Ban on Social Media reporting for workers pre festival

Sawdusty surfer

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Having nothing else to do, I've thought about this a little further. How can a festival expect to achieve no leakage of information in today's day and age? Even governments can't do that. So why bother? It doesn't make any sense. Well, to me anyway. 

They’ll know full well that some people will take photos and stuff will leak. It’s inevitable. Policies like this are just calling to people’s better nature in the hope that some who may have done will now decide not to. It’ll work better at Glastonbury because of the love and unity most people involved have with the place. 

Just hope they don’t turn off the webcam - it’s what keeps me going! 

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

All seems a bit draconian and erring towards the fascistic for any festival to take such a stance, let alone the previously perceived liberal stance of Glastonbury. Why adopt such a position - it's a festival, not the Cold War?

Don't think it's that deep.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

They’ll know full well that some people will take photos and stuff will leak. It’s inevitable. Policies like this are just calling to people’s better nature in the hope that some who may have done will now decide not to. It’ll work better at Glastonbury because of the love and unity most people involved have with the place. 

I would like the webcam to go off. The speculation on here will be awesome. Let our imaginations run wild. EE will probably monitor what people are saying to give her ideas for next year 

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Spoiler Alert

I’m told they’re making a new 5,000 year old stone circle. 

I know where there are some suitable stones not too far from Glastonbury,  happy to supply but buyer collects. ?

Available after the 22nd of June. ?

Edited by mashedonmud

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Hello kalifire,

I understand what you are saying, and where you are coming from, it's just that I can't see the point of having a policy which is doomed to fail. What's the point really? It's an exercise in pissing in to the wind. Surely there are more important policies to be implemented, such as new health and safety rules and regulations etc that are mandatory. Why bother adding to what must be a myriad of accountable procedures, something which cannot even be governed?

28 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello kalifire,

I understand what you are saying, and where you are coming from, it's just that I can't see the point of having a policy which is doomed to fail. What's the point really? It's an exercise in pissing in to the wind. Surely there are more important policies to be implemented, such as new health and safety rules and regulations etc that are mandatory. Why bother adding to what must be a myriad of accountable procedures, something which cannot even be governed?

My guess is that it's a bit like the box you tick when buying tickets saying you'll leave no trace (if that's still a thing?). May make sod all difference, may not be forcefully upheld, but will hopefully make a few people think and minimise some of the "damage" so to speak. It's no harm/extra effort to add a sentence to a document.

Edited by gfest2009

13 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello kalifire,

Hello Yoghurt on a Stick,

We don't know how they've communicated this request. I doubt they're asking people to sign contracts or anything. Probably just a polite request, as gfest2009 suggests. I hear what you're saying too, but this just sounds like something they've added to their general guidelines rather than a draconian requirement. I selfishly hope one or two break it because I love the leaks.

I quite like the leaks ...it adds to the build up for me ... it also gives me a semi idea of what I want to go and investigate when I get there ... its such a big place that things can easily get missed (ok maybe not a massive great pier ) but if we took away the threads that involved speculation about the site this place would be lots quieter I would imagine.... 

1 hour ago, gfest2009 said:

My guess is that it's a bit like the box you tick when buying tickets saying you'll leave no trace (if that's still a thing?). May make sod all difference, may not be forcefully upheld, but will hopefully make a few people think and minimise some of the "damage" so to speak. 

Hello gfest2009,

I understand and appreciate what you are saying, but it's a 'system' of attempted control which is kind of laughable to me. It would only take one person to spill the beans to someone, who then can't keep it to themselves and tells another etc, and then it's 'out'. I'm not exactly a full on gambler (by any means) but would say that it's a fair bet that people who are interested will find out detail. The vast majority probably wont, unless a journalist for a main stream news outlet sees an opportunity.

1 hour ago, gfest2009 said:

It's no harm/extra effort to add a sentence to a document.

Perhaps not in this instance. However, a sentence here, a sentence there, a short paragraph here and a short paragraph there, can stifle an organisation. It can even lead to contradictory policies and procedures. I guess I'm just saying that it's not a path that I'd like GFL to go down unecessarily, having seen it at work within the last organisation that I worked for. I guess I'd just like it if this were an isolated incident. It probably is really. I'm just a bit pissed up, drugged up and sleep deprived, so may be reading far far too much in to it. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:26 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Spent the day today with someone (who shall remain anonymous) who is as always involved with an aspect of the build of the festival, In this year's contract it states that nothing festival related (ie spoilers) should be posted on Social media before the event. So no spoilers.

Despite my involvement I've  so far, never had to sign a contract as such and neither have they.

Interesting.

The person that told me this is what could be described as 'core crew'. She's never shared secrets about the festival online because she simply can't be bothered and has a full, happy and entertaining life without having to resort to forums populated by Glastonbury obsessives. Having said that she couldn't actually have been to any more Glastonbury Festivals than she has been to and is hugely excited that she'll be on site in five or six weeks. The new clause (well, sentence anyway) in her contract means nowt to her and I'm sure that she'll still mention in conversation what's going on. Actually, she is a Glastonbury obsessive to the max, just not online.

So, I'm not , as yet, bound by any gagging orders despite being involved in three different areas of the event.

I think that the fairest way forward for me is to have a large SPOILER ALERT alert in any new threads that I may post on here in the future with no solid info in the thread title.

Thoughts?

(Doesn't apply to my usual 'State of the ground' thread, that's no secret)

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

The person that told me this is what could be described as 'core crew'. She's never shared secrets about the festival online because she simply can't be bothered and has a full, happy and entertaining life without having to resort to forums populated by Glastonbury obsessives. Having said that she couldn't actually have been to any more Glastonbury Festivals than she has been to and is hugely excited that she'll be on site in five or six weeks. The new clause (well, sentence anyway) in her contract means nowt to her and I'm sure that she'll still mention in conversation what's going on. Actually, she is a Glastonbury obsessive to the max, just not online.

So, I'm not , as yet, bound by any gagging orders despite being involved in three different areas of the event.

I think that the fairest way forward for me is to have a large SPOILER ALERT alert in any new threads that I may post on here in the future with no solid info in the thread title.

Thoughts?

I think that a SPOILER ALERT thread would be a great idea. Unfortunately I haven't any spoiler alerts except that I know that the SE corner stewards had their briefing last weekend, so they might know stuff.

48 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Thoughts?

Sounds like a fine idea.

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Thoughts?

I'm not really au fait with the ins and outs of spolier alerts etc, but would hate for you to jeopardise your position within the inner sanctum, as it were, so would plead for you to be careful. I don't actually know what I'm talking about now, so cannot really continue. The end.