Map- 1995 vs 2019

sedra

It is Robert Smith’s 60th today and i was trying to remember if I had actually seen The Cure when they headlined in 1995 . So I got out the 95 programme to see what else was on and found the 95 map! It’s amazing how much has been added on since then !! 

14DB5FA9-6F12-482E-BFA7-807B9F9E9236.jpeg

BD07B44F-A61D-41BA-8563-208253E2D05C.png

• Upvote 10

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Wow it has expanded. I assume Williams Fields is now William's Green which gives some kind of idea of how much expansion there has been. 

I'd say Williams fields would be the closest section of campervan east to gate C these days

37 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Wow it has expanded. I assume Williams Fields is now William's Green which gives some kind of idea of how much expansion there has been. 

No - that part of the site hasn't changed much, and Gate 3 / Gate C is in virtually the same location on both maps. "Williams' Fields" on that map would now be the Campervan fields, E20-E24.

The name has been (re)used a few times over the years. One of the old camping fields in the South West Corner, marked F94 on the 1995 map, is/was also called "Williams Greenfield".

I was there in 95. I like that although the site has expanded, a lot of it has remained the same. Every time I go back it feels like home. Just with an added extension to the side of the house and garden.

13 hours ago, gigpusher said:

The current William's Green is next to where the meeting point is shown on the 95 map.

Anyone know when the West Holts camping was taken away? I think I remember it being there in 98, 99 & 00.

Edited by Johnnyseven

5 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

The current William's Green is next to where the meeting point is shown on the 95 map.

Anyone know when the West Holts camping was taken away? I think I remember it being there in 98, 99 & 00.

About 2010 it changed to crew camping, I think.

13 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I bet camping in the West Holts area was busy!!

I'd forgotten that used to be a camping option! Think people used to say it was noisy (although excellent location-wise).

One of the most popular spots before it became crewcamping was the Dragon's field (between Stone Circle and SE corner), I never camped there as it always looked like a steep slope, but I seem to remember reading about people making a dash for there as soon as the gates opened (back when most people didn't arrive until much later in the day, or even until the Thursday)

13 hours ago, incident said:

No - that part of the site hasn't changed much, and Gate 3 / Gate C is in virtually the same location on both maps. "Williams' Fields" on that map would now be the Campervan fields, E20-E24.

The name has been (re)used a few times over the years. One of the old camping fields in the South West Corner, marked F94 on the 1995 map, is/was also called "Williams Greenfield".

Ah not so bad then when I saw the fields called Williams Fields I assumed each area had grown that much as well. 

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

What time did the official music go on until back then? Was there stuff through the night? 

Well the headliners on Friday ( Oasis) and Saturday (pulp as a stand for the Stone Roses) started a lot later at 10.45pm and The Cure on Sunday at 10pm. And some of the other stages and areas went a bit later but nothing like it is now.

I think we camped around Hawkwell/Home Ground/Row Mead area in '95 (and also from 92 -).  It was eay in those days to pop out to your car as it was just outside the fence, and didn't take long to stock up on supplies.  I think we were always in F40 area.  Just look ing at the map brings back memories or stopping off at the cinema on the way back to the tents.  I'll try to dig out my old photos and see if there are any worth sharing.

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Thanks for posting this @sedra, love looking at the old maps.

I've made a pretty poor effort of combining the 2 using an ap on my phone but you get the idea.

IMG_20190422_122233_0.thumb.jpg.037cd9f8ee526ab7aba5075fdb0cc092.jpg

That's pretty good actually.  Lost a bit of resolution, but you lined it up well. 

Edited by HotChipWillBreakYourLegs