see through shoulders. I'm 5'2 so always leave with a sore neck from tippy toeing and that's fine. But it really irks me when someone rocks up just as the show is about to start and blocks my view like a huge body mountain. I'll normally tap politely and let them know I've made the effort to get in early to avoid this situation and would they mind if I got in front or move slightly to allow me to see. 

We've all paid to be there so it's just being considerate. If someone is there first then I work around them. 

I’m fairly short; about 5’ 9’’. Unless you’re 6’+ someone’s going to block your view. I just suck it up; often squeeze in near the front myself 20 mins before a gig starts so not going to get arsed if a tall fucker jumps in front of me. 

Such a great laugh 10 or so from the front for Liam this year. A small guy in his 50s pushes in front of me and opens up a folding hop-up. I got straight into him saying you’re  proper taking the piss mate, whilst flashing a massive grin. Soon became best mates and everyone around us got a go on the hop-up, especially the shorter girls. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2019 at 10:20 PM, Curlygirl said:

The only thing that truly annoys me about tall people is when they turn up seconds before or during the set and plonk themselves into the non-existent space infront of me. That is inconsiderate. Apart from that, you can’t help being tall. We all pay the same money to enjoy the same gig. Don’t feel guilty if you haven’t been a knob about it. Everyone can move if they’re not happy x

this is exactly what happened to me when waiting for foals to come on, id been there at least 45 minutes and someone decided to squeeze through the crowd and stop right in front of me into a gap that wasn't there! The only reason I let him in front is because I thought he was walking past to get to friends or something.  He stayed for about half an hour dancing about like an idiot with no consideration for anyone around him and then left, I have no problem with really tall people as most of my friends are however he was a total d*ck!