Would you leave your job if they did not allow you to go to Glastonbury?

reallife

It's an interesting question. I'm not going to Glastonbury this year, and also not working for an employer, so it's all a little academic.

The above said, when I did work for the same employer for 28 years, I'd never have allowed them to not let me go to Glastonbury, if that was my wish. 

The above company once had my line manager pull me in for absence. He went all secretive, and said something along the lines of 'It's not me. It's the top Brass. They're asking questions about you now'. 

I then thanked my boss and walked out of his office. I finished the days work that day, and went home. I didn't go in to work the next day, nor the day after. I simply thought 'Fuck Em'. 

Guess what? Nothing happened to me from them. I'd called their bluff.

I guess in a roundabout way, I'm saying that this would be about the same approach as I would take;

Image result for brown bottle + viz

Yes, and my current boss knows this - I work for a small company and always book the holiday on Jan 2nd. My boss always jokes and says 'no' and I mention I can get another job but I can never go to that years festival again, going OK so far :)

At a previous job a few others in my team also had that time off before I could book, so I did hand in my notice (call centre stuff) but my boss at the time let it ride - it was back in the 90s when I'd go Friday morning.

I've also changed jobs at the start of June and had to mention in the interview that I have 'pre booked holiday' and thats gone OK too so far :)

I'm a doctor and last year I had to decide what kind of Medical Residency Program I would follow: Psychiatrics or Radiology.
Choosing Psychiatrics (first choice), my vacations for the next 3 years could only happen on january (2021,2022,2023).
If I had decided to do Radiology instead, I could take my vacations when I want.
Decisions...decisons...?

Glastonbury 2019 here I go!

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, douglasmanso said:

I'm a doctor and last year I had to decide what kind of Medical Residency Program I would follow: Psychiatrics or Radiology.
Choosing Psychiatrics (first choice), my vacations for the next 3 years could only happen on january (2021,2022,2023).
If I had decided to do Radiology instead, I could take my vacations when I want.
Decisions...decisons...?

Glastonbury 2019 here I go!

Bravo.

That is definitely beyond the call of duty.

I wish you the happiest of times at Glastonbury this year. 

I also wish you all the best on your Radiology course!

Yes. 

Honestly, no job is worth missing Glastonbury to me, but i'm single and childless. 

I think getting tickets in October theres really no good excuse for an employer to tell you no. 

I come over from Canada so I'd need 6 vacation  or unpaid days, minimum. This year I've really taken my chunk because of the 100hrs of unpaid overtime I worked last month. I'll be gone 3 weeks in total. 

I'm definitely the type of person who is willing to get paid less to work a job where theres some flexibility. I've only been at this one a year and half but i'm already looking for something new (it may be related to the 100 hrs of unpaid overtime). 

For me this is always potentially an issue. Firstly I live in Australia so taking time off for Glastonbury involves a much longer period (I also spend time with family during that time so it ends up being a good 2-3 weeks annual leave). Secondly, I work in the migration industry and the official year starts in July and ends in June so I’m actually away during quite a crucial period for my work. I try and get around this by booking soon after I’ve secured a ticket and haven’t had any problems so far. 

If they refused, I wouldn’t quit my job to go. I’m not financially independent and losing it would be disastrous for me. I would stand my ground and fight my corner though. 

Edited by kalifire

I also just realized this is the first Glastonbury (my 3rd) that I haven't quit my job for technically.... 2016 I did a month in Europe before and after..  2017 I quit, did Croatia, Glastonbury, then had to be in 2 friends weddings, spaced 2 weeks apart, and would have needed the better part of 6 weeks off. 

It's funny because those years I saved so much because I knew I had to... and this year I do not have a dime to me name!

I worked for the same company for a huge part of my life so it would have been insane to quit, much to do with losing a good pension deal. Luckily I never had an issue getting days off. However one year I was running out of holidays so I had to work the Monday after the festival, thinking I could plan an easy day which I’d got away with before. This time a total disaster, I first had to drive to Norwich for a meeting with a big customer, left about 5am and grabbed a quick wash and shave at a service station, put a suit on still hiding some mud, then my boss thought it was funny to tell me I had to attend a meeting running late into the evening  at our hq in the West Midlands. Drove 430 miles that day. Everyone took the piss all night at how ill I looked. I could have quit then...

