Boots or Wellies Poll

Tranquility of Solitude

Boots or Wellies?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Weather Thread can’t decide, so to settle matters...when muddy, boots or wellies?

• Boots
    • Wellies

Anyone looking for waterproof boots on a budget

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek-100-mens-waterproof-walking-boots-grey-id_8319097.html

This pair seem to be reasonable price and most of the reviews agree its waterproof. Even has one review from someone that used them at glasto,

"Survived the muddiest Glastonbury ever"

"I took these to the muddiest glastonbury festival in 46 years and they were spot on. Didn't need my wellies once, you can literally slosh through mud in these and your feet stay completely dry and comfortable. Good grip too, especially for the price."

18BF8F80-6BF5-4A72-8CE3-FA33BAD21531.jpeg.afd39d6fa877c1eb8ff6ebe09640a457.jpeg

bought these recently with glasto in mind.  Their a hybrid boot/wellies combo. Fur lined and waterproofed for comfort and dryness.  Laces prevent that annoying wellie shin you get as normal rubber wellies clatter of you legs. Of course I have wasted my money as it will be dry and sunny. 

Haven’t worn wellies at Glastonbury since 2007. It’s been my trusty doc martens every year since for me, mainly for comfort reasons. I treat them every year and they’ve stayed pretty waterproof; the only time I struggled a bit was 2016 on the way to the coaches on the Monday - absolute quagmire near the gates and then a bit of a stressful moment swapping my footwear in a hurry to get on the coach without caking myself in mud getting them off my feet.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kh24 said:

Haven’t worn wellies at Glastonbury since 2007. It’s been my trusty doc martens every year since for me, mainly for comfort reasons. I treat them every year and they’ve stayed pretty waterproof; the only time I struggled a bit was 2016 on the way to the coaches on the Monday - absolute quagmire near the gates and then a bit of a stressful moment swapping my footwear in a hurry to get on the coach without caking myself in mud getting them off my feet.  

This is interesting to note - my girlfriend has recently picked up a pair of Docs but wasn't sure if they would hold up to Glastonbury. Will pass this information on, cheers!

Boots and gaiters for thick mud. I did struggle in 2016 and switched to wellies for Friday & Saturday but went back to boots for the Sunday as my feet were screaming for something more comfortable...

Provided you apply plenty of dubbin/waterproofing and you're careful not to step in pools of water deeper than your boots then 100% boots.

1 hour ago, kh24 said:

It’s been my trusty doc martens every year since for me, mainly for comfort reasons. 

I genuinely struggle to get my head round the words "doc martens" and "comfort" in the same sentence....

Maybe I just have weird feet, but in their third winter I was still getting a blister when I popped to the shops. Have sacked them off for Timberlands, but still always look at other peoples' with envy

47 minutes ago, rubick said:

This is interesting to note - my girlfriend has recently picked up a pair of Docs but wasn't sure if they would hold up to Glastonbury. Will pass this information on, cheers!

I'm definitely a docs convert - the only thing I would stress is treating them well and regularly so the leather isn't compromised and they remain as waterproof as possible. In terms of grip and ankle support though they work for me.

....They do need wearing in though - well in advance of the festival (ouch!). I used leather softener on mine to help this along, as well as quite a lot of ludicrous walks and lunges to really stretch the leather! Personally, whenever I'm wearing any type of boot I wear two pairs of socks (one thin, one a bit thicker) to minimise any friction but I know others on here aren't convinced that this helps. Worth trying a few things out before the main event anyway - would be a bit disastrous to discover docs are just not the right choice for you when you are actually there!      

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I genuinely struggle to get my head round the words "doc martens" and "comfort" in the same sentence....

Maybe I just have weird feet, but in their third winter I was still getting a blister when I popped to the shops. Have sacked them off for Timberlands, but still always look at other peoples' with envy

Yeah I've heard other people say similar - there could be all sorts of things like foot shape and sizing etc that might impact on things. Wearing-in aside, I've genuinely never had sore feet though. Would always urge someone to get a decent practice run-in first, just to be sure.

(I'd imagine Timberlands are pretty decent and comfy though.) 

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

When I hear doc martens I think skinheads, bovver boys and this is England! 

I'm so happy to see this poll is going the right way. Glastocast ran one a while ago and it was way to welly heavy 

I did 2016 entirely in boots and didn't have any issues at all, they weren't even amazing boots just a simple Quecha pair from Decatlon

2 hours ago, Supernova. said:

Are wellies sold on site? 

There are people selling them, yes. Normally the traders that are selling the rest of the camping stuff, mainly airbeds and tents. I know there are some dotted all over the place but I know there is one in/near Silver Hayes. 

On 4/22/2019 at 8:56 AM, Sasperella said:

My newbie friend did however suggest flipflops if sunny....so I was able to at least categorically say no to that 

In 2017 I took some flip flops for pottering around the campsite.  One one day (Friday?) I realised once I was enjoying the music that I still had them on.  Couldn't be arsed to return to my tent to change them so wore them all day without a problem.  Don't know that I would plan to do it again though!  (and they are Birkenstocks so very comfortable for me AND the straps go further back on your foot so they don't flip flop very much).

On 5/17/2019 at 12:54 PM, jambla said:

I took a gamble and bought a pair of those the other week. 

The sizing is good but not overly generous so if you like to wear very thick socks, going a size higher may be advisable. 

I'm dog sitting for my boss next week so will have a chance to break them in and see how waterproof they are

17 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I took a gamble and bought a pair of those the other week. 

The sizing is good but not overly generous so if you like to wear very thick socks, going a size higher may be advisable. 

I'm dog sitting for my boss next week so will have a chance to break them in and see how waterproof they are

Thanks, let me know how you get on as I am planning to buy a pair at the end of month.