AOC at Glastonbury?

Keithy

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

That might be re-worded as...

The problem is that it seems it's easier to be a realist in politics and still have support, than it is to promise the moon on a stick and not have every little thing you say completely torn apart.

;) 

It's easy to freeze pay, cut benefits, kick the disabled out of work, drive those who are our most dependent in society to suicide.  It's also easy to say we shouldn't do those things and provide proper support and adequate conditions, calling it unrealistic. 

Remember May's magic money tree?  It's been given a good shake whenever it's been of political benefit to her. 

Edited by HotChipWillBreakYourLegs
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

It's easy to freeze pay, cut benefits, kick the disabled out of work, drive those who are our most dependent in society to suicide.  It's also easy to say we shouldn't do those things and provide proper support and adequate conditions, calling it unrealistic. 

It can only happen if people support it.

And there's another side to your list of nice things, which is what other people will have to give up in order for those things to be provided/available.

As I say, it's easy to promise the moon on a stick.

Remember May's magic money tree?  It's been given a good shake whenever it's been of political benefit to her. 

But it's also been given a shake with limits.

Edited by eFestivals

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It can only happen if people support it.

And there's another side to your list of nice things, which is what other people will have to give up in order for those things to be provided/available.

As I say, it's easy to promise the moon on a stick.

Those advocating the status quo are the ones promising the moon on a stick--it's not sustainable demographically, economically or environmentally, yet they're essentially arguing you don't need to give up anything, we don't need to change anything and everything will be fine! Yet bizarrely they claim they're the realists in the room

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, StLewi said:

Her heart is in the right place, but she's just not very bright. She'll do well at Glasto, though, shouting "fuck Trump/global warming/anyone with a right of centre viewpoint".

That's pretty much all she's capable of. No one, not even her in party takes her ridiculous ideas seriously. I'm not even sure where the notion that she represents "the left" comes from when in reality Pelosi and Schumer have everything by the balls over on the left (which is really center-right compared to most other left-leaning parties in Europe).

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

and how likely is it to happen?

As I say, it's easy to say 'the world should be a better place'.

Someone realizes it... Ocasio-Cortez is playing on populism jist as much as Trump is. It's either this or she truly isn't too bright to be saying what she's saying, considering her economics degree...

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Politics is supposedly 'the art of the possible'.

The problem right now is that there's lots of politicians offering the hope of the impossible.

They might be on the right track with those dreams, but until they can carry enough people with them they're just dreams.

9 minutes ago, herzzreh said:

That's pretty much all she's capable of. No one, not even her in party takes her ridiculous ideas seriously. I'm not even sure where the notion that she represents "the left" comes from when in reality Pelosi and Schumer have everything by the balls over on the left (which is really center-right compared to most other left-leaning parties in Europe).

Someone realizes it... Ocasio-Cortez is playing on populism jist as much as Trump is. It's either this or she truly isn't too bright to be saying what she's saying, considering her economics degree...

The whole 'centrist dad' label was invented because it captured Elle Mae O'Hagan's experience as a left wing woman of being spoken to like she was just a silly little girl. 

It's insulting, feel free to critique her ideas, but saying she's thick while implying you're some sort of brainiac without having to prove this is patronising 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Those advocating the status quo are the ones promising the moon on a stick--it's not sustainable demographically, economically or environmentally, yet they're essentially arguing you don't need to give up anything, we don't need to change anything and everything will be fine! Yet bizarrely they claim they're the realists in the room

Who is advocating the status quo? You invented that part for yourself, in order to give wild claims a credibility they don't necessarily deserve. ;) 

There's a big gap between doing nothing and the perfect world. Somewhere in that gap is what's realistic.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Who is advocating the status quo? You invented that part for yourself, in order to give wild claims a credibility they don't necessarily deserve. ;) 

There's a big gap between doing nothing and the perfect world. Somewhere in that gap is what's realistic.

So what are the 'realistic' changes centrists are advocating? 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

So what are the 'realistic' changes centrists are advocating? 

who said anything about centralists? So it's either a never-critical member of the cult, or you're damned as a centralists or tory? 