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

as far as 'general society' was concerned only drug-taking smelling hippies went to Glastonbury.

That seems mad to me because my missis Mam and Dad went separately in the 80’s. Her ald man is a mechanic from Lancashire who’s never smoked and hardly ever drinks. 

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

That seems mad to me because my missis Mam and Dad went separately in the 80’s. Her ald man is a mechanic from Lancashire who’s never smoked and hardly ever drinks. 

the only thing people who didn't go would know about it was what they saw on TV news - which would invariably be linked to new age travellers, stonehenge, mud, etc.

I was working in a govt establishment and had my security pass pulled for going. No security pass = no job. Plenty of mates also lost jobs around the same time, one of whom was a kitchen fitter: "I don't want anyone who goes there working for me. You're fired". Etc, etc, etc.

I probably wouldn't quit my job over it if I had one as I would not be able to pay my mortgage. But I would likely start looking for another one. I've never had an issue getting the time off though and am freelance now so I get to decide this kind of thing for myself, which is a wonderful benefit. I just don't book work during that period.

In my last proper job I tried to book one day off in July as I had a hen do to go to for one of my best friends. This was in January and I got refused. It was 2016 but if Glastonbury was on that year I probably wouldn't have been allowed the time off. Don't know what I would have done. Thankfully I got made redundant two months later (hated the job and had been a mistake to take it) which meant I could go to the hen do and gave me the push to go freelance. Never looked back.

Edit to say: I know Glastonbury was on that year but I was ticketless and resigned to not going by this point.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

The jobs I've had yes!! I've never had a job that I love and found totally fulfilling though. If my dream job was in education or something like that where I know that it would mean not being able to have time off in June then I suppose I'd have to live with a shortened fix. 

With most other jobs you could probably find an alternative company to work for. I've always put my Glastonbury holidays in before I've even got the tickets and as it isn't school holidays I've never had a problem anywhere I've worked. 

One of the joys of running my own company is that I can pretty much do what I want within reason. 

A bloke that works for me has a ticket this year and i have just asked him if I said he couldn't have the time off what would he do. His reply was you can stick your job up your ass nothings getting in the way of me and Miley!

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, dccool said:

One of the joys of running my own company is that I can pretty much do what I want within reason. 

A bloke that works for me has a ticket this year and i have just asked him if I said he couldn't have the time off what would he do. His reply was you can stick your job up your ass nothings getting in the way of me and Miley!

I've ran out of up votes. 

I’m freelance, so i finish work for the Summer and fly back to the UK on June 23rd, then start work again mid September. Glastonbury marks the start of my summer holiday and my return home. Great way to begin. Means i have to prep for almost 3 months without any money coming in, but fuck it, it’s all good.

I would indeed either quit or do a sticky in order to go. No way I'd be giving up my tickets. 

Not quite the same thing but I once phoned in sick from Madrid Airport and took 3 days off sick  as I was over to watch Liverpool play Real Madrid. Went back to work with a decent wee tan too. 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the only thing people who didn't go would know about it was what they saw on TV news - which would invariably be linked to new age travellers, stonehenge, mud, etc.

I was working in a govt establishment and had my security pass pulled for going. No security pass = no job. Plenty of mates also lost jobs around the same time, one of whom was a kitchen fitter: "I don't want anyone who goes there working for me. You're fired". Etc, etc, etc.

People really were proper dickheads in the 70’s and 80’s weren’t they! Unbelievable. 

Sort of happened a few years ago in my old job. Manager signed off too many people for the same week and then had to try get someone to cancel. I had mine booked from the previous October. I gave her the Partridge shrug when she told me she had signed off on too many holidays.

"So this is a bit sensitive, but were really down on headcount that week".

giphy.gif

I think it is clearly very difficult to be able to quit a job over it. I resigned three years ago as I could not have the time off. I think it was helped that I am a social worker as there is plenty of work. I transferred to a different team in the end.