Exercise / Running at Glastonbury

McCor

3 minutes ago, dccool said:

I'll be wearing a fit bit for the first time this year can't wait to see how many steps i do and how many miles I cover over the 5 days.

Be interesting to see how little sleep I survive on too 

Don’t take the results too seriously. Waving your arms around and clapping will register loads of steps so not much use as a guide for distance walked.

4 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Don’t take the results too seriously. Waving your arms around and clapping will register loads of steps so not much use as a guide for distance walked.

Very true although Wednesday and Thursday are bimble days so should give me good idea. 

1 minute ago, dccool said:

Very true although Wednesday and Thursday are bimble days so should give me good idea. 

Like a bimble too ?. I’ll try and remember to turn the GPS on my Garmin on for a couple of days. That’ll be more accurate....bet I forget. 

8 hours ago, McCor said:

I never thought I would ever be the person to ask this question, but, here we are.

I'm running a half marathon in October, and my training plan will require to me do 2, maybe 3 runs during the festival. I'm thinking, up early, get it done.

Has anyone else had to do this, or does anyone choose to go for a run at the festival?

(I'm running for Teenage Cancer Trust if anyone is feeling flush :) https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TheRealMcCor)

x

Honestly, you have absolutely loads of time to get up to half marathon distance. Six months is plenty of time to get the distance up.

Don’t worry about it, enjoy the festival. It won’t do you any harm to miss a few days of running.

1 hour ago, ripcurl85 said:

On a similar topic, has anyone on here ever taken part in the Festival Run around the site which usually takes place in October? Tempted to sign up for the one later this year but wondered whether anyone had experience of it.  

http://www.piltonvillage.co.uk/festival-run.html

I'd be up for it

I've done the 5k run around the site on the Thursday morning a few times. It's organised by Actionwork Anti Bullying campaign and usually sets off at about 9am from the Green Futures Field and finishes near the cider bus. There are about 15-25 people that do it and it's good fun (although tough when it's muddy!). A reporter did it a while ago and wrote about it here: https://www.thefitbits.com/2015/07/running-at-glastonbury-festival.html.

The map that they've used in the past is below: 

1934243_1691830354433269_8136846492489610117_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

May be entirely wrong, but haven't you previously been part of the morning runs during the festival?  Or is this the one time you take off? :D

You are correct, the festival is the only time when I DON’T run around the site! Everyone needs a holiday ? Anyway, there are far too many people in the way. I prefer the quiet season when it’s me and the cows/ sheep for company. Only thing I have to watch out for is Michael in his landie. 

2 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

You are correct, the festival is the only time when I DON’T run around the site! Everyone needs a holiday ? Anyway, there are far too many people in the way. I prefer the quiet season when it’s me and the cows/ sheep for company. Only thing I have to watch out for is Michael in his landie. 

Slacker :lol:

2 hours ago, ripcurl85 said:

On a similar topic, has anyone on here ever taken part in the Festival Run around the site which usually takes place in October? Tempted to sign up for the one later this year but wondered whether anyone had experience of it.  

1 hour ago, McCor said:

I’m one of the organisers (along with a couple of other efesters). We will be going live VERY soon. Just sorting out what colour t shirts we’re having this year and then the website will be open for you to put your entry in. I’ll update the thread on here when we are ready. Also the village website, twitter and facetwat will have the info. But ask away if you want any info prior to that.

Went on a run with @Superscally and a few other guys on Thursday morning in 2017. We did about 10k and coincidentally finished at the same time and place as the more organised 5k. It was nice to go and do some exercise after a day / 2 nights of drinking and the glorious weather that year meant we could just jump under a tap afterwards..

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping to get up for a run Thursday morning, although it is rather dependent upon how hard the Cider Bus twats me on Wednesday evening :)

Hoping to get along and do the 5k, but want to another 5k on top really, so might reverse the route once finished to double up if anyones keen..

And ill be running down from the Camper van field , if anyone else up there is thinking of a trot down

Edited by BeddyDriver

I ran at Glastonbury because my chum didn't. His casual approach to leaving my awning to be sick resulted in the rest of us running, jumping and using caravan windows as escape routes. He's forgiven but reminded constantly that he should of been the one to leave with a bit of urgency. ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?

2 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

I’m one of the organisers (along with a couple of other efesters). We will be going live VERY soon. Just sorting out what colour t shirts we’re having this year and then the website will be open for you to put your entry in. I’ll update the thread on here when we are ready. Also the village website, twitter and facetwat will have the info. But ask away if you want any info prior to that.

Ideal, I will keep an eye out for when entries go live. 

10 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Went on a run with @Superscally and a few other guys on Thursday morning in 2017. We did about 10k and coincidentally finished at the same time and place as the more organised 5k. It was nice to go and do some exercise after a day / 2 nights of drinking and the glorious weather that year meant we could just jump under a tap afterwards..

That was ace. Same again if resales are kind. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 2:10 PM, McCor said:

Has anyone else had to do this, or does anyone choose to go for a run at the festival?

Of course you don't have to - and it's unlikely to massively affect your fitness/time - but if you want to run any morning then I'm game!

I'm on a min-5K-a-day running streak and intending to keep it rolling through Glasto. We'll be in family camping so just one/two late late ones over the 5 nights. I can never sleep in anyway!

Let me know if you want to join, but feel free not to!