Coach resale - how does it work?

brightyoungthing

Hello, it's been a while! So we didn't get tickets for glasto this year (first time in years - sob!!)

We're going to try for resale coach tix, hedging our bets and hopefully being successful. We've never gone by coach before so am wondering exactly how it works (sorry if it seems rudimentary!)

We will be travelling from London:  Are the coach and tickets sold separately?
 i.e. If 3 people didn't pay balances on the 9am coach from London would there be 3x tickets on the 9am coach, or would 3x 'london' tickets become available and we book our own coach time?

Hope that makes sense. Help very much appreciated.

Best of luck to all resale triers!

@brightyoungthing When you book a combined coach ticket (total price paid in one go on ticket sale day) your physical festival ticket is given to you on the bus by the driver. Unfortunately you don't get to pick your departure time. Could be 6am, could be 2pm, it's pure luck and no special dispensation is given to anyone. You literally get what you're given but you do get to choose the day of departure, subject to availability, Wednesday departures naturally sell out first.

If you're desperate to be there, consider departures from other locations en route, like Reading, Swindon or Bristol. Figure out the logistics of getting there and back once you've secured your ticket.

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

13 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I thought.London and Bristol you did book times? But maybe only in the first sale? But yeah agree thatbit it is worth considering being prepared to travel from other departure points.

Apologies if that's the case for Bristol and London, I've only ever got the coach from Taunton (3 times) and we've been allocated timeslots 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Apologies if that's the case for Bristol and London, I've only ever got the coach from Taunton (3 times) and we've been allocated timeslots 

No worries - I know that elsewhere you get allocated times but I also know that London you can pick your time but as I say I'm not sure if that's also true of the resale?

I'm travelling from Taunton this time - what time coaches have you got in the past?  Are there many going there and coming back?  Can't wait to find out our coach times!

2 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

No worries - I know that elsewhere you get allocated times but I also know that London you can pick your time but as I say I'm not sure if that's also true of the resale?

I'm travelling from Taunton this time - what time coaches have you got in the past?  Are there many going there and coming back?  Can't wait to find out our coach times!

All three times I've been really lucky, they gave me a (Wednesday) circa 6am slot, which gets to the festival before 8am. Best thing about the coach is that the queues are much shorter at pedestrian gate A. Arrived around 8am last year, I was through the gate and in the festival by 9am! Fingers crossed you get a favourable slot!

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

When we booked in October ours was for a time, this is from the email.

2 BRISTOL RETURN TRAVEL (DEP 10:30 RET 12:30) at £36.50 (Booked on Thursday 4th October 2018) 
(so there's a separate sum for the coach element).

My previous experience of coach and resale was that the supply of London coach tickets was better than many of the smaller cities, hence we deemed that one of the places we were prepared to go to if our preferred place was sold out - which it was pretty swiftly along with other choices in the West Country.

Same advice as other tickets - have multiple people trying wherever possible and work out your preference but also what you'd fall back to if that wasn't available.  Everyone says about wanting Wednesday but if the choice was Thursday or nowt they would jump at it in a heartbeat.

Edited by clarkete
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

All three times I've been really lucky, they gave me a (Wednesday) circa 6am slot, which gets to the festival before 8am. Best thing about the coach is that the queues are much shorter at pedestrian gate A. Arrived around 8am last year, I was through the gate and in the festival by 9am! Fingers crossed you get a favourable slot!

Wow!  6 o'clock would be amazing!  I've been by coach before so know that it's a great set up to get in at Gate A but have only been from Birmingham - once Thursday, once Wednesday but both leaving mid-morning.  Which wasn't the worst thing in the world as it meant a decent night's sleep the night before without having to get up incredibly early.  And although I didn't really want the Thursday coach, as it turned out it was probably for the best as it was 2016 with all the chaos that brought getting in on the Wednesday.  Are you going by coach from Taunton again this year?

