Exercise / Running at Glastonbury

McCor

I never thought I would ever be the person to ask this question, but, here we are.

I'm running a half marathon in October, and my training plan will require to me do 2, maybe 3 runs during the festival. I'm thinking, up early, get it done.

Has anyone else had to do this, or does anyone choose to go for a run at the festival?

(I'm running for Teenage Cancer Trust if anyone is feeling flush :) https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TheRealMcCor)

x

I run probably 5 times a week up to 50km and to be honest, I think you’d be better off just not running. You won’t get a good run in, and if it’s only to make you feel better just pack in a couple of runs Monday and Tuesday before the festival. I hate when I have days off but sometimes it’s just better not to, especially for the stress of running at Glasto, reckon it’d be a nightmare!

A half marathon in October doesn’t need you desperately running in late June. If you’re fit and running now, you’ll barely lose any fitness.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

I run probably 5 times a week up to 50km and to be honest, I think you’d be better off just not running. You won’t get a good run in, and if it’s only to make you feel better just pack in a couple of runs Monday and Tuesday before the festival. I hate when I have days off but sometimes it’s just better not to, especially for the stress of running at Glasto, reckon it’d be a nightmare!

A half marathon in October doesn’t need you desperately running in late June. If you’re fit and running now, you’ll barely lose any fitness.  

This made me laugh :) I'm on week 2 of couch25k :) 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, McCor said:

I never thought I would ever be the person to ask this question, but, here we are.

I'm running a half marathon in October, and my training plan will require to me do 2, maybe 3 runs during the festival. I'm thinking, up early, get it done.

Has anyone else had to do this, or does anyone choose to go for a run at the festival?

(I'm running for Teenage Cancer Trust if anyone is feeling flush :) https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TheRealMcCor)

x

Yeah there is a Glasto Run on the Thursday morning (9am) that is coordinated https://www.facebook.com/events/actionwork-anti-bullying-village-in-green-futures-field/glasto-festival-fun-run/181416482367035/

I think they are starting at the Green futures field this year. It's a decent 5k.

I was in my marathon training in 2017 though and on the Tuesday (i was working it) i went for a whole site run and it was worth it, good job i had the crew showers! 

Good luck for the half marathon! i'm sure you will smash it! 

I don't think a week off will do you any harm, put it in before and use the week to rest before getting back into it the following week.  Plus you don't want to be getting an injury at Glastonbury and spoiling your festival.  Plenty of time before October to get up to half marathon distance.

Seen on a few occasions what can only be described as a running club going round the site early mornings. Could be the 5k fun run described above.

I'd be way too scared of rolling an ankle never mind the fact that my nights were just ending as this lot were about to go running!

44 minutes ago, McCor said:

x

I did the same as you three years ago (signed up for the run in April, training plan supposed to run on Glastonbury weekend) and I gave myself the time off. I essentially started the training plan I was given a week early and did the same week twice (the week of Glastonbury and the week after Glastonbury), skipping all the runs whilst I was at the festival. I'd guess Glastonbury is towards the start of your plan so the distances should be short!

Good luck with it all, it's a great run and you'll have a ball! Watch out for the surprise hill at mile 10!

2 minutes ago, compactdisc said:

I did the same as you three years ago (signed up for the run in April, training plan supposed to run on Glastonbury weekend) and I gave myself the time off. I essentially started the training plan I was given a week early and did the same week twice (the week of Glastonbury and the week after Glastonbury), skipping all the runs whilst I was at the festival. I'd guess Glastonbury is towards the start of your plan so the distances should be short!

Good luck with it all, it's a great run and you'll have a ball! Watch out for the surprise hill at mile 10!

Yeah, my 16 week plan officially starts just before the festival, so I'm inclined to start it early now, and do the fun run!

Hill at Mile 10? Royal Parks Half?

47 minutes ago, McCor said:

This made me laugh :) I'm on week 2 of couch25k :) 

Well you'll be on Week 12 by the time Glastonbury rolls around, time for a week long break :)

Just enjoy the festival.. like others have said you wont lose any fitness and you'll be walking 5-10 miles a day anyway!

5 hours ago, McCor said:

x

If you’re training to just get round/complete the HM don’t worry about running during Glasto, October is ages away. On the other hand if you’re trying to nail a fast time/pb you probably need to run. If the latter is the case you’d already know what to do ?

Worrying about a couple of training runs four months before a half marathon? What are you trying to do, break the world record?

You will be spending so much time on your feet. What you eat and drink those days will matter more than if you run or not.

On the treadmill I do about half a mile whilst listening to ‘Hey Boy Hey Girl’ & I reckon dancing to it is about the same.

Surely you can just REALLY dance enough times during the week to get your miles in that way?

I run, but I’d never bother at Glastonbury, it’s exhausting enough.

If you really feel the need to run then early is definitely the best time. As you know Glasto can get extremely muddy which will exclude most of the site anyway. If I were you the railway line is the best bet for a solid underfoot run. You can go all the way along and back a few times to get a decent distance in. As a few have said, the festival is exercise enough for most. I usually take a step counter and average 45000 steps a day just walking around and dancing.

Edited by Nickyboy

48 minutes ago, Nickyboy said:

I usually take a step counter and average 45000 steps a day just walking around and dancing.

I'll be wearing a fit bit for the first time this year can't wait to see how many steps i do and how many miles I cover over the 5 days.

Be interesting to see how little sleep I survive on too