Map- 1995 vs 2019

sedra

1995 was my favourite year. Combination of my age at the time, just graduated, the mid-Britpop music of the time, better prepared than the previous year etc just made it all come together for me.

I think it was around 80,000 officially, maybe 90,000. Actual numbers onsite is anyone's guess as the fence up behind King Meadow was down early and peeps were just strolling in in the end.

Used to camp next to the now cut down Elm Tree mid-Big Ground from 1994 to 2005, then in 2007 I migrated to Dragon's Field until 2011 when it became exclusively (or rather enforced) Crew Camping. T'was a noisy area that what with Arcadia and rest of late LV and early SL just over the hedge, but there was a strange tranquility about that field I will always remember nonetheless...

1 hour ago, ceetee said:

I love looking at the old maps. Anyone got any older ones? 

red dot was the gate { a guy in what I would call a garden shed } - at the time people could buy tickets on the spot - £5 for a weekend ticket.

Blue dot is where we camped beside our cars and a Camper van and 40 years later I will be back again although it will take a lot longer to get in even although my Crew Coach arrives on the Tuesday.

e3n.thumb.jpg.afb25a22cff5d5ba9e3a1cc553f2e227.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

If any year is to get the label, 1995 is the year Glastonbury Festival changed from being a beautiful thing into being a mainstream nightmare, where the w*nkers flooded it (no offence pinhead :P ).

It's not as good as it used to be. :P 

None taken :D

I only had my first attendance 1994 to compare it to before hand, though the original Glastonbury Movie filmed around 1992-1993 I think shows it for me at least as being somehow a lot more about the regulars coming together and being there for the festival rather than focussing on what the festival can give back to them.

Each generation co-opts it and makes it their own I guess...

it sure has grown

my first was 2004 and I remember we camped up against the fence and now that is where the park is , now we still camp against the fence but it is now an extra 15 minute walk... longer depending on  level of spangled

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

If any year is to get the label, 1995 is the year Glastonbury Festival changed from being a beautiful thing into being a mainstream nightmare, where the w*nkers flooded it (no offence pinhead :P ).

Hello ... *waves* .... first year '95 and not missed one since.?‍♂️

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

red dot was the gate { a guy in what I would call a garden shed } - at the time people could buy tickets on the spot - £5 for a weekend ticket.

Blue dot is where we camped beside our cars and a Camper van and 40 years later I will be back again although it will take a lot longer to get in even although my Crew Coach arrives on the Tuesday.

Wow thanks for sharing

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Been meaning to ask GW - are you actually just Michael Eavis coming on here for shits and giggles? :D

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Makes sense. I saw it on Channel 4 in 1994 (first year it was televised?) and decided I was going the next year. Not saying I'm a w*nker (not for me to say) and I was aware of it before then, just not sure I would have thought of going without that

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Been meaning to ask GW - are you actually just Michael Eavis coming on here for shits and giggles? :D

Very funny but I would doubt that Michael would have time to mess about with a PC { or Smartphone } but I do know Michael Eavis and was good friends with his wife Jean who sadly died in 1999 although I have never met Emily.

I am still amazed that Glastonbury is still going as I know they lost money in 1979 hence why there was no event in 1980.

The turning point was 1981 when he was able to get CND involved as they spread the word out to all points of the UK and made buying tickets a simple process. (£8 in 1981/1982}

I lived in London and I know very few people were even aware there was a festival at Pilton { which did not appear on any UK car map } 

sadly cant find any wristbands for 1979 - 1981 - 1982 but I do have the tickets.

A shot of four of us either 1982 or 1983 -  and yes it was 4 adults - the boot full of bevy and I was able to drive down and drive back { as no one else had a driving licence }

38917_o.thumb.jpg.f344562910ee082463014ff835217487.jpg64_o.thumb.jpg.d7d0d65806256ad6177408906ddf3b22.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 4/22/2019 at 8:23 AM, t0paz said:

I miss sleeping near the cinema! Nothing like a bit of Pulp Fiction in the background to drift off too.

I miss sleeping in various tents after they closed, which was late and is what we used to do in the mid-eighties, no ticket, no tent became a mantra, nice coir mats in some of those tents, very comfy. Short sleeps. Another time and place.

Glastonbury-84-site-map.jpg

4 hours ago, bamber said:

I miss sleeping in various tents after they closed, which was late and is what we used to do in the mid-eighties, no ticket, no tent became a mantra, nice coir mats in some of those tents, very comfy. Short sleeps. Another time and place.

Glastonbury-84-site-map.jpg

Love the authenticity of the festival growing from small beginnings.

Appears to be just 3 music stages in 1984, so did the Marquee Stage remain and just have a name change? (Can’t quite work it out on the map where it is).

Edited by Avalon_Fields

95 was my first year, followed by a long break.  I worked for Oxfam on the gate, so camped in their area (think the refunded ticket cost was about 65 quid? I remember being horrified writing the cheque). Anyway, I ended up tying a t-shirt onto my head during my daytime shift as my head was burning horribly... also that year we had UV ink stamps on people's hands and had to check them under a hood with a UV light.  Loads  of them were rubbing off with sweat etc.... every time someone kicked off, I just advised them to go a 100m up the hill, where there was a massive hole in the fence.  The crowds were pretty grim and I remember very little apart from the dust and seeing the Cure.  Its the only other time I have seen them, so  looking forward to a repeat this year.

my scalp peeled a few days later... totally minging