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Wow!  6 o'clock would be amazing!  I've been by coach before so know that it's a great set up to get in at Gate A but have only been from Birmingham - once Thursday, once Wednesday but both leaving mid-morning.  Which wasn't the worst thing in the world as it meant a decent night's sleep the night before without having to get up incredibly early.  And although I didn't really want the Thursday coach, as it turned out it was probably for the best as it was 2016 with all the chaos that brought getting in on the Wednesday.  Are you going by coach from Taunton again this year?

we leave at 6am from  Taunton by car ... you will be in hours before us :) if you get that one 

Edited by crazyfool1
forgot u didn't know times yet :)

14 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I once drove from Devon to the festival site on a Tuesday night, parked my car in orange car park, walked back to the taxi rank, got a taxi to Castle Cary station, caught the next train to Taunton, stayed in a hotel in Taunton on the Tuesday night then caught the 6am coach back to Glastonbury! I'd do it again in a heartbeat if it meant getting a ticket. This year I decided to risk going for the main sale (cos I now live 30 minutes away) and was very lucky. 

These were the times in 2014 and I don't think they've changed too much since then (but I've been known to have been wrong from time-to-time, see above post ? ). As I say, I've always been really fortunate to have been given the 6am slot. 

Glasto Coach time grB 1.jpg

Glasto Coach time grB 2.jpg

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I once drove from Devon to the festival site on a Tuesday night, parked my car in orange car park, walked back to the taxi rank, got a taxi to Castle Cary station, caught the next train to Taunton, stayed in a hotel in Taunton on the Tuesday night then caught the 6am coach back to Glastonbury! I'd do it again in a heartbeat if it meant getting a ticket. This year I decided to risk going for the main sale (cos I now live 30 minutes away) and was very lucky. 

These were the times in 2014 and I don't think they've changed too much since then (but I've been known to have been wrong from time-to-time, see above post ? ). As I say, I've always been really fortunate to have been given the 6am slot. 

Ooh 14:15 would not be great - but hey ho, I'd live with that - but would prefer 6:15.  I must have got to site mid afternoon in 2016 and I lived with that.  I imagined there would be at least one in between the two from Taunton and I found it surprising how few there are from different locations really.

We are a group of 6 that have managed to get tickets some how every year for the last 5 festivals through many means. This year we have no tickets and no real hope of tickets so we will be desperately trying for the resale. As we are 6 we thought we would try for coach tickets too. Can anyone that has got coach tickets in the resale before please advise us of how it works.

Do you just generally get in to the page to get tickets and then it shows you from which destinations are still available and you choose?

Or are you only going for resale from one destination so you need to preselect your departure with the likelihood of you getting tickets from there like Bristol as there are huge number of buses over York that only has one time available each day?

As it is the resale do you preselect your bus times from every destination or have bus times still not been allocated?

I hope that make sense?!?!

On 4/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, MickDundee said:

We are a group of 6 that have managed to get tickets some how every year for the last 5 festivals through many means. This year we have no tickets and no real hope of tickets so we will be desperately trying for the resale. As we are 6 we thought we would try for coach tickets too. Can anyone that has got coach tickets in the resale before please advise us of how it works.

Do you just generally get in to the page to get tickets and then it shows you from which destinations are still available and you choose?

Or are you only going for resale from one destination so you need to preselect your departure with the likelihood of you getting tickets from there like Bristol as there are huge number of buses over York that only has one time available each day?

As it is the resale do you preselect your bus times from every destination or have bus times still not been allocated?

I hope that make sense?!?!

First thing to note is you are a group of 6 and in the coach ticket resale there is a max of 2 tickets if you're lucky enough to get through. It's slightly better in the general resale as you can buy up to 4 tickets. So if you're still a 6 some decisions will need to be made prior to the resale days.

As regards choice of coach from distant memory I believe it comes down to a what's available/left. Others with more recent experience may be able to provide more advice.

Good luck

5 minutes ago, Lycra said:

First thing to note is you are a group of 6 and in the coach ticket resale there is a max of 2 tickets if you're lucky enough to get through. It's slightly better in the general resale as you can buy up to 4 tickets. So if you're still a 6 some decisions will need to be made prior to the resale days.

Well it seems they have at least two transactions whichever way you cut it, so it sounds like good logic to do both.  I've benefited from a coach resale before and been delighted by it.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:06 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think there are even more coach times in later years, as in 2016 there were two departure times from Liverpool on the Thursday. On the Wednesday in 2017 there were departures in the middle of the night too. I think the number of coaches has increased each year since they were introduced, 15,000 coach places now?

Edited by Kneale

On 4/18/2019 at 10:06 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I've been looking into this and these times had changed by 2016, as well as more coaches being added, so they certainly aren't a good guide to times this year.