When is the queue to get in at its smallest?

Sezz

Hi, just wondering how long people have waited to get in when they arrive on Wednesday and when would be best to aim for getting there? I haven't been since 2010 and think we waited for 3hrs in the baking heat with a 10month old so just trying to avoid that sort of hell again 

It's pretty much a straight line - the later you arrive, the quieter the gates are so you need to decide on the trade off.

It'll vary a bit by gate, and whether you're coming in by car or public transport, but things should have quietened down to minimal levels by mid afternoon.

1 hour ago, Sezz said:

Hi, just wondering how long people have waited to get in when they arrive on Wednesday and when would be best to aim for getting there? I haven't been since 2010 and think we waited for 3hrs in the baking heat with a 10month old so just trying to avoid that sort of hell again 

Most years we've started queuing  for Gate A/C around 7-9am and queued for about 2-4 hours.  

Like others have said, the queues for most gates will have reduced by midday (if travelling by coach it can vary depending on how many coaches have arrived at the same time) and should be a relatively easy trek in.

The downside is, setting off later means you'll hit a lot more traffic on the way down to Glastonbury but at least it's a bit more comfortable!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Most years we've started queuing  for Gate A/C around 7-9am and queued for about 2-4 hours.  

Like others have said, the queues for most gates will have reduced by midday (if travelling by coach it can vary depending on how many coaches have arrived at the same time) and should be a relatively easy trek in.

The downside is, setting off later means you'll hit a lot more traffic on the way down to Glastonbury but at least it's a bit more comfortable!

In 2017 we arrived at noon Wednesday. The traffic was very light all the way from M5 Bridgewater, through Glastonbury and to Pilton where we hit the queue for the car park.....it was 1 car long and we  were parked 2 minutes later ?

• Like 1

I’d advocate arriving early if you can and enjoying the sense of being at the site before the gates open. I arrive via the drop off shuttle and try to time my arrival before the coaches start getting there, which usually means 4-5am. There’s already a long queue but if you can beat the coaches, you’re ahead. You then get the anticipation, the cheers as the gates open, the pick of camping fields and the enjoyment of watching the site gradually fill. 

2017 was slightly different, when extra security checks meant I was ushered to some other queue, away from PGA, and then told to leave that queue and join the Gate D queue instead. Didn’t feel especially well organised. 

If we get tickets next week we will be aiming to get onsite for mid afternoon. With a 18 month old and a pregnant wife I don’t want to have to wait in any queues and to be able to take our time getting to Glastonbury. Previously when’s it’s been me and my wife and no kids we’ve got there the night before and queued. It is good fun but would hate to do it with kids

1 hour ago, gratefulbread said:

I haven't been since 2014.. what are the extra security checks mentioned above? I have seen it mentioned elsewhere as well. 

As a direct result of the heightened threat of terrorist attacks the festival adopted extra security measures in 2017. The most visible of which was searches of possessions on arrival at the entry gate just prior to getting your wristband. There were some reports early on of fans having items confiscated (e.g. knives) when searches may have been more thorough but for most it was a 30 - 60 second hold up. Our group who arrived ca. 12:45pm at Gate A experienced a pat down of backpacks and were somewhat arbitarily asked to open the box containing the camping stove on 1 of our 2 trollies.

All in all, a hold up but nothing major ? 

Edited by Lycra

On 4/18/2019 at 3:02 PM, Sezz said:

I go in gate c at midday. Theres never a queue