Boots or Wellies Poll

Tranquility of Solitude

Boots or Wellies?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Weather Thread can’t decide, so to settle matters...when muddy, boots or wellies?

• Boots
    • Wellies

10 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Thread can’t last forever, so In terms of the poll, it’s a comfortable win for boots..... which I fully agree with. 

I refuse to believe the poll numbers! Can only conclude russian bots have been at work- shame on you walking booters!

Been going to festivals for 10+ years and have never worn hiking boots. I buy expensive wellies that I also use for sailing. They're comfy and have good grip / ankle support etc. In the last 15 years I've gone through 2 pairs which is pretty good going I think. Hiking boots are heavy and a good pair costs 100 quid and id never use them. Are they really that much better than wellies? I feel like if theres a lot of standing water or 2016 like conditions my socks would get wet and muddy.

Speaking as someone who spends a lot of time in walking boots and that in and around peat bogs (though I do own a decent pair of neoprene wellies - I can even wear them barefoot so can just nip the dog out when it’s raining) the boot thing is the only one that works for me. Mud is rarely deep enough to get over the top, if it is, go round it or move quickly so displacement gets you clear. 

2016, never got stuck, never fell over, bit of mud on legs (shorts all weekend as well) but that comes off. Did see plenty stranded in wellies, or without when they got pulled off. Had the same at other muddy festivals as well.

10 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Any significant rain makes Wellies the only option. 

I found the most comfortable wellies ever £5 at a Charity shop in Glastonbury town in 2014 and they have been with me ever since.

Stood up to the deluge 2016....and did nothing whatsoever in 2017.

Not true. I was there in 2005 and 2007 (as well as 2016 and 2017) - years that make your years look like a desert and boots with gaiters were perfect, even with calf high water, which would slosh into wellies.

16 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Hiking boots are heavy and a good pair costs 100 quid and id never use them. 

Yeah this to be honest. My wellies cost a fiver and I never go hiking so why the hell would I splash out? Also I would have to spend a lot of time wearing them in (I do with all shoes, except my wonderful wellies).

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah this to be honest. My wellies cost a fiver and I never go hiking so why the hell would I splash out? Also I would have to spend a lot of time wearing them in (I do with all shoes, except my wonderful wellies).

This point is possibly true with the exception of wearing them in. I honestly think with walking boots if they are not comfy when you try them on in the shop they won't become comfy. The key for me is to buy ones that have padded heels as that is the area that tends to hurt the most. 

I walk my dogs in the countryside all year round in all weathers so my walking boots are always well worn although I have bought cheapish pairs of walking boots/shoes that have lasted a year and only cost £25-30 so they don't have to be mega expensive particulrarly if you pair them with seal skinz socks. 

18 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Taken 2am Monday morning in 2016. Walked 15k that day. Can even wash them off under the tap. 

2zp62id.jpg

Conclusive proof that boot wearers are mud-laden savages.

The beauty of wellies are that they are self-cleaning- the mud dries, turns to dust and blows off them, leaving the wearer looking radiant from the knee down

Edited by Mr.Tease

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

The beauty of wellies are that they are self-cleaning- the mud dries, turns to dust and blows off them, leaving the wearer looking radiant from the knee down

Yeah they make my feet and back sore though if I walk 15k a day in them. 

And there was no dust in 2016! 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

If they haven't tipped over face-down in the mud with their wellies left stuck 6 feet away.

Trousers round their ankles probably too.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

This point is possibly true with the exception of wearing them in. I honestly think with walking boots if they are not comfy when you try them on in the shop they won't become comfy. The key for me is to buy ones that have padded heels as that is the area that tends to hurt the most. 

I walk my dogs in the countryside all year round in all weathers so my walking boots are always well worn although I have bought cheapish pairs of walking boots/shoes that have lasted a year and only cost £25-30 so they don't have to be mega expensive particulrarly if you pair them with seal skinz socks. 

Dunno, pretty much every shoe I ever wear has to go through a few weeks of pain/blisters to begin with. Even shoes I've worn in previously and come back to for a new season. My feet are ridiculous, yet wellies slip on like a comfortable glove and never cause me any issues. 

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Dunno, pretty much every shoe I ever wear has to go through a few weeks of pain/blisters to begin with. Even shoes I've worn in previously and come back to for a new season. My feet are ridiculous, yet wellies slip on like a comfortable glove and never cause me any issues. 

Going out shoes and some types of trainers I have to wear in a little but my experience with all my walking boots and shoes have been they have either been comfortable from day 1 or they have always caused me problems. Some have gotten a little better over time but one pair I bought just never ever became comfortable. When I go now to get a new pair I make sure they are already pretty comfortable. As I say padded heels tend to be the answer and that bit takes a bloody long time to soften. 

As for wellies I have wide feet and legs like tree trunks. Think I've only found one pair I could actually wear and they killed within minutes. I'm sure if I was willing to spend £70-80 maybe I'd find some that were ok but I just don't think they are meant to be worn all day like walking boots are and as Glastonbury can be wet but seldom very cold I don't think I'd want something covering my legs all day. 

Mind you we are all different and so different things suit us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with boots. One year I remember the weather being poor from Wednesday onwards and I spent most of the festival in wellies. It absolutely killed my feet. By Sunday it dried up enough to wear trainers and it felt amazing.

I have lost my walking boots and I am looking to get a new pair. I am thinking leather boots to ensure they are waterproof. I imagine the fabric ones with mesh are not actually that waterproof?