Us Tall People

wingnut2711

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’m 6’7 and tell any of these self entitled small c**ts that they’re in a massive field and could easily move themselves. Wherever I move I’ll be in someone’s way. They need to get over themselves.

If they could get over themselves they could stand on their own shoulders, little f*ckers

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Just be considerate dude. I'm 6' so not the worst offender, but I operate on these principles.

If I'm the one moving through the crowd to get a view, I don't then stop directly in front of someone shorter who already had a spot for themselves.

If someone short asks me to move so they can see, I'll at least offer to swap so they're in front. Note that this offer does not apply to passive aggressive tutting or huffing :)

Aside from that, not a lot you can do. Like all things it boils down to "don't be a dick" :D

I am 6' 3" and am aware of my height when at gigs etc. and abide very much by these principles too as well as if I am in a spot and someone shorter wants to stand behind me then they can't really complain.  I also try and see if there's any pillars or such like I can stand in front of.

On the last point I was on the receiving end of someone being an idiot the other week at a gig I went to at the O2 Academy in Leeds.

Me and my mates had decided to move to a different spot after finishing our drinks and found some space but I was conscious of this shorter lady being behind me so wanted to make sure I wasn't blocking her view so was about to turn round to check (after being stood in that position for a couple of seconds) that she could see but before a got a chance she punched me really hard and shouted "you can't stand there".  I did say to her I was checking and would have moved and she didn't need to hit me to which she replied it was only a nudge.  Like I said I wasn't planning on being inconsiderate but her reaction was a bit OTT.

At the end of the day, some people are taller than others, and I don't feel guilty for being taller. Sure it's useful for seeing things in a crowd, and yes unfortunately shorter people can't see over us, but we pay the price by being more prone to hitting our heads on ceiling beams and short door ways. I try to have as much consideration as I can, but there's no way you can never impact others.

The solution is for tall people to carry a small spade and on getting to their choosen spot dig a small hole to a depth that makes them 5’9". Some may think this is extreme but only fair in the spirit of true egalitarianism, it will need to make do until the manipulation of DNA allows us all to be the same size .

of course people shorter than 5’9" will be ale to carry an appropriate small step.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dondo said:

..before a got a chance she punched me really hard and shouted "you can't stand there".  

Short people can clearly be dicks too it seems!

Wow - some of the behaviour on display at festivals and gigs that gets discussed on these threads is unreal. Who are these people!?

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Chatterers can jump in the fuckin' bin.  Do my head in.

That's why I go to gigs alone, no-one tries taking to me! :lol:

Yes being short I accept I often won't be able to see but not being able to hear as well!!! At Glastonbury I just move away but sometimes at gigs it really irritates me because it's not always as easy to get away from them. I remember going to a John Grant gig in Liverpool where a woman spent the majority of time he was on stage talking about how much she liked him and how much she enjoyed the last time she'd seen him at a festival. She could have been enjoying him this time as well if she had just shut the fuck up!!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dondo said:

I am 6' 3" and am aware of my height when at gigs etc. and abide very much by these principles too as well as if I am in a spot and someone shorter wants to stand behind me then they can't really complain.  I also try and see if there's any pillars or such like I can stand in front of.

On the last point I was on the receiving end of someone being an idiot the other week at a gig I went to at the O2 Academy in Leeds.

Me and my mates had decided to move to a different spot after finishing our drinks and found some space but I was conscious of this shorter lady being behind me so wanted to make sure I wasn't blocking her view so was about to turn round to check (after being stood in that position for a couple of seconds) that she could see but before a got a chance she punched me really hard and shouted "you can't stand there".  I did say to her I was checking and would have moved and she didn't need to hit me to which she replied it was only a nudge.  Like I said I wasn't planning on being inconsiderate but her reaction was a bit OTT.

I'd have told her to get to fuck and give a decent apology or I'd be chatting to security. That entitled twattish behaviour boils my piss. Good restraint.

Edited by Quark

I'm 6'4" - for me it comes down to people being polite and friendly. If you ask me if you can go in front, I'm happy to move a bit further back to help you get a better view. If you stand there bitching/moaning, muttering that you're going to pour your drink over me or groping my arse to try and make me move (all things that have happened on multiple occasions though rarely at Glasto) then it's only going to make me stand up straighter and spend as much time as possible on tip-toes with both arms in the air. 

I tend to try and get my spot early and have a look behind me to make sure I’m not blocking people’s view.

At 6 foot 3 it’s likely that I’m going to be in somebody’s way, but the best you can do is be considerate. At the end of the day we’ve paid the same amount to be there, so shouldn’t have to stand at the back because of our vertical superiority. 

Much worse offenders at gigs if you ask me, drunk swaying/stumbling man, chatters, Gary Linekar crisp pun flag bearers, Kasabian fans....

• Upvote 1

I'm 6'2 with a 5'2 girlfriend so I have had as much experience of both sides as possible in that I want us both to have a good time.

You can't avoid being in peoples way or people being in yours. I do like to think there should be a bare minimum etiquette though, if we've shown up early so make sure my girlfriend can see as much of possible. Joey six foot barging through 2 songs in to stand directly in front of her is pretty rude. But I'll admit that's a personal gripe and there are no real rules.

There is a special place in hell for anyone who lights a cigarette in a dense crowd though.

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Much worse offenders at gigs if you ask me, drunk swaying/stumbling man, chatters, Gary Linekar crisp pun flag bearers, Kasabian fans....

The chair people...when it starts getting inappropriately busy for chairs I think it's our duty to stand in front of them :D

2 minutes ago, 1986 said:

There is a special place in hell for anyone who lights a cigarette in a dense crowd though.

So long as it's outdoors, I don't mind that tbh.  Just blow the smoke upwards and you're fine

41 minutes ago, GMF said:

The solution is for tall people to carry a small spade and on getting to their choosen spot dig a small hole to a depth that makes them 5’9". Some may think this is extreme but only fair in the spirit of true egalitarianism, it will need to make do until the manipulation of DNA allows us all to be the same size .

of course people shorter than 5’9" will be ale to carry an appropriate small step.

Or, invite Procrustes, he'd sort things out

56 minutes ago, Quark said:

Chatterers can jump in the fuckin' bin.  Do my head in.

That's why I go to gigs alone, no-one tries taking to me! :lol:

Can't remember where she nicked it from but my better half often takes some post-it notes and a black marker pen. Any chatterers get a post-it with "noise w*nker" tactically applied between their shoulder blades. Tends to work quite well. 

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

The chair people...when it starts getting inappropriately busy for chairs I think it's our duty to stand in front of them :D

So long as it's outdoors, I don't mind that tbh.  Just blow the smoke upwards and you're fine

The blanket brigade when you dare go close to them.

Sorry Brenda, did my foot encroach on your unnecessary blanket? 

Just now, nikkic said:

The blanket brigade when you dare go close to them.

Sorry Brenda, did my foot encroach on your unnecessary blanket? 

I include them with the chair people. Cut from the same cloth. It'd be like differentiating between two species of wasp when they're both fucking up my BBQ

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, GMF said:

Don't even have to dig that deep a hole, you can offer your diggings to a smaller person next to you.

Think most normal people can work out how to be in a crowd without being a dick wether its exchanging a we joke with your mates mid gig or being a bit tall, the laws of averages are against you when you get in a giant crowd though.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I include them with the chair people. Cut from the same cloth. It'd be like differentiating between two species of wasp when they're both fucking up my BBQ

Yeah chair people and Brenda with her blanket can get in the bin. With the wasps. 

I am 6`4" & am well aware that my height can make it difficult for shorter people behind. I always check behind & offer to swap places until the band is on. A few feet isnt going to make a lot of difference to me & could to someone shorter. Its always well received & some people are incredibly grateful. Once the bands are on I think its fair for me to stay put. It is Glastonbury after all.

Groups of people talking, now thats a far bigger problem t**ts