2019 Map

Dukeicon

13 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

I’m a bit sceptical about this stuff about the  West Holts PA altering wherever you stand.

Saw Underworld in 2016 and heard some amazing, crisp sounding techno blasting out of that system. Stood in exactly the same spot a year later for Shaggy and the stuff emanating from said same equipment was utter fucking tripe. Does anyone have any explanation for this?

It's true, I might be talking absolute shite.  It's a theory based on those links from earlier (and other reading about the PA) and differing reports on here about how good different acts sounded, and there seemed to be a strong correlation between standing close and it being amazing and standing a bit further back and it sounding absolute pants.  But I didn't test it out at the festival.  I've only hit on the theory since the 2017, but I do think I'm right, obvs! 

If you see someone walking up and down the W Holts arena wearing two hats and listening intently come and say hello :)

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's true, I might be talking absolute shite.  It's a theory based on those links from earlier (and other reading about the PA) and differing reports on here about how good different acts sounded, and there seemed to be a strong correlation between standing close and it being amazing and standing a bit further back and it sounding absolute pants.  But I didn't test it out at the festival.  I've only hit on the theory since the 2017, but I do think I'm right, obvs! 

If you see someone walking up and down the W Holts arena wearing two hats and listening intently come and say hello :)

I’m not dispelling your theories, my good man. I think you may be right.

Putting aside my terrible attempt at a joke, I think you have a point. I was slightly further left for Shaggy and the sound wasn’t as good for Undwerworld. Always put that down to the fact I wasn’t as “refreshed” for the former and enjoyed the latter’s music more.

27 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Is it just me or does there appear to be less toilets around some of the camping areas? The queues are already bad enough in the mornings ?

Depends what time of the morning doesn't it?

7am to 9am - No probs usually.

Its 9 to 11am that the queues for toilets and water are usually the worst. But I don't think they can reduce the number of toilets if the festival capacity is staying the same. All that sort of stuff is in the license for the event and they can't change it I don't think.

1 hour ago, D-Low said:

Is it just me or does there appear to be less toilets around some of the camping areas? The queues are already bad enough in the mornings ?

there will be more on later map versions I would think :) fallow year should allow for more infrastructure not less :) 

22 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

I’m a bit sceptical about this stuff about the  West Holts PA altering wherever you stand.

Saw Underworld in 2016 and heard some amazing, crisp sounding techno blasting out of that system. Stood in exactly the same spot a year later for Shaggy and the stuff emanating from said same equipment was utter fucking tripe. Does anyone have any explanation for this?

Is it the old 'headline band gets full use of the PA and everyone else gets to sound rubbish' chestnut? Or perhaps Underworld had their own sound team working the equipment and knew how to get the best sound out of the gear for what Underworld were doing.

7 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Maybe they are double decker long drops?

I'm thinking of a new game they could introduce as part of the entertainment. Bit like Celebrity Squares but riskier. One player picks a random ground floor longdrop to sit in, and their mates then try to pick the right people on the top deck.

I'm calling it Battleshits

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'm thinking of a new game they could introduce as part of the entertainment. Bit like Celebrity Squares but riskier. One player picks a random ground floor longdrop to sit in, and their mates then try to pick the right people on the top deck.

Channel 5 will snap this up.

7 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Is it the old 'headline band gets full use of the PA and everyone else gets to sound rubbish' chestnut? Or perhaps Underworld had their own sound team working the equipment and knew how to get the best sound out of the gear for what Underworld were doing.

I think it may be everyone was in a ‘lovely place’ for Underworld. Certainly everyone around me was

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Weren't there some people on here who were near the front for Avalanches and it sounded good? Was so bad from further back.

Yup. I was in line with the left set of speakers, about 6 or 7 rows back and it sounded great.

I was in virtually the same spot for Anderson.Paak too and it sounded absolutely terrible.

9 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I don't think it works like a normal venue gig, where as you say the headline act get a proper sound-check and leave their gear on stage, and the support acts have to squeeze in in front of that for their sets with minimal sound-team support.

From what I've seen the stage is cleared completely between acts, and the next act has been setting up on mobile platforms back-stage, so they wheel on the drums and amps etc. already mic'd up and line-checked, and plug them into multi-way connectors on stage ready to go. So each act gets an equal bite at the PA cherry. Although, that said, it often seems that the headline act gets a bigger interval from the sub-headliners in which to make sure everything is set up perfectly - Kanye had a full hour's interlude in which to plug in his mic and laptop, f'rinstance, whereas most acts get about 30mins 

So the difference is probably down to how good each band's sound team is at setting up that quickly and optimising the particular space that they're dealing with for their band's sound

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Weren't there some people on here who were near the front for Avalanches and it sounded good? Was so bad from further back.

To be fair, Avalanches sound pretty bad on CD as well.  The music is good but the sound quality is terrible.  You'd think they could find a record cleaner.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:35 PM, Quark said:

Either that or get Michael Barrymore in for a new version of shite it lucky 

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2019 at 1:00 AM, billum said:

I don't think it works like a normal venue gig, where as you say the headline act get a proper sound-check and leave their gear on stage, and the support acts have to squeeze in in front of that for their sets with minimal sound-team support.

From what I've seen the stage is cleared completely between acts, and the next act has been setting up on mobile platforms back-stage, so they wheel on the drums and amps etc. already mic'd up and line-checked, and plug them into multi-way connectors on stage ready to go. So each act gets an equal bite at the PA cherry. Although, that said, it often seems that the headline act gets a bigger interval from the sub-headliners in which to make sure everything is set up perfectly - Kanye had a full hour's interlude in which to plug in his mic and laptop, f'rinstance, whereas most acts get about 30mins 

So the difference is probably down to how good each band's sound team is at setting up that quickly and optimising the particular space that they're dealing with for their band's sound

With underworld they had all their gear set up and did a sound check around 9/ 10am , quite enjoyed watching them then!

• 2 weeks later...