Happy St. George day

guypjfreak

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Still not really sure what the significance of St George's Day is, tbh. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think he was crucified and then rose from the dead a few days later, bearing chocolate eggs as gifts 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Still not really sure what the significance of St George's Day is, tbh. Can anyone enlighten me?

Celebrating the day that a guy called George slayed a dragon....I think.....?

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

(I really could Google this) So St George was not a fictional character?

The temptation to use a passive aggressive Let Me Google That For You link is strong right now :lol:

He was not as far as I am aware, but like most Saints and other semi-mythological figures the story has been changed over time.  Adopted as the patron saint of England during the crusades I think. 

Just now, uscore said:

If you are bored, it's always fun to pop over to a forum or comments section, say the Daily Mail, and suggest that maybe St Georges Day should be cancelled out of sensitivity to foreigners and/or different religions.

Is it you that's been winding my father in law up?  Bastard!

1 minute ago, Quark said:

The temptation to use a passive aggressive Let Me Google That For You link is strong right now :lol:

He was not as far as I am aware, but like most Saints and other semi-mythological figures the story has been changed over time.  Adopted as the patron saint of England during the crusades I think. 

I was already being pass-agg with myself! Nice summary though, much appreciated. Consider me enlightened.

18 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

*** GAME OF THRONES SPOILER ***

If we could turn it into a game of thrones day then by next year it would definitely be a bank holiday.. 

Not sure if that made sense lol

13 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

(I really could Google this) So St George was not a fictional character?

I like that you just accept the dragon was real but have questions regarding whether George himself was?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yes, let's all be nationalistic about a Turk. :P 

Well, there is a difference between culturalism and nationalism right?  If SGD is used as a celebration of cultural things rather than a stick to beat foreigners with about how much better we are then everyone else, I'm happy with it.

Admittedly the chances of that are diminishing in current climate, but all the more reason to celebrate the good parts?