Carlsberg lager ‘probably not’ the best in the world, brewer admits

ceetee

Carlsberg has reacted to consumer distaste for its lager by admitting that it was “probably not” the best in the world.

The Danish brewer has launched a new recipe following increasingly harsh reaction from drinkers to its original slogan – “Probably the best lager in the world” – which accompanied falling sales.

A new advertising campaign declares: “Probably not the best beer in the world. So we’ve changed it.”

The brewer has shared disparaging comments about the old beer as part of the new campaign, including one that compared it to “drinking the bathwater your nan died in”.

After the change to the ingredients and brewing method, the lager has been rebranded as Carlsberg Danish Pilsner.

It has the same alcohol content of 3.8% but a “crisper, fuller flavour”.

Carlsberg UK’s vice president of marketing, Liam Newton, said: “Drinkers’ interest in mainstream lager has waned because, though the world has moved on, the mainstream category hasn’t.

“At Carlsberg UK, we lost our way. We focused on brewing quantity, not quality; we became one of the cheapest, not the best.”

- Press Association

https://www.breakingnews.ie/business/carlsberg-lager-probably-not-the-best-in-the-world-brewer-admits-918308.html

No mention of Tuburg, can we pray that's been scrapped completely?

40 minutes ago, ceetee said:

No mention of Tuburg, can we pray that's been scrapped completely?

its Tuborg but Carlsberg marketing division has been pushing it for Years .

I used to drink Tuborg out of a bottle in the 70's and it tastes nothing like Tuborg Draft but these days I prefer Carlsberg draft - some kegs are Carlsberg draft but its mainly Tuborg Draft either in keg form or tanker - just check the board as not all bars have a option.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They've been sponsoring some really harsh tweets about Carlsberg on Twitter.  Quite funny, to give them credit.

Dunno if it's just a British thing, but a strong self-deprecation game is always a decent route to getting credit.  Even if it's done as a planned marketing approach, it definitely works!

5 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

I’ve been to the Carlsberg factory/ museum in Copenhagen and they do some lovely beers - even the bog standard stuff is more than palatable there.

I'm going to Copenhagen next weekend and was disappointed to learn that the factory is shut for refurb, possibly why the recipe is being rejigged now

3 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

Genuinely don’t understand the hate for Carlsberg at all, 1000 times better than Fosters, Carling, Coors light and Becks! 

Blind taste test, I don’t think I could tell any of those apart. Crap lager is crap lager. It’ tastes of soggy cardboard, and its only really any good when it’s absolutely freezing cold, on a hot day. 

I’m a terrible beer snob ??? I want 2/3rds of Omnipollo, Verdant and Northern Monk! 

25 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

Skol is worse, I remember they gave free cans of it away at Leeds a few years ago. 

Coor’s Light is my go to Lager. 

That free Skol beer at Reading was the worst thing I have ever drunk... probably not much worse than juice of longdrop!

Last pint of Export I had was utter rank and has put me off it ever since. I'll have a bash at their new offering though. I've succumbed to the overpriced poncy craft beers these days, but I had a pint of Fosters the other week (due to lack of choice) - and it was actually much better than I remember. 

3 hours ago, reflekting said:

Can they just put Export in the cans instead as that's actually a middling lager? If they sold that in bulk i wouldn't be against taking a couple of crates to the G. 

Must admit I've lived on Export for the last couple of years, decent tasting and decent 5% strength, but the green canned stuff is utter shite.