Would you leave your job if they did not allow you to go to Glastonbury?

reallife

No I wouldn;t but then I'm lucky and never been in that situation thankfully and my boss has the correct notion that noone is indispensable and every has a right to the leave they want, and I'm flexible back.  If I had a job I didn;t like or hadn;t been on long or no mortgage to consider then I think the decison would be different

Not a chance.  I love Glastonbury, the people, the music, the food, the ethos.  it's one of my favourite things, and I actively look forward to it more than pretty much anything else. The fact I look forward to it more than our holidays is a constant source of irritation to Mrs Q.

But it doesn't pay my mortgage.

A previous employer got taken over and new company changed the year end date to end of June.  They then wanted nobody to take leave in June so that we were all billing up to the last minute to make the figures look as good as possible.  Since my holiday had been pre-booked for many months there was a grudging "ok you can take it this time" attitude, but made clear that in future June holidays would be a no-no.  I quit a few months later and it was definitely a factor.  

21 hours ago, Sku said:

If you're at least half respectable employee, then a simple "Give me the time off, or I will be forced to leave my job", should provoke the desired outcome. Actually making clear that you are dead serious that you are willing to leave your job over the matter, should be enough to convince all but the hardiest of managers to grant your leave.

Of course, doesn't work if they wanted to get rid of you anyway.

As someone who works in management I'd advise being cautious with using this approach, once had an employee try this and didn't end well for him. An employer will always know relenting on a threat sets a dangerous precedent for themselves

I've been really fortunate in that I've always managed to sort out getting leave approved.  It did help that I was the deputy manager of the service I was in and managed the rota and annual leave so it was never at risk.  

These days I'm office based so it's even less of an issue, though because I'm not doing 14 hour shifts anymore, my annual leave does not go as far.

The only time it was ever an issue was when I was working for my dad and I had failed to get my holiday request in before another member of staff got theirs in. I made it very clear that I was going to glastonbury and given that I was on a zero hours contract, there was nothing (from a HR perspective) that they could do about it.

I don't think that conversation would have gone as well if we weren't related.

Genuinely not sure. I'm single. childless, doing a job I don't really care about but which funds a lifestyle I enjoy, and I have a decent amount of savings so I could. That being said, I did move about and switch jobs pretty regularly when I was younger and I have enjoyed the stability. Thing is, as long as my boss stays, it's not really an issue. It's just known I'm off the last weekend in June. It's practically part of the official year planner. If it's a couple of weeks into the new holiday year and I haven't formally asked, then they'll ask me

After coming back one year, the deputy manager mentioned that him and his girlfriend (who worked at our place) quite fancied it next year and jokingly said that all 3 of us might not be able to be off at the same time. I replied, half jokingly, half not, that we'd all, me included, find out how much the job meant to me if that came about. They didn't go and it's not been mentioned since

• Upvote 1

I’ve been self employed for years so can choose when I want time off but recently I took on a PAYE job and my manager was unhappy about the amount of time I wanted off over the summer, which included time off for Glastonbury, I decided that working there would only cause problems in the future so I quit.

Charm x