Boots or Wellies Poll

Tranquility of Solitude

Boots or Wellies?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Weather Thread can’t decide, so to settle matters...when muddy, boots or wellies?

• Boots
    • Wellies

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If his sole came off, he had shit boots. I suspect we can all agree that shit footwear is a bad idea.

He was also a total eejit, but you did ask if anyone regretted it and he was the only example I could think of :lol:

Edited by Sasperella

If your wearing a good pair of boots your 99.9% more likely to take them home where as boots people just seem to bin them or worse not even bother putting them in a bin.. 

Has any one seen Mr Es wellie boot barn.. 

3 hours ago, Sasperella said:

This guy I was seeing at the time had worn boots while I had wellies. He slipped right over and twisted his knee somewhere or other in the wee hours of Saturday morning (which subsequently swelled up pretty bad) and then in the wee hours of Monday morning we were in Silver Hayes when his sole came clean off.... He was slipping and sliding all over the place for most of the night even before that though

Maybe he had shit balance, was super wrecked and had old, shoddy walking boots. 

If I was still talking to him I text him and ask if he regrets it, but as it is we're going to have to draw our own conclusions....

In 2011, I got so stuck in my wellies in Shangri La that I sprained my ankle pretty badly and spent the next morning in the welfare tent getting it strapped up. I figure there's anecdotal stories for and against both. When will we all unite against the REAL enemy: the mud! ???

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

I've never once worn hiking boots to a festival. I've had the same pair of wellies for 6 years now but I think this will be their last.

I’ve had mine since 2003, and they still look as handsome as the day that I bought them (for £7), even though I do not. that works out as 50p per festival- superb value

12 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This is probably key for when wellies become the better option - but in truth in 2016 there weren't any bits that bad (or if they were they were so minor they could be easily skirted). 

That's it really.  I mean, sure it's like an inland sea of liquid mud around the soulless corporate hell hole of the "chill and charge tent", but you don't HAVE to wade through the middle of it.  As I recall Lake Cider bus in 2016 was the only standing water that lasted any period of time and again, neither so wide nor so long that you couldn't just skirt around it and add 45 seconds to your journey.

10 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I've never once worn hiking boots to a festival. I've had the same pair of wellies for 6 years now but I think this will be their last.

Bought my last pair of hiking boots in the mid 80s and they lasted me until 2015. I did a heck of a lot of climbing and hiking in them, as well as festivals. Renewed them with the same brand, and I suspect given how much less distance and height I cover these days compared to 30 years ago, these boots will last longer than I will. However they’re not cheap, so unless you do plenty non Glastonbury walking, a cheaper pair would make more sense. I’d still opt for boots over wellies though. Irrespective of ground conditions. 

28 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

only ever worn army boots - rain or shine.

just wish there was still a plentiful supply of mk1 & mk2 German para boots. 

This shop that I go to every blue moon appears to have German para boots. Whether they are mk1, mk2, or other, I wouldn't know.

https://www.twrydersinbirmingham.co.uk/store/German-Para-Boots-p66355811

I got an ex army poncho for Glastonbury from there, just before attending one of the rainy mud years. It was a life saver. I could sit or lie down in most places (whereas my mates couldn't). What's more, I've still got it.i think it may be indestructible. 

12 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

While this is hilarious, it's also made me have some horrid mud flashbacks that I'd mostly forgotten!

Has anyone ever gone sans-footwear? I have some friends who basically got trenchfoot from wearing wet shoes/boots/wellies (not sure which) at Glade 2007, and in the years following that, if it was muddy a couple of them would just walk around barefoot. Sounds like madness to me, but they swore blind the mud was actually quite warm (and I don't recall them ever cutting their feet open)

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

While this is hilarious, it's also made me have some horrid mud flashbacks that I'd mostly forgotten!

Has anyone ever gone sans-footwear? I have some friends who basically got trenchfoot from wearing wet shoes/boots/wellies (not sure which) at Glade 2007, and in the years following that, if it was muddy a couple of them would just walk around barefoot. Sounds like madness to me, but they swore blind the mud was actually quite warm (and I don't recall them ever cutting their feet open)

And you'll notice that the guy who finally got him out is wearing boots.

Edited by Losing my hair
managed to get the video clip in.

2 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

And you'll notice that the guy who finally got him out is wearing boots.

The entire thing was staged and filmed by the walking boot industry

Also, am I the only one distressed at the stuck bloke repeatedly battering the helpers nether regions with his bottom at the 46 second mark?

Edited by Mr.Tease

4 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Not barefoot, but my wellies split in 2007 and I had to wear sandals until I could get new ones. Was cold, wet and miserable, but I don't drink excessively or take drugs which might be where I went wrong ?