I'm simply pointing out that the electorate is what it is. In the USA they voted for Trump, and in this country they keep on voting tory. The extra votes needed are unlikely to be won with the more-extreme policies, however good you or I might think they are.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

She seems nice, heart in the right place but I've no idea why a 29 year old from New York whos been in office for a few weeks would speak to a large gathering on the other side of the Atlantic apart from the fact that she represents "the left". 

Well she can inspire people with her rhetoric and she's also arguably the best dancer in Congress, so I think a combination of the two is what I'm hoping for.

In reality I'd have thought there are a thousand things she can do at home without getting on a plane which are likely to be more directly beneficial to her and the things she supports than getting good PR from people who can have zero impact on whether she gets reelected.

AOC has already had a more impactful political career than 99% of Congress. Given her age, ethnicity and background she has inspired 1000's of women and young people. She's fucking fearless. More power to her, wish we could clone the woman.

• Upvote 1

AOC is without any shadow of a doubt one of the least politically knowledgeable politicians on the scene.  She is embarrassingly naïve and is perfect for the snowflake brigade who seem to fall for anything where they don't have to employ common sense or reason.

If you want to hear common sense and reason I will point you in the direction of the deputy leader of the Lib Dems.  A woman who understands what she's talking about and understands the true impact of policy from a social, political and fiscal perspective.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pipkins said:

AOC is without any shadow of a doubt one of the least politically knowledgeable politicians on the scene.  She is embarrassingly naïve and is perfect for the snowflake brigade who seem to fall for anything where they don't have to employ common sense or reason.

If you want to hear common sense and reason I will point you in the direction of the deputy leader of the Lib Dems.  A woman who understands what she's talking about and understands the true impact of policy from a social, political and fiscal perspective.

If only you hadn't tarnished yourself so much with the expression "snowflake brigade" and your patronising diatribe.

I just had to check the Lib Dems deputy was indeed Jo Swinson after reading the above ? 

Jo Swinson that voted to increase tuition fees and was vocally against increasing minimum wage as part of the coalition government? That Jo Swinson? Aye she's great eh. 

As the ever reliable Wikipedia states: Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a neologistic term used to characterize Millennials andGeneration Z as being more prone to taking offence and having less psychological resilience than previousgenerations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own.

I stand by my statement, or have I triggered you...?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I just had to check the Lib Dems deputy was indeed Jo Swinson after reading the above ? 

Jo Swinson that voted to increase tuition fees and was vocally against increasing minimum wage as part of the coalition government? That Jo Swinson? Aye she's great eh. 

You had a choice, compromise on one issue (which was being called for by the Universities so they could remain competitive globally) and get the majority of the Lib Dem manifesto through, or side with Labour who refused to get rid of G Brown (a major liability and the sticking point for collaboration) or letting the Tory's run the country by themselves.  If the Lib Dems were the winning party then there would have been free edu.  But they weren't.  Unfortunately the snowflakes looked only at the headlines and not the facts and the background story.  Besides which, both Labour and the Tory's were seeking fees, and it was only because of Lib Dem intervention that the payback threshold was set at 21k and not 18k!

13 minutes ago, 1986 said:

What are the outlandish or "stupid" things that's she's supposed to have suggested or pushed for?

Pay a living wage to all those unwilling to work. Completely phase out air travel within 10 years. 

Edited by StLewi

9 minutes ago, Pipkins said:

As the ever reliable Wikipedia states: Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a neologistic term used to characterize Millennials andGeneration Z as being more prone to taking offence and having less psychological resilience than previousgenerations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own.

All the indications here that you are a 'broflake' 

There's nothing more boring in the current political landscape than the terms 'snowflake' and 'triggered' 

Grow up

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Pipkins said:

Ah "triggered", you've confirmed it, well done.

3 minutes ago, Pipkins said:

'a man who is readily upset or offended by progressive attitudes'

No, that's not me.  Not upset by progress, just mindless stupidity by anybody who thinks everyone's entitled to an opinion as long as it agrees with theirs!

"...that conflict with his more conventional or conservative views; however, its usage is not limited to men and might apply more generally to those who claim to not be easily offended–yet often are."

Nice cherrypicking