Us Tall People

wingnut2711

Hi Everyone,

4th time at the festival this year and cannot wait for this one, been an interesting two years since the last one so in desperate need to get to the fields!

Wondering what all the fellow tall people do to ensure they don't ruin others enjoyment? I'm 6'2" and try to be as considerate as I can but always end up blocking someones view, I have no issue standing out the way when I'm on my own but when I'm with my group of friends which includes some vertically challenged people I also want to stay with them. Quite often I hear 'brilliant, that me not seeing a thing' and end up feeling guilty as the show goes on and slope away. I'm not someone who walks in front of people and will always fill up in one of the clear areas but as it starts to fill obviously end up with people behind. I'll often say 'if i'm in your way just move me to one side or give me a nudge and I'll move where I can' but that always ends up with me in front of someone else ?‍♂️

This time I want to enjoy a guilt free festival without taking enjoyment from others, and input??

Marc

• Upvote 3

I'm a bit shorter at around 6ft but there is not much that really helps other than either letting short peeps go in front of you or I find going to the sides a little easier. I have a friend who is 6ft 7" and basically always stands directly in front of a fence/structure further back as has had enough of the moaning behind, which isn't fair on him in my opinion but is the only way to avoid it. Hopefully someone has a good suggestion!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’m 6’7 and tell any of these self entitled small c**ts that they’re in a massive field and could easily move themselves. Wherever I move I’ll be in someone’s way. They need to get over themselves.

I get what you're saying and I tend not to worry around the large stages it's more John Peel, Avalon, Acoustic etc where it is confined and flat. 

3 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Get a T-shirt which says 

At least I’ve not got a massive hat or flag in your way

printed on the back

Good idea! Never really thought about tall person guilt before. I think a t shirt with something on the back could help with some of the moaning maybe. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ashl said:

I'm a bit shorter at around 6ft but there is not much that really helps other than either letting short peeps go in front of you or I find going to the sides a little easier. I have a friend who is 6ft 7" and basically always stands directly in front of a fence/structure further back as has had enough of the moaning behind, which isn't fair on him in my opinion but is the only way to avoid it. Hopefully someone has a good suggestion!

I have tried that but they are generally in large groups too which then causes our shorties issues ?, in fairness our group just gets on with it or moves, plus once everyone is getting into the gig and are not just standing still the atmosphere is more important.

As a short person, its unavoidable unfortunately. The only time I say something is when someone asks to get by me and then stands directly in front of me. Literally everyone at the fesival can see over my head, but if you stand directly in front of me I cant even see screens. I think as long as you dont do that it's good. 

You're tall, I'm short, nothing we can do about it, just dont be tall AND wear a wide brimmed hat. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Get a T-shirt which says 

At least I’ve not got a massive hat or flag in your way

printed on the back

Genius! My second year I did have a t-shirt made by my mates that had 'meeting place' on it as I was the only one they could all see.

• Upvote 2

I'm around 6'4 and will be there with my slightly shorter brother. I think it's fair to say I won't really care!  (Whilst being considerate) ?
I put in the hard work eating sausages and alpha bites when I was young. This is my reward!

Edited by SecretFish
clearer opinion
  • Upvote 1

The worst is when short girls stand behind you and complain then ask to get on top of your shoulders “yeah fuck it let’s make it even worse for folks behind us”. I’m 6’2 and hate being in the way and try to be considerate, when a taller person is in front of me I just suck it up. 

Just be considerate dude. I'm 6' so not the worst offender, but I operate on these principles.

If I'm the one moving through the crowd to get a view, I don't then stop directly in front of someone shorter who already had a spot for themselves.

If someone short asks me to move so they can see, I'll at least offer to swap so they're in front. Note that this offer does not apply to passive aggressive tutting or huffing :)

If appropriate and non creepy, I've been known to offer a shoulder view.

Aside from that, not a lot you can do. Like all things it boils down to "don't be a dick" :D

EDIT: As called out by @HeyPorter any shoulder sitting must also be appropriate, and limited to a single track or similr

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 2

I am not a tall person and my views on those who are:

1. A gap in the crowd is open to anyone. I accept that anyone can turn up and stand in a gap at any point and it is possible they might be taller than me.  If you are worried about someone taller standing in the gap, move into it yourself.  Leave it open, it is for the taking. Them's the rules.  

2. Definitely do not feel uncomfortable about shorter people turning up after you.  You are already there, you cannot control who stands behind you. Try not to worry about that. You cant keep moving because of people arriving kater than you.

3. If you are a late comer, navigating through an already busy crowd, do not stop directly in front of someone shorter than you.  This goes for all of us.  It is very annoying when you get into a good spot and then just as the band starts, someone starts pushing in and stops directly in front of you making it too late for you to move without doing the same thing to someone else.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just be considerate dude. I'm 6' so not the worst offender, but I operate on these principles.

If I'm the one moving through the crowd to get a view, I don't then stop directly in front of someone shorter who already had a spot for themselves.

If someone short asks me to move so they can see, I'll at least offer to swap so they're in front. Note that this offer does not apply to passive aggressive tutting or huffing :)

If appropriate and non creepy, I've been known to offer a shoulder view.

Aside from that, not a lot you can do. Like all things it boils down to "don't be a dick" :D

EDIT: As called out by @HeyPorter any shoulder sitting must also be appropriate, and limited to a single track or similr

I did it once in Reading years ago and felt awkward as hell, bit younger than me and then I had the fear the missus would somehow spot it in the highlights and rain fire on me for being a considerate gent. Happened again a couple years back and I politely refused and tried to get her and her group in front of me for Eminem at Leeds. 

Just now, HeyPorter said:

I did it once in Reading years ago and felt awkward as hell, bit younger than me and then I had the fear the missus would somehow spot it in the highlights and rain fire on me for being a considerate gent. Happened again a couple years back and I politely refused and tried to get her and her group in front of me for Eminem at Leeds. 

Mine was benicassim in 17 watching RHCP. Quite a ways back from anywhere near the front so plenty of space, but one of this group of lasses next to us was about 5' and stood no chance! Left them to it for the most part, but they played one track and they all went nuts (it was their group's song kind of thing) and this girl was pogoing just trying to get a glimpse of the stage, so I offered a boost for that track. Happy as Larry, popped her back down after the song and that was that :)

54 minutes ago, wingnut2711 said:

Wondering what all the fellow tall people do to ensure they don't ruin others enjoyment? I

Well aren't you a sweetie for worrying about such things? Although, it makes me a bit sad that there must have been a lot of people complaining to you for you to become so hyper-aware of it!

My two cents is: Sure, you're a little on the tall side, but it's all relative isn't it? I have a friend coming this year who is 5ft 1. She's obviously not going to be telling everyone in front of her that they're too tall and can they kindly move please, or she wouldn't have time to do anything else. I suspect that, rather like @MetaKate, she is also used to it by now. You're probably only being told to move out of the way by people of average height or over. Plenty of taller people have stood in front of me at gigs (I'm 5 ft 10), it's just all part of the craic.

I say, think yourself lucky, get yourself a beer and have a grand old time :) 

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Mine was benicassim in 17 watching RHCP. Quite a ways back from anywhere near the front so plenty of space, but one of this group of lasses next to us was about 5' and stood no chance! Left them to it for the most part, but they played one track and they all went nuts (it was their group's song kind of thing) and this girl was pogoing just trying to get a glimpse of the stage, so I offered a boost for that track. Happy as Larry, popped her back down after the song and that was that :)

The very short friend I refer to in the above post is obsessed with Kylie....my other very tall female friend and I have been worrying about her not being able to see shit in the crowd, regardless of how early we get there. Maybe some kind soul in the crowd will take pity on her. Or....maybe I could give it a go??? I would be a little worried about injuring us both though, as well as others in the proximity 

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

The very short friend I refer to in the above post is obsessed with Kylie....my other very tall female friend and I have been worrying about her not being able to see shit in the crowd, regardless of how early we get there. Maybe some kind soul in the crowd will take pity on her. Or....maybe I could give it a go??? I would be a little worried about injuring us both though, as well as others in the proximity 

If it's not something you're used to doing, practice first!! Where I do a lot of squat work in the gym it's pretty straightforward for me to get down that low and then drive back up again without losing balance or fucking my back up, but if it's not a movement you're used to doing with weight, it's a bit trickier I guess.

And once you've got that right, start practicing doing it when you're spangled :lol:

Just now, Quark said:

And once you've got that right, start practicing doing it when you're spangled :lol:

**checks watch** I'm fairly sure there isn't time for that! 

I was about to suggest staying sober on the Sunday until Kylie's on, but it's Sunday, so even if I do, the four days will have massively taken their toll by then. I usually need beers by the Sunday to keep me going!