Boots or Wellies Poll

Tranquility of Solitude

Boots or Wellies?  

408 members have voted

1. 1. Weather Thread can’t decide, so to settle matters...when muddy, boots or wellies?

• Boots
    • Wellies

Boots & wellies...it really depends on the conditions under foot. When it's really wet the mud becomes very deep and sloppy. In such conditions it's necessary to switch from boots to wellies otherwise boots will be inundated with liquid mud......like 2007.

I take trainers, boots & wellies but leave latter in car as a back up.

Good walking boots.  Waterproof and breatheable are the way to go for me.  I have feet that will sweat like the contents of a sumo wrestlers jockstrap if they are enclosed in rubber.  Wellies would kill me trench foot whatever the weather.  Good quality is a must waterproof and breatheable is the key.  Our local discount factory shop had some Merrells in half price.  I’d avoid leather walking boots like the plague though, too heavy particularly when they’ve got 5kg of mud stuck to them.

Mrs tarw on the other hand swears by wellies.  It all depends what suits you there is no right or wrong answer ( except that I’m right).

Edited by tarw

11 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

I have pretty expensive leather hiking boots which I use for proper hiking.  I wouldn't want them completely caked in Glastonbury mud, so it's wellies at Glasto for me.   :)

I wear Meindl Burma Pros for hills, mountains, coastal walks, and Glastonbury. Good boots, well looked after, will cope with anything.

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Depends how muddy. My boots didn’t hold up so well in 2016 with the constant slop, but in normal mud they win every time, especially for the all important festival feet comfort.

2016 was absolute boot weather! Although I was jealous that my dad could take his wellies of on the rare occasions we managed to sit down.

Personally I go for Docs coz I'm dead cool like that.

Wellies, with decent welly socks for me. The welly socks are the key , they can make wellies really comfortable. And a small pear of socks underneath to make it comfortable underfoot. And bandage up the areas likely to blister. Managed to avoid blisters and welly rash now for a good 10 years by following this

Absolute ballache to get off when caked in mud (black bin bags are a must to get them off at 3am when bladdered and knackered)

Survived 2005, 2007 and 2016 with wellies so cant be wrong

12 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Wellies, with decent welly socks for me. The welly socks are the key , they can make wellies really comfortable. And a small pear of socks underneath to make it comfortable underfoot. And bandage up the areas likely to blister. Managed to avoid blisters and welly rash now for a good 10 years by following this

Absolute ballache to get off when caked in mud (black bin bags are a must to get them off at 3am when bladdered and knackered)

Survived 2005, 2007 and 2016 with wellies so cant be wrong

I’ve survived 2005, 2007 and 2016 with boots so can’t be wrong.

Boots for me. 2016 was much easier with boots. I tried wellies on the Saturday morning when the mud was more watery and then when it went back to sticky clay the boots were so much easier. Worst case scenario was what I seen happen to a few and that was their wellies getting stuck and either falling over or their foot coming out the welly altogether. Just stick with boots ?

Boots all the way.  A decent pair of ankle high walking boots, well worn in so they snuggle your foot like a friendly cat, adorned with a double layer of socks to remove friction and well washed feet.  The ultimate Glastonbury footwear is a pair of proper oldschool shin-high combat boots that fits all the previously mentioned requirements of hygiene and comfort, those fuckers will get you through anything.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Walking boot wearers in Glastonbury 2005 conditions:

Nah. They'd just have needed to avoid the bottom of Pennards and taken care around a couple other spots where the rain pooled.

For the other 95% of the site, Glastonbury 2005 was fine. The mud was nowhere near as bad as it got in 07 or 16.