Main bars drinks selection

Barneym

From memory your basic choice for a pint from the main bars are lager (Tuborg I think), the real ale and cider which I know is changing this year.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t ever remember them having a keg fizzy pale ale for sale, given how common place this has become in every bar does anyone think this will be added to the standard drinks selection this year?

I’m a bit concerned about the new cider. I don’t enjoy beer, lager or ale so cider is my one regular drink at the festival. Thatcher’s was a good average cider. This new one, I’ve never heard of. I suppose if it isn’t that great it’ll encourage me to drink less which would be no bad thing. 

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've no idea, but I agree it makes a lot of sense. At the very least, I'd expect to see more IPA options turning up at the non-standard bars, E.g. Beat Hotel.

There's a craft ale bar in the Theatre and Circus field if that's your bag.

Think it’s a corporate affair tho. *edit* not an independent brewery.

Edited by Wooderson

56 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m a bit concerned about the new cider. I don’t enjoy beer, lager or ale so cider is my one regular drink at the festival. Thatcher’s was a good average cider. This new one, I’ve never heard of. I suppose if it isn’t that great it’ll encourage me to drink less which would be no bad thing. 

If you think that the drinks choices will encourage you to drink less then you may be being too optimistic.

Tuburg has been the only lager choice at festivals for years but that hasn’t stopped me drinking a lake full of it over the three days, haha.

Edited by rivalschools.price

11 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Think it’s a corporate affair tho. *edit* not an independent brewery.

Yeah, l from what I remember it sells well known brands, it's not a chin stroking micro-brewery type affair. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to the drinker.

I think they sell Brewdog and Boston, but I really can't remember. But it's that level of (non)obscurity. Do you remember which beers?

Edited by stuartbert two hats

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, l from what I remember it sells well known brands, it's not a chin stroking micro-brewery type affair. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to the drinker.

I think they sell Brewdog and Boston, but I really can't remember. But it's that level of (non)obscurity. Do you remember which beers?

Have totally missed this exists in 5 festivals, thanks. I’m quite happy on the real ale and cans of warm cider most of the time (I have no idea how people can drink warm lager) but as a first beer of the day from the bars I’m normally in the mood for something cold and fizzy so even a corporate IPA would be great

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Various Brooklyn beers. The fairly standard Brooklyn Lager, plus Scorcher IPA (which is alright) and East IPA. They’re a bit much of a muchness, I really would prefer a sour or a kickass tangerine pale or something just for variety but it’s nevertheless better than Tuborg. 

18 hours ago, kalifire said:

What is the new cider then?

33 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

What is the new cider then?

Mallets - it's made by the same family as make Brothers.  We got a case the other day to try, it's very much in the Strongbow vein, but a bit better tasting.  It won't be my drink of the festival though, still not sure what that will be!

They do a dark fruit as well as an apple one

https://www.malletscider.co.uk/

54 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Mallets - it's made by the same family as make Brothers.  We got a case the other day to try, it's very much in the Strongbow vein, but a bit better tasting.  It won't be my drink of the festival though, still not sure what that will be!

Like strongbow????

Oh god :cry:

57 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Hmm, sounds like a taste test is in order pre-fest!