Ian Cognito - RIP

5co77ie

one of the great comedy stars and a regular in the Glastonbury Comedy tent has passed away today.

He brought such laughter to the fields of Avalon with his comedy genius - I'll sorely miss him, the great comedy tent in the sky will be all the richer now.

Irish comedian Martin Mor broke the news saying:

The comedian Ian Cognito has passed away.
He was an outrageously funny act, and offstage was a kind, beautiful, troubled man.
He also owned a pint glass that held two pints.

I don’t think we will see his like again.

I think he's right RIP you funny man

Volksfest2011-IanCognito-KAW02.JPG

Edited by 5co77ie

His book is worth a read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comedians-Tale-Ian-Cognito-ebook/dp/B00E1FQXEC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ian+cognito&qid=1555081631&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Saw him many times at Glasto, the last time he was on at midnight and arrived completely out of it. Got through about half his set, stopped, looked a bit confused, then started again about a quarter of the way through. This continued for a good half an hour, getting somewhere, losing track, then going back. We heard some bits three or four times. At this point various people were just arriving in the tent from elsewhere, confused as to why some of us were absolutely pissing ourselves at bits that weren't even jokes. 

This was followed by a brief interlude where he climbed up on the barrier, fell off, and quite literally nearly broke his neck, at which point the stage manager appeared and unsuccessfully tried to ease him off stage (party because he was overrunning by 15 minutes at this point. Cogs then started into his closing bit, you could see the relief on the manager's face, as he knew that at that point he would come off. He gets halfway through it, stops, then restarts about halfway through the set. 

I mean, were this anyone else, I'd have been concerned that they were not well. But it was Ian Cognito, so it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen.

Of course he ended up dying on stage, the silly c**t. He'll be missed.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hurdy said:

Where was that at? 

The Victoria, played twice when me pal had his comedy night there manilla road. Came on with a uke sang a song called Ken Barlow is a Peado and said now that’s a way to start f’ing gig!

nuts!

• 1 month later...