Boots or Wellies Poll

Tranquility of Solitude

Boots or Wellies?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Weather Thread can’t decide, so to settle matters...when muddy, boots or wellies?

• Boots
    • Wellies

I need to get new footwear this year, and this thread has been zero help ?

2008 - 2013 I had dunlop wellies, each one weighed about a stone, and that was before each of them formed a six inch thick halo of mud that I also had to lug round with me when I walked. Feet were dry, but they were hard work, dancing was limited to a little dad shuffle, and on top of that they used to Epilady the hair off my shins. 

I felt like crying every time I had to put them on.

In 2015 I bought some walking boots, they kept my feet dry and were lighter, but my feet used to hurt the longer I wore them. In 2016 got a serious case of Glastotoe, both big toes were numb for a good 2 months afterwards. They felt absolutely fine trying them on in the shop, and even the first couple of days wearing them, but just started hurting more the longer it went on and by Sunday of 2016 they were killing me.

I felt like crying every time I had to put them on.

2017 I lived the dream by wearing trainers all weekend.

I want to get something sorted this week, but I haven't got a clue what to get.

I've got a pair of decent, well maintained leather walking boots that I wear every year regardless of the weather, I add gaters if its pissing it down.

Never let me down in the years I've been wearing them.

Wellies only work if your into discomfort, sweaty feet and blisters.

I had boots the whole time in 2016 and they were fine, when i was sober i was trying my best to avoid the worst of it. Other times when i was smashed i was just marching through it all and my feet never got wet, although i couldn't feel the end of my big toes for about 6 months after!

Ideally it'll be trainers weather though.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is after a budget pair of boots, I have just had these boots delivered https://www.amazon.co.uk/Regatta-Holcombe-Hiking-Boots-Granite/dp/B07DFVX8JV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=holcombe%2Bmid%2Bmen&qid=1559392190&s=shoes&sr=1-1&th=1&psc=1

Only £35 and fit nicely. Suppose to be waterproof but haven't tested as delivered on the hottest day of the year so far!

Have I left it too late to buy new boots and break them in?

I've just entered panic mode. Just realised I don't really have any comfortable/suitable trainers that would last the duration. Don't want to wear wellies this year, and trainers normally give me blisters after a while, so considering boots for the first time although conscious I don't have long to break them in. Plus does price directly correlate to waterproof and comfort levels? I don't want to spend a fortune on boots I'll wear for one weekend a year and the odd hike up Pen Y Fan/Snowdon once every two